U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,778,428 times

Advertisements

Locally their is a big billboard from some "growing your neighborhood" type coalition, with a big picture of Mister Rogers, and a statement below saying: "Won't you be my neighbor?"

Everytime I see it on the way to Home Depot, I say, "Not a chance! You're DEAD! I'm not ready to be your neighbor yet!!" I wonder if the advertising people don't know he's dead. Or maybe most people don't know he's dead.

I want to deface the sign with a big "NO, 'cause he's dead" in black letters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:22 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,817,345 times
Look for a web site on the ad and write them an email

Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
There have to be more pressing things to think about and gnaw on. It was his signature saying/song and the billboard appeals to the type of civility and community he was trying to teach children and gave them a sense of belonging - something that is all too fast becoming a lost art and social more in all too many places.

We have the same billboard near here and it always makes me smile and invokes memories of simpler, more pleasant times of yore. It also makes me ever thankful for the small, park-like, rural community in which we retired because here, neighbors DO look out for and help/support neighbors. It's ever so refreshing; especially in comparison to when we came from.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 AM

930 posts, read 1,639,766 times
People sure like to post a lot of trivialities around here. I wasn't aware of any rule that you had to be alive to be on a billboard....I guess that means all those ads for the latest Michael Jackson concert film have to come down...

Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Locally their is a big billboard from some "growing your neighborhood" type coalition, with a big picture of Mister Rogers, and a statement below saying: "Won't you be my neighbor?"

Everytime I see it on the way to Home Depot, I say, "Not a chance! You're DEAD! I'm not ready to be your neighbor yet!!" I wonder if the advertising people don't know he's dead. Or maybe most people don't know he's dead.

I want to deface the sign with a big "NO, 'cause he's dead" in black letters.
LOL. I'll hold the ladder.

United Airlines came under some fire a few months ago when one of their signs with the slogan "“You’re going to like where we land" appeared at the entrance to the Cortlandt Street subway station in NYC, which is across the street from the World Trade Center. Oops.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
People sure like to post a lot of trivialities around here. I wasn't aware of any rule that you had to be alive to be on a billboard....I guess that means all those ads for the latest Michael Jackson concert film have to come down...
Dude! WE'RE RETIRED!

This is a time when you get to pause and think about the funny trivial things in life that you never had time to chuckle over. And you can smell the flowers too.

And as such, we sometimes post these funny things here for other retired folks to get a kick out of also.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
lol. I'll hold the ladder.

United airlines came under some fire a few months ago when one of their signs with the slogan "“you’re going to like where we land" appeared at the entrance to the cortlandt street subway station in nyc, which is across the street from the world trade center. Oops.
rotflmao!!!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
There have to be more pressing things to think about and gnaw on. It was his signature saying/song and the billboard appeals to the type of civility and community he was trying to teach children and gave them a sense of belonging - something that is all too fast becoming a lost art and social more in all too many places.

We have the same billboard near here and it always makes me smile and invokes memories of simpler, more pleasant times of yore.
Why? I certainly have more pressing things, but now I have the time for the less pressing things to smile about. I fully know what DR Rogers signature was. he was an educator of major renown. As an elementary school counselor for 33 years, and working in mental health with children for more that 40 years before I retired, I almost idolized Dr Rogers.

But it is just plain funny that they would use his theme phrase in a bilboard. Because, taken literally, it suggests that IF I REALLY want to be HIS NEIGHBOR, and he's dead, I would need really to be dead!!

I think its ROTFLMAO time! But of course, I know what they were trying to say. I even find the double entendre hilarious!!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Why? I certainly have more pressing things, but now I have the time for the less pressing things to smile about. I fully know what DR Rogers signature was. he was an educator of major renown. As an elementary school counselor for 33 years, and working in mental health with children for more that 40 years before I retired, I almost idolized Dr Rogers.

But it is just plain funny that they would use his theme phrase in a bilboard. Because, taken literally, it suggests that IF I REALLY want to be HIS NEIGHBOR, and he's dead, I would need really to be dead!!

I think its ROTFLMAO time! But of course, I know what they were trying to say. I even find the double entendre hilarious!!
LOL! Taken literally, it is humorous. However, for as much good as he did, and it was legion, if you believe in an afterlife you could do worse than to join him! But mind you, that's a long-term plan I have no pressing desire to see fulfilled any time soon.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 AM

28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
No big deal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or