U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:13 AM

7,342 posts, read 16,685,333 times

Advertisements

I never had a weight problem 'til I hit the 50 mark and then it started going on and hasn't come off for the last 12 yrs. When people say "age and gaining weight just go hand-in-hand", I really believe they are right. Of course, past surgeries/physical limitations don't help either! And, neither does great home cooking and not enough exercise (again, physical limitations). Wife and I both have a little "extra weight" problem, but both of us started obtaining that after we went over the 50 mark, but we really feel for those older folks that have had to battle a weight problem most of their life. Now, in our early-mid 60's, both of us are having a he** of a time trying to take off 20 lbs. We know that a lot of our "losing weight" problems are our own.......what we eat/too much of and lack of exercise. BUT, what would it be like watching an NFL game without pizza or snack and a cold 6-pak of beer? I really don't want to know/find out, but........
Of course, like already mentioned, we've both had surgeries that have limited what we can do for exercise. Of course medications can retain or promote weight, but neither of us are on meds that would do that.
Oh how we both wish we could look like we did 15 to 20 yrs ago! Yea, like that's really going to happen. Don't have the finances for that!
Anyway, anyone else have the same thing happen to them concerning age and weight, past surgeries and food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:41 AM

1,779 posts, read 2,453,855 times
I know what you mean. But I've discovered when I'm working hard in the yard, I eat about double the amount I would just doing wimp things like housework. So try to adjust your eating to your activity level. Join a hiking group - that's fun and easy. Also, try to eat much less meat. Being vegetarian makes it easier to keep the weight off. (104 lbs and holding!)

Old 09-23-2011, 09:51 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,795,112 times
Default Age and metabolism, and excuses, excuses, excuses

Our metabolism slows with age, meaning that the same amount of food will pack on more weight than previously. Exercise largely reverses the decrease in metabolism. The OP is real big on excuses, such as having to have pizza while watching a football game. What an absurdity! If you want to eat, fine, but you can find something healthier than pizza. So the excuse on exercise is past surgeries. I can understand that past surgeries may well rule out certain forms of exercise, but the question to the OP would be, "Can you still walk?" If the answer is yes, then that's what you need to be doing, at least five days a week. If you aren't doing that and you could be doing that, then you are engaged in self-deluding excuses, the big one being how much harder it is after age 50.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:26 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,585,594 times
Watch the television show biggest loser, anyone can exercise. It just a mental thing.....

Old 09-23-2011, 10:33 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,361,425 times
Yes, but we want to enjoy ourselves, right?

As they say, "everything in moderation, including moderation".

Nothing wrong with a slice of pizza once in a while. But make it healthy pizza, vegetarian perhaps, and pay attention to portion control. And keep the drinking in check as well.

And if you're mobility-impaired in some way but can walk, do so, as much as possible.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 AM

5,200 posts, read 8,725,142 times
Smile Also thin but

When I came into this world, I weighed 1 pound 9 ounces - born at 26 weeks. Throughout my childhood, always thin - forced to eat things I steer from today.

It wasn't until I was pregnant with my first child that I gained weight and really exploded eating wise. I went from 108 to 150. Then, I lost but only got down to around 120. Pregnant again - gained up to 140 - lost the baby at 5 months. Got back down to 130 but I was grieving and turned to comfort foods too often. Then, pregnant again starting at 130 up to 160.

After that time, I got a personal trainer and got back down to 125 and kept it there. Around 11 years ago, though, after the death of my father and a job change, I turned again to the comfort foods and 3 years later, I was 183!!! I then worked out, ate right and 8 months later, I was 135. No pills, nada. Kept it there until a big hurricane and my daughter and I pigged out on the wrong foods. So, now, 6 years later, I'm in the 160-170 range and need to get down to the 135 level or less.

Weight Watchers is really the way. No pills. But, I'm trying and I'm learning to eat the right things now. Working out is good but if you can't do that, try swimming. (I love to swim but I love the big pools and I just have a small 15x30 one). Hopefully, by the end of the year, I'll be under 150 - going slow, real slow. I now need to really take it off. No fooling around.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM

12,887 posts, read 15,488,471 times
20 lbs is really no big deal......I think it does become easier to gain weight, and harder to loose it at an older age....but that's just because you've accepted that you'd rather be built for comfort...not for speed.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:16 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,315,898 times
No doubt about it being harder to lose excess weight after age 50 - especially when compounded by medical issues - and just as hard to maintain a healthy weight if you do lose it. And I agree that I don't want to deprive myself of good food and drink especially since most social occasions seem to revolve around those activities. But a few months ago I decided to get serious about losing and joined Weight Watchers online. I have lost 15 lbs and I'm feeling good about losing another 10 which will get me to the weight that my doctor wants me to be. And I'm even thinking I may be able to lose another 10 lbs or so beyond that to get me to the weight I always felt best at during most of my adult life. The good thing about Weight Watchers is that you are allowed to eat things that many other diets ban; the secret is portion control. I am still able to enjoy my 2 glasses of wine in the evenings, and I still do my lunch and dinner dates with friends.

After losing the first few lbs I was motivated enough to drag my exercise bike out of the basement and into the living room and while it doesn't do a lot for my decorating motif, the convenience does get me on it almost every day. And I have developed other healthy habits - walking the dog for 30 minutes every day, and parking in spots a little less convenient to my destination so I have to walk.

It's not easy but the results are worth it.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:35 AM

Ok, some explaining is due here:

I was very skinny in high school (98 lbs/6') and was extremely lucky the Navy kept me while in Boot Camp. Luckily, the Navy did put some weight on me and after the Navy, I pretty much maintained a nice constant weight even though I could eat cake, cookies, full steak dinner......whatever.

As far as the hiking goes, my hip replacement surgeon told me "absolutely not" to that.

The OP, me, is not "real big on excuses", as you said. Nothing wrong with pizza and a few beers while watching a game. Pehaps that's not your idea of fun and how to watch a game, but it is ours! Again, nothing wrong with pizza, beer and an NFL game! We do walk, but don't do it every night......we sure aren't that devoted to exercise! Due to my hip replacement and ankle surgery some years ago and her one surgery, we can't walk far, but we do walk. We went to our local zoo last year and walked around and stood for about 3 hrs. I felt a achiness in both the hip and ankle, but finished walking the zoo. After getting home, I could hardly walk on the ankle! It took me 3 days of cold packs and Motrin to get rid of the swelling! With my past rotator cuff surgery, I gotta watch lifting any kind of weights at all.

Do like what Wwanderer says about having pizza, but any kind of pure vegetarian food......."no thanks!" from both of us. We like meat way too much! And, I think having two beers each with a pizza is doing fine!

The biggest difficulty is: eating/drinking what we want, getting a little exercise, but still wanting to lose weight. Do any of you know how many people in all age brackets want to do just that. Pretty amazing.
In other words, many of us complain about weight, but don't want to change our lifestyle to lose it. Fairly normal thought pattern for lots of people.

Last edited by LoveBoating; 09-23-2011 at 11:43 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 AM

I knew a lady 23 yrs ago that went on NutriSystem or WW (not sure which) and lost 30 pounds. I would go with her to an office to pick up her food. Only thing was, some months after she lost that 30 pounds, she had a emotional thing happen in her life.......gained it all back and some!
We are thinking about buying a couple of bikes for Christmas, but they sure aren't cheap. Won't buy a used one though. Thoughts of getting another dog are also there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
No doubt about it being harder to lose excess weight after age 50 - especially when compounded by medical issues - and just as hard to maintain a healthy weight if you do lose it. And I agree that I don't want to deprive myself of good food and drink especially since most social occasions seem to revolve around those activities. But a few months ago I decided to get serious about losing and joined Weight Watchers online. I have lost 15 lbs and I'm feeling good about losing another 10 which will get me to the weight that my doctor wants me to be. And I'm even thinking I may be able to lose another 10 lbs or so beyond that to get me to the weight I always felt best at during most of my adult life. The good thing about Weight Watchers is that you are allowed to eat things that many other diets ban; the secret is portion control. I am still able to enjoy my 2 glasses of wine in the evenings, and I still do my lunch and dinner dates with friends.

After losing the first few lbs I was motivated enough to drag my exercise bike out of the basement and into the living room and while it doesn't do a lot for my decorating motif, the convenience does get me on it almost every day. And I have developed other healthy habits - walking the dog for 30 minutes every day, and parking in spots a little less convenient to my destination so I have to walk.

It's not easy but the results are worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or