U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times

Advertisements

Ah growing up in the shadow of "the bomb." I remember in high school the boys used the line about how a girl should give it up today because they could drop the bomb tomorrow.

And remember "Duck and Cover?" As if scrunching under a desk would save us from being blown to bits or radiation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,514,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Did Bullet get stuffed too?
Yes! From an article at the end of last year, after the Roy Rogers Museum in Branson closed, here's what happened:

"After 40 years in a stuffy museum with his favorite equine at his side, it’s happy trails for Bullet the Wonder Dog, the faithful friend of Roy Rogers. The taxidermed dog sold at a NYC auction of 1,000 items that belonged to the TV cowboy. Trigger, Rogers’ famed horse, sold for a whinny-worthy $266,000, according to an AP story.

The horse and dog will soon resurrect their TV career together. The buyer of both animals is rural cable company RFD-TV, which plans to air old Roy Rogers movies starting this fall. Rogers’ son, Roy Rogers Jr., will introduce each film, with Bullet and Trigger behind him."

Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,776,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
And remember "Duck and Cover?" As if scrunching under a desk would save us from being blown to bits or radiation.
I know!!! You see all those videos of the bombs being exploded in Nevada, with the houses getting blown away!!! Like this:

Atomic Bomb Footage - YouTube

We had family friends that had a bomb shelter, it was kind of cool to go down inside, until it filled up with water.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes! From an article at the end of last year, after the Roy Rogers Museum in Branson closed, here's what happened:

"After 40 years in a stuffy museum with his favorite equine at his side, itís happy trails for Bullet the Wonder Dog, the faithful friend of Roy Rogers. The taxidermed dog sold at a NYC auction of 1,000 items that belonged to the TV cowboy. Trigger, Rogersí famed horse, sold for a whinny-worthy $266,000, according to an AP story.

The horse and dog will soon resurrect their TV career together. The buyer of both animals is rural cable company RFD-TV, which plans to air old Roy Rogers movies starting this fall. Rogersí son, Roy Rogers Jr., will introduce each film, with Bullet and Trigger behind him."
That's very cool! Thanks Curmudgeon.

Dale Evans and Annie Oakley (Gail Davis) were my heroes. I liked the cowboys too but it was great seeing some women in action few that they were.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
I know!!! You see all those videos of the bombs being exploded in Nevada, with the houses getting blown away!!! Like this:

Atomic Bomb Footage - YouTube

We had family friends that had a bomb shelter, it was kind of cool to go down inside, until it filled up with water.
And no one in those days thought to spare the children the fear. I remember the Ed Sullivan show had an animation that showed what happened at Hiroshima and Nagasaki after the bomb was dropped on those cities.

It had the faces of people and animals falling off. It was just a crude animation but it gave me nightmares for months afterwards. I think I was six or seven years old. They didn't see fit to warn parents it might scare the kids before showing it.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:36 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,841,272 times

I miss Cisco and Pancho, then again there were three children between my sister and I that didn't get to grow up.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 AM

7,341 posts, read 16,660,022 times
I've got a documentary dvd called When The Cowboy Was King showing a number of the old Western tv/movie cowboys and cowgirls. Quite interesting. Gene Autry had Roy in a fight scene in one of his movies and asked Roy "can you sing better than you can fight?" and Roy said "yea". It went from there!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,841,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I've got a documentary dvd called When The Cowboy Was King showing a number of the old Western tv/movie cowboys and cowgirls. Quite interesting. Gene Autry had Roy in a fight scene in one of his movies and asked Roy "can you sing better than you can fight?" and Roy said "yea". It went from there!
Cisco (Duncan Renaldo) was in the country illegally, a refugee from the Spanish Civil War, he was given citizenship by Congress. Pancho (leo Carillo) was one of the richest men in California. His family sold William Randolph Hearst his ranch.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,514,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Cisco (Duncan Renaldo) was in the country illegally, a refugee from the Spanish Civil War, he was given citizenship by Congress. Pancho (leo Carillo) was one of the richest men in California. His family sold William Randolph Hearst his ranch.
"Ohhh! Cisco."

"Ohhh! Pancho."

Can't imagine any comebacks on that show any more than Amos 'n Andy, but enjoyed both of them in their day.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 AM

2,903 posts, read 4,588,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Yet I was conditioned all those years that "girls don't go to college, girls become secretaries and get married" while my brothers were encouraged to go to college and had money set aside for them for that purpose. The message I received was from my parents, teachers, and guidance counselors, and it was in our faces in pretty much everything we were exposed to - television, magazines, books, movies, everywhere you looked. I was not allowed to drive the family car when I turned 16, for the simple reason that I was a girl, yet my brothers were allowed to drive it.
OMG...did we grow up in the same family? I faced the SAME issues with regard to college and driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement