Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:19 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
It may depend on who it is as far as "will they." (I doubt I, me, would have the courage to ask. I might try to hint in some way. Ex: Maybe my parent had two vehicles and I liked one, or the other. I might let my parent know my feelings about that vehicle. Maybe they give to me and maybe they do not, all up to them)

If it is your parents or brothers or sisters they may very well remember you in some way in their will.
The final decisions are their's.

I have an Uncle who has alot of money, over 1.5 million.
He has 3 daughters. One is retired and visits every day, one lives 400 miles away and the other one is local, but she is not really a family person though she has kids. But, he still plans to divide things evenly, not to penalize the one who got a job far away, or the one that is not the most social person in the world.

Then you may encounter parents who will leave more to the son or daughter that was emotionally close to them, or helped them the most.

Some times wills are not considered fair by one person or the other.
My Father divided his money 50-50, his personal property 50-50, and requested that my Mother leave her house to my sibling and he left me his house.
Of course my sibling and their spouse cried bloody murder and still do.
I know they are slowly brain washing my Mother, so they get from her, what my Father did not give them, in their opinion.
So you mean your Dad left you his house, and expected your Mom to take care of your sibling, but she's still planning on splitting her will 50-50? (sorry if I missed an earlier post)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
??????

Why not get more stuff - especially to replace and/or upgrade stuff you have? Am I dead at age 64? Keeping my old towels until they're threadbare? And why start giving away whatever you have at such an early age?

And - if you're 80 - and have grandchildren - they are most likely 20 something or so. And don't have the ability to care for or insure expensive stuff. And perhaps don't appreciate the stuff either. I have a whole house full of mid century modern furniture and home decor (including dishes - flatware - etc.) that I've put together over the years. There is no one in my family who cares about this stuff as much as I do - or who would take care of it either.

Perhaps when you are talking about "family heirlooms" - you are talking about items that have next to zero dollar value - sentimental value only. Or maybe not. When we had parents die - my husband and I put together all of their disorganized photos into family albums. Took us days and days. And when we gave them to siblings - well no one gave a flying f***. Big waste of time IMO (except for the stuff we kept ourselves).

So - is anyone giving away big money stuff today to anyone? Or even putting stickers on it and promising it to anyone? Although I don't have a problem living in retirement - many people with big money stuff may have to sell it to live ok in today's retirement investing environment. Robyn
Yes, I've thought of that, too. I have my parents' old photos going back to the '40's, plus my own photo albums diligently compiled every time I got a new set of pictures developed. I'm an only child, and my son (in his 30's) has no interest in family stuff. I often wonder if my albums will just end up being tossed....if he has no children, who would really care about them? Oh well...at least I can enjoy them while I'm around.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 AM

14,450 posts, read 20,627,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
So you mean your Dad left you his house, and expected your Mom to take care of your sibling, but she's still planning on splitting her will 50-50? (sorry if I missed an earlier post)
My Mother will leave her house to my sibling.
What she will do with her car, personal property, etc. is up to her.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:59 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I let them know when I put someone on my beneficiary list.
Do you let them know when you take them off? We've had wills for decades - and they have certainly changed over the years. Robyn

Old 10-19-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yes, I've thought of that, too. I have my parents' old photos going back to the '40's, plus my own photo albums diligently compiled every time I got a new set of pictures developed. I'm an only child, and my son (in his 30's) has no interest in family stuff. I often wonder if my albums will just end up being tossed....if he has no children, who would really care about them? Oh well...at least I can enjoy them while I'm around.
I have pictures that are even older - some from the 19th century from my grandparents. My husband and I learned an important lesson from that. Now - we don't do things because we think other people would like them - we do them for ourselves.

FWIW - just to give you an idea how people can be. When my mother died - my father got a new girlfriend in about 3 months - and moved in with her after 6. She wouldn't allow his family pictures in her house (even of his children and grandchildren! - I can understand the wife thing) - so he tossed them and that's how we wound up with them.

Or with my late FIL - my husband (POA) had to sell his house when he was alive (he was in a SNF). And my husband thought he would sell the entire non-sentimental contents of the house through a contents auction place. But - once some of my inlaws who lived near there got wind of this - they simply went into the house - and took almost everything of value. The auction guy saw what was left - and wasn't interested in it.

Bottom line - keep your stuff - at least the stuff you like - the stuff that has meaning to you - and/or the stuff that is valuable - as long as possible. And throw away those old faded towels and buy new ones . Robyn

Old 10-19-2011, 05:43 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,797,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Do you let them know when you take them off? We've had wills for decades - and they have certainly changed over the years. Robyn
I have never taken any one of them off. By the way, can you add an animal in there?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:02 PM

You can set up something to benefit an animal - but I think you'll need a person to take care of the details:

Leona Helmsley's Dog Trouble, Richest in World, Dies at 12 - ABC News

Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement