Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:04 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times

Advertisements

Looking back, my childhood was so innocent. Grew up in the northern suburbs of Chicago - (remember the scenes and the homes from Ferris Bueller - like that) - I never remember "needing" anything at that time.

My father went to work, mom stayed home. Yes, we knew all the neighbors and all that. I don't recall worrying about anything.

We obeyed our parents. There were only so many shows we could watch.

Then, we moved just at the end of my elementary years - to Florida. I did not want to move. But, I grew in love with it. Totally different feeling but that was around the time I was learning that not all were created equal and all that. We had riots at school, stuff like that.

As an adult, I'd like to go back to the 1980's. I wish my mom was still here - I would love to ask her this question.

Well, actually, I did once - and she told she loved the WW II years and I asked her why. (She was in the Canadian army). She said something like - everyone was so united against the enemy but they didn't know how bad things were b/c news took so long to get.

Again, innocence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 06:12 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Neither my father or grandfather lived to be as old as I am.
I'm satisfied with using my 62in HDTV to watch black and white reruns of Wagn Train and living 18 miles from TOMBSTONE

Old 09-25-2011, 06:17 PM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Yes, I would go back. I don't give 2 hoots for any of the modern technology. We functioned just fine with our one phone, which was a party line. Life was simple, children were cared for by their mothers at home and the rules of behavior had not blurred.
Kids are really messed up now by global unwholesome influences.
The 24/7 news exposes us to a constant barrage of horror, stress and worry that we cannot do anything about. Since we cannot do anything about it, we are, I believe, tainted as a society in a way we weren't in the 50s.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:16 AM

8,943 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Boy, just don't think (no, actually couldn't) be without our GPS.......don't know how we did when we didn't have it! A GPS is so much easier (for us) than looking at a Rand McNally Map all the time.
Couldn't be without our Blu-Ray DVD Player, Big Screen TV or digital camera's either. And a microwave, COULDN'T live without that either!! Also, just think of how many times a vehicle back then needed new spark plugs/tune up during it's life? Many cars had chokes with no EFI (electric fuel injection). Had to set the choke before starting and then tap the old gas pedal to take off the choke after the engine warmed up some. What a pain in the old butt all of that was! Naw, even though the vehicles of today are more expensive to buy and maintain, I will take a computerized one anyday. Do remember and still like the old "Muscle Cars" though!!
With that being said, NOPE-NO WAY could we go back to those "good old days"!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 AM

Well, OK, I will admit to liking my microwave and my GPS. Can you imagine Timmy's mother with a microwave, or Wagon Train with a GPS??

Old 09-26-2011, 08:01 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The 24/7 news exposes us to a constant barrage of horror, stress and worry that we cannot do anything about. Since we cannot do anything about it, we are, I believe, tainted as a society in a way we weren't in the 50s.
Oh, but you CAN do something about it! See that little red POWER button on your remote control? Click it...

Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 AM

8,943 posts, read 20,370,228 times
BUT, if I did that, we wouldn't be watching any tv! Inbetween the sexual innuendos and some language on tv today, people wonder if the FCC is still alive and working!! Shoot, we thought when Clark Gable said "frankly my dear, I don't give a da*n!" was totally shocking to hear, but today movies have so many sex scene's, foul language and violence/"blood & guts" in them, it's no wonder our society is the way it is! And the computer games of today......don't EVEN get me started on that subject!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Oh, but you CAN do something about it! See that little red POWER button on your remote control? Click it...

Old 09-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
BUT, if I did that, we wouldn't be watching any tv! Inbetween the sexual innuendos and some language on tv today, people wonder if the FCC is still alive and working!! Shoot, we thought when Clark Gable said "frankly my dear, I don't give a da*n!" was totally shocking to hear, but today movies have so many sex scene's, foul language and violence/"blood & guts" in them, it's no wonder our society is the way it is! And the computer games of today......don't EVEN get me started on that subject!
I am not suggesting that we return to the days when Lucy and Ricky had to have twin beds, we are grownups after all, but people seem to dwell so much in the sordid these days.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:15 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am not suggesting that we return to the days when Lucy and Ricky had to have twin beds, we are grownups after all, but people seem to dwell so much in the sordid these days.
And don't forget that toilets were never in evidence in movies or TV until Archie Bunker came along. Guess they just had to hold it - for life!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:57 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
You mean back to the time when I went to the theater, and got ringworm in my scalp? This was the time before medicine has any anti-fungals to take care of something like that, and I had to wear a sailor's cap pulled down over my head as a boy in third grade? Doctors couldn't do anything about it and I lost sections of hair on my scalp, until we put some stuff on it for cows and it caused a massive skin infection that they could treat and which eventually killed the ringworm?

No I don't think I wish to go back to those dark days... in third grade.
Or Xray therapy for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement