U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:19 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,435,599 times

Advertisements

Hope you don't mind me joining in,i was brought up in England and it was a great time after the war, we could get bananas, oranges and many more things i hadn't tasted, we had the Cisco Kid, Hopalong Cassidy, Rin tin tin, people looked out for each other, we wouldn't have dared to give cheek to our elders. Don't know if i would go back though as there weren't the opportunities for women like there are now,but it was a good time for us kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,726,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Getting dressed up to go out to a restaurant, to church, to fly in an airplane, seeing Hopalong Cassidy and his horse, Topper, in person, seeing Andy Divine (Jingles) on an almost weekly basis while grocery shopping and him sharing caramel corn with me, same with John Wayne, minus the caramel corn, and going on his boat, the Wild Goose, having Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and their children as summer neighbors and getting to know them...there was nothing like the old westerns in a young boy's life. Oh, and not to leave out Little Oscar and the Wienermobile visiting our store about once a year. And who could forget the miniature loaves of Wonder bread - Helps build strong bodies 12 ways!

Societally, those times were less than politically correct but perhaps that's a part of what made them so magical for children. We didn't have that pressure. We didn't need it. We had the bomb!
Tried to rep but I couldn't do it this soon. So consider this comment repped. I so agree. I am pea green with envy you got to see all those people in person. They were my Saturday morning heroes.

I agree, kids were allowed to be kids then in our own little world of imagination that was off limits to parents.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:31 AM

3,747 posts, read 4,230,778 times
No way in h*** would I want to return to the 50s. I cannot think of one aspect of my early childhood that would outweigh the horrible stuff. I entered first grade in 1958 and by that time I was aware of the discrimination against blacks and females. (BTW, I noticed no one mentioned Amos n' Andy.) I was vaguely aware that it was "o.k." for husbands to beat their wives and for parents to beat their children. Drunk driving was also acceptable and far too many innocent people were killed as a result. I also recall my uncle being sent to a tuberculosis sanitarium (where he later died) and because he transmitted the germ to me I had to stop at the local health department every six months for chest xrays. Oh, joy.

The 1960s were also horrible but at least there was hope. In 1965 the Supreme Court decided states could no longer ban the use of birth control. In 1967 the S.C. also decided states could not prohibit interracial marriage. In 1969 I was denied participation in a stupid high school class because it was limited to males. In 1970 my college attending friends were exempt from the draft but my brother returned from 'Nam a broken man. My next door neighbor returned in a body bag. In 1972 my state passed the equal rights amendment but an apartment complex refused to rent to me in 1973 because I was an unmarried female. OTOH, my nursing school classmates no longer had to travel to D.C. or NY to get an abortion.

I'm thinking if you were a white, middle class, heterosexual male, life was kinda good.

Would I return to the mid-seventies? Perhaps. But I am an information geek and the internet makes it a lot easier for me to obtain that information.

It seems to me most posters would prefer a life that is more gentle and less complicated than the one they are currently experiencing. I believe you can still find that life in a small town. You will know your neighbors, the President of the local bank, and you will hear "news" that can travel as fast as the internet. Seek and you shall find.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,552,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
It seems to me most posters would prefer a life that is more gentle and less complicated than the one they are currently experiencing. I believe you can still find that life in a small town. You will know your neighbors, the President of the local bank, and you will hear "news" that can travel as fast as the internet. Seek and you shall find.
We did and we found it. I often liken it to a throw-back to the 50s with all the good and none of the bad. The Ozarks have always been a region of "arrested development" and old-time mores and values prevail along with southern hospitality. It's a big part of what makes them home for us.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:00 AM

3,747 posts, read 4,230,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We did and we found it. I often liken it to a throw-back to the 50s with all the good and none of the bad. The Ozarks have always been a region of "arrested development" and old-time mores and values prevail along with southern hospitality. It's a big part of what makes them home for us.
I know. If your winters were a tad warmer and your community a little closer to the east coast (just a little), I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:02 AM

7,342 posts, read 16,678,483 times
Must say "very interesting comments", but, I don't HATE those years like you seem to..........but that's ok! I do understand your feelings, but want to add some of my own to them:

Yes, back then discrimination against blacks and women was very real, but today, when a person or people don't get what they want, they will yell "discrimination" at the top of their lungs. However, sure am glad that discrimintation against blacks and women has lowered......I know some blacks who are TOTALLY cool and I love it that women are now doing what use to be "men's jobs" only! But then again, many years ago, Annie Oakley was a better shot than most men!
It has NEVER been ok for men to beat their wives and spanking a child for misbehavior was never "beating". My dad spanked me with his belt, when I deserved it. Anyway, domestic violence still exsists today, but it is now men and women beating each other!
Drunk driving and the effects of it, killing innocent people, STILL goes on today.......not just in the 50's/60's!
And, I remember Viet Nam......I was there in the Navy. It didn't happen to me, but many Servicemen came back from there to hear words like "baby killer" at airports.......total disrespect! This wasn't our conflict, we were asked to go over there, accepted, and the entire thing blew up from there. When there is a conflict or war, people can/do die!

[quote=lenora;21050622]No way in h*** would I want to return to the 50s. I cannot think of one aspect of my early childhood that would outweigh the horrible stuff. I entered first grade in 1958 and by that time I was aware of the discrimination against blacks and females. (BTW, I noticed no one mentioned Amos n' Andy.) I was vaguely aware that it was "o.k." for husbands to beat their wives and for parents to beat their children. Drunk driving was also acceptable and far too many innocent people were killed as a result. I also recall my uncle being sent to a tuberculosis sanitarium (where he later died) and because he transmitted the germ to me I had to stop at the local health department every six months for chest xrays. Oh, joy.

The 1960s were also horrible but at least there was hope. In 1965 the Supreme Court decided states could no longer ban the use of birth control. In 1967 the S.C. also decided states could not prohibit interracial marriage. In 1969 I was denied participation in a stupid high school class because it was limited to males. In 1970 my college attending friends were exempt from the draft but my brother returned from 'Nam a broken man. My next door neighbor returned in a body bag. In 1972 my state passed the equal rights amendment but an apartment complex refused to rent to me in 1973 because I was an unmarried female. OTOH, my nursing school classmates no longer had to travel to D.C. or NY to get an abortion.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 AM

43,613 posts, read 52,828,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It was not a good time for women and minorities. Loved the TV shows but wouldn't go back for the world.
This.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 AM

7,342 posts, read 16,678,483 times
It's much better today than it was back then, but local media still reports on incidents involving women and minorities.......so, it's still "alive and well" (unfortunately)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah;21007993[COLOR="Red"
]It was not a good time for women and minorities[/color]. Loved the TV shows but wouldn't go back for the world.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:32 AM

43,613 posts, read 52,828,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
It's much better today than it was back then, but local media still reports on incidents involving women and minorities.......so, it's still "alive and well" (unfortunately)!
It's different when it's brought up because it's no longer acceptable vs when it was a systematic, accepted part of the culture and inflicted on everyone.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:35 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,280,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
As long as I could go back to a different family, yes.
Honey, everyone else's family was just as screwed up as yours. People just had so many freaking secrets back then we all thought ours was the only nutso family.
There are things I miss about the 50's/60's. But I'd never go back. Well maybe just for a short visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement