U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:00 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,945,414 times

Advertisements

Yah...HiHo Silver...and back I go to 50's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:08 PM

4,075 posts, read 6,417,506 times
You mean those days when neighbors were neighbors. Children respected their elders. When we had real springs and no thunderstorms on a snow day. There was penny candy a child could buy simply by returning soda bottles. Milkmen and paper routes. Real food without questionable additives. Children actually developed their imaginations by listening to radio serials. (Special effects limited only to your imagination). No boom cars! Cars you could really work on. $.20 a gallon gas. Party lines. Barrel sauerkraut and kosher pickles. Stick ball and bottlecap, all you needed was a stick a ball or a bottlecap and a piece of chalk. Fresh food markets selling food that wasn't bagged, canned, dried, or frozen. Music you could dance to and romance to. For those of us who are old enough these were the best times of our lives and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 PM

2,042 posts, read 3,627,365 times
polio~ measles ~ mumps~ scarlet fever~ 5'2" senior in high school pretty much ostrisized. fially was accepted on first date at 21. I am definitely doing a lot better now that I've grown to 6'1" and after retired military~ own construction business and retired! No thanks going back....just ask the younger generation how much they fear polio

Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,678,709 times
Interesting discussion. . . .I pretty much agree with those who remember the good things, but I also had plenty of experience with the discrimination back then, too. No, I wouldn't go back. . . . .Life is a lot more stressful now, but also a lot more honest!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,564,883 times
For me it was the best of times. I'm a WASP lived in a WASP city, Toronto. I had an extremely stable childhood with a lot of love and care. I loved my home in downtown Toronto where my mom was also raised. I lived in a great community with good schools, parks, good cops and there was very little trouble.

Even though it was the best of times for me. I would not turn the clock back because it was not the best of times for others. We lived in a very insular society and change and differences were feared and disliked. The man who owned the fruit market at the corner was a third generation Italian and was still seen as a foreigner and not entirely trusted for that alone. Things started to change at an ever increasing rate in the mid 60's and they haven't stoped yet. The society we have now is far more interesting and stimulating than it was back in the good old days.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:29 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
I'd go back in a heartebat to the 50-s thru mid 60's After that america became much less civil really. Overall its a much more violent america now with too many thugs around.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 PM

11,932 posts, read 20,383,027 times
I grew up with an electric wringer washer -- no thank you. Wash day was an ORDEAL. Today is plenty nice.

In my opinion (as I sit here on the computer with my cell phone right in front of me) you can STILL live as simply as they did. It's choice you have to make. AND you can do it with all the mod-cons we have, today. You have to choose to disconnect from all that.

There are things that have disappeared, maybe to never come back -- like bowling leagues. And friends are so far flung, that no one "pops over" after dinner for coffee and cake. Hell -- a lot of my friends don't even have coffeemakers -- they get their daily jolt at Starbucks.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 PM

34,682 posts, read 33,681,492 times
As long as I could go back to a different family, yes.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:07 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,639,547 times
Some highly interesting and hilarious thoughts so far!
Wife and I grew during the 50's and 60's. She graduated from high school in '67 and I in '68. I went to a County Consolidated school where grades K thru 12 were all in the same building in a small town. A long hallway separated K-Gradeschool from the high school. There was only one black family of kids at the school, but I never saw them. I was farm raised, so getting up early (5:30AM) to feed/water livestock was a common everyday thing.......and in the wintertime, not fun at all! Trudging thru inches-to-feet of snow sometimes and literally freezing my a** off taking hot water from the house down to the barn for watering hogs and chickens! Wife was raised in a suburbian area, doing none of that (lucky her). I ice skated on a small pond by our house and on the driveway when it froze over. I had a tire swing on a tree next to the barn. I got a transistor radio for my 16 birthday......I was thrilled! I got a Daisy BB gun (rifle) for Christmas the same year. Because sparrows crapped all over our farm machinery, my dad told me "kill as many as you want to". So, at night, I'd hit the barn, turn on the light inside and start shooting sparrows sitting in the rafters. Later, I had a neighbor friend join me with his Daisy. TV was black & white and one of my parents favorite shows was Lawrence Welk on Saturday nights. I tried to stay in my bedroom and find something to do! I got to watch Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, Cisco Kid, Sgt Preston, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Lone Ranger, Leave It To Beaver, Father Knows Best, Adam-12, Dragnet, Sky King, The Rifeman, Rawhide, Cheyenne......yes, I was a BIG Western fan! In my Senior year, I bought an old '56 Chevy Bel Aire. Cool car, for me anyway.
Today, I have a Lone Ranger movie (in color), Roy Rogers and Gene Autry as well. On a wall in our apartment, I have a display of pictures of my old Western hero's!
Now, think about this: Could you imagine Timmy taking a picture of Lassie with his cell phone or texting his mom telling her that he's on his way home from school? How about Rusty (Rin Tin Tin), setting in the Captain's office at the fort, figuring out stradegy on a lap top for the next Indian attack?

Old 09-24-2011, 05:33 AM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
Bring back the good ol' days. If you didn't experience them you missed out, beam me up Scotty...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement