Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:58 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,556,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Today's teenagers will be talking about how good things were now, about forty years from now.
Only if they continue to get worse. I think american upto 65 did not want to go back tot eh 20"s or 30's.We have always seen experiments in society like the 20 's and 60's that were later rejected after trying them. That ios not to say everyhtig if a chpocie would be keep on a journey back in time. But we are talkig about our experiences not anther and what our life was lioke. Actually the 60's before 65 wasmy best uears remembered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:30 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,585,535 times
Didn't take this thread very long to go from Rin Tin Tin to Helen Gurley Brown's Cosmo Girls.

http://www.southafrica.to/transport/...happy-hour.gif

Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,334,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex dav View Post
Only if they continue to get worse. I think american upto 65 did not want to go back tot eh 20"s or 30's.We have always seen experiments in society like the 20 's and 60's that were later rejected after trying them. That is not to say everything if a choice would be keep on a journey back in time. But we are talking about our experiences not anther and what our life was like. Actually the 60's before 65 was my best years remembered.
That's true. I am enjoying the reminiscences of various posters. It does seem many of us liked being kids a lot in those days.

I wonder if Rin Tin Tin is being rerun on TV. I would love to see it again.

Yo! Rinty!

Old 10-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jacket View Post
Didn't take this thread very long to go from Rin Tin Tin to Helen Gurley Brown's Cosmo Girls.

http://www.southafrica.to/transport/...happy-hour.gif
You need to catch up. We past that awhile ago. Why do you want to resurrect it?

Not mention the fact that Ms Brown has absolutetly nothing to do with anyone's comment.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,532,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
One thing for sure, I would not want to be a kid today in the present world.
For once you and I are in complete agrrement.

I too am from the Chicago area. I grew up in Riverside.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
For once you and I are in complete agrrement.

I too am from the Chicago area. I grew up in Riverside.
Glad to hear it! Debate makes the world go 'round but it's good to
be able to agree sometimes too.

We are both certainly a long way from our original homes.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 PM

6,873 posts, read 11,191,509 times
Smile Looking back....

I had a very sheltered childhood. Grew up in the northern suburbs of Chicago and then South Florida, actually kind of both for a while.

Kids went out to play and didn't come home until dinnertime. I think a lot of us miss that aspect. We never worried about crime but it was there. We just didn't have the news 24/7.

Sometimes, there's just TMI.

There was an innocence and you were a child (it seemed) longer than today.
I think I was a late bloomer anyway.

But, then I look back at all the inequality and the racism and I am embarassed. My parents weren't like that - my mother had 2 MBA's - but I guess some families were.

I do remember my father making all us girls get permanents (hated that) and to this day, I detest short, curly hair (on me) - it's past my shoulders, super straight.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,115,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Jokingly, but also seriously I tell people all the time "yes, as long as I can take my cell phone and lap top!"
Your thoughts?
Also good coffee and TV remote controls. Remember how we kids were the remote controls?

My laptop and Internet pretty much offset anything bad about living in the present times. The ability to read almost any book online without having to trudge over to the library, to see any movie without going to a theater (and yet still having theaters if one wants the full-blown experience!), to read almost any newspaper in the world for free, to converse with people around the world in an instant like this, or through email, for kids to play games infinitely better than the lame board games we had (admit it), free music and videos of every imaginable kind ..... and how much better is email than snail mail!

But I'd second the idea so many here have expressed, that childhoods were so much better then. Our play time was with each other and mainly outdoors - in fact I was pushed out of doors if I stayed in too long on summer vacation. We didn't have the cool video games and internet to make us want to stay indoors, nor had parents developed the array of bogeymen that make them hover over children constantly now. It's easy to see why so many kids are fat now, even without the array of appetite-stimulating junk foods available now.

We did have our junk foods of course, but burned them off with the day's playing. We had the ice cream and candy, and everyone thought highly of Wonder Bread except for my stodgy Old World parents. There was something special about Kool-Aid to a child ...... it's nothing but mutagenic dyes, sugar, and artificial flavors, but the colors and the coldness, and the dew on glass, were so awesome coming in thirsty from a ball game. Those bright dyes offered more than they delivered - the flavor couldn't touch real lemonade made by a competent grandmother, which was more than simply lemon juice and sugar added to water (I did discover the secret ingredient recently).

Things were simpler and easier. One income, the man's, was enough to buy a house and a car, and basic appliances. People weren't as greedy, because there were fewer consumer goods to lust after. Women were happy enough with their homemaker roles (seriously, all the ones I talked to were fine with the traditional division of labors). My impression is that very few women were involved with the demands and changes of women's lib until the early 70s, when it became more trendy in the general population. Still, it's good that a woman now is not excluded from certain professions, as they certainly were back then. Basic rights are a funny thing ...... people deserve them, even if acknowledging them doesn't always turn out to be the best thing for the happiness and stability of a society.

It was all right for women to work or go to college (for liberal arts), until they were married. After that it was frowned on, unless they were magazine editors or in the fashion industry.

There was only one minority in New England back then: Negroes or Colored People. Everyone else was European or a WASP. The only Hispanic person was Ricky Ricardo on the I Love Lucy Show. Blacks had it pretty bad back then even up North: practically speaking they were only hired for "n* work" such as garbage man, burglars, janitors, cooks, delivery, or factory work (on the line, never as supervisors). They were the butt of rather frequent practical jokes in my Massachusetts home town, things that would get white people beaten to death nowadays. I remember my sister-in-law would take me around in her car and shoot blanks from a revolver when we passed black pedestrians. She would laugh hysterically when they ducked and ran, and then she'd speed off.

Yeah, it's definitely a mixed bag, between then and now. Life is so much easier and more convenient in many ways now, and the combined knowledge, wisdom and arts of human history are literally at my fingertips right now. But as several of you have said, for a child growing up it was certainly better then.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:55 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,400,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I do remember my father making all us girls get permanents (hated that) and to this day, I detest short, curly hair (on me) - it's past my shoulders, super straight.
Ugh...permanents. The cycle in our house was like this: Mom had our hair cut short and permed for the first day of school in September. By the following summer, our hair was long enough to put in a ponytail, but as September approached...the dreaded hair cut/perm loomed on the horizon.

Like you, I detest short, curly hair on myself. My hair hasn't been short since I was a senior in high school...and I like it that way.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,201,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Kids went out to play and didn't come home until dinnertime. I think a lot of us miss that aspect. We never worried about crime but it was there. We just didn't have the news 24/7.

Sometimes, there's just TMI.

There was an innocence and you were a child (it seemed) longer than today.
I think I was a late bloomer anyway.

But, then I look back at all the inequality and the racism and I am embarassed. My parents weren't like that - my mother had 2 MBA's - but I guess some families were.
I like your post. Each era has its positive and negatives. I would not go back to the 50s and 60s for many reasons, however, chief among them being the progress we have made in creating equal opportunity for all Americans. And I say this as white male.

I am sad to think, however that some of the innocence and best aspects of childhood have been lost. Playing outdoors from sun-up to sunset in all kinds of weather, no fear of weapons in schools, real v virtual friends, cyber-bullying, etc. are all quite sad to me. Further, the 24/7 news culture you referenced has only entrenched our thinking, polarized our society, gridlocked our government and coarsened our dialogue (one need only look at some of the posts on CD to see folks who crudely demonize anyone who disagrees even the slightest with any doctrine they have embraced).

No, I would not go back to 50s and 60s for anything. I only wish we could bring back some of the civility of that era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement