U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 03:34 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,856,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There's a lot more to government waste than subsidizing studies on Chinese prostitutes. This is the best one so far:

Gov't paid $600 million in benefits to dead people (USA Today/Money)

Gov't paid $600 million in benefits to dead people....
What really bothers me is that most of these dead people will probably get their vote counted in the next election!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 03:04 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,330,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Ah. Thanks for the explanation.

I am one of those still working and paying taxes. Members of my immdiate family are simply not able to work and pay taxes. They are getting what you call "entitlements". But for them, it can't be temporary. Their disability is not going to go away.
As I said . . . there are folks who need assistance and should receive it. I would assume if your family members are receiving disability thru/ SS, they paid into the system in order to receive those benefits. As I clearly stated, when tax money is INVESTED in a particular program (i.e., social security) then it is not the same type of entitlement as those wh/ do not require any sort of previous investment by the recipient.

The frail, elderly, children and disabled need a helping hand. I do not think anyone would want them to NOT receive assistance!

Likewise, I don't believe any taxpayer would disagree that people who have made a lifestyle out of GAMING the system should be prosecuted for fraud. Most of us have worked hard to raise our kids and support our families . . . people who have chosen to reproduce, sit on their arses and make a "living" out of a welfare check and freebies purchased with our tax dollars are society's parasites. Why these folks think the rest of us owe them shelter, food and medical care is incomprehensible.

Obviously, I am not referring to those who have fallen on hard times or who have health problems that have kept them from being able to work and take care of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement