U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 AM

69 posts, read 214,243 times

Advertisements

New Hampshire is one of the most beautiful states for being a sunbird!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
I'd look to Colorado if I lived in Arizona .Easy drive and beautiful country with great frsh water fishing.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I'd look to Colorado if I lived in Arizona .Easy drive and beautiful country with great frsh water fishing.
Yes, Colorado is a good choice too (ex resident for 28 yrs).

I would look to S (Durango / Alamosa), C (Gunnison/Montrose), or NC (Steamboat - Walden).

I'm especially keen on EZ access to WY / NM, as Colorado can easily be over-run in summer (I grew up in Estes Park...). I loved to escape to Snowy Range (west of Laramie / Encampment / Saratoga). I would go up there after work just to get out of the rat race in Colorado. (and to get a free dip in the hot springs).

On my way home I frequented VeDauWoo to lay on a hot rock (the size of a house) and watch the stars. VeDauWoo - Google Search (no light pollution there!... in the 60's and 70's)

Old 09-26-2011, 12:42 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,847,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We own our home in Mesa, AZ and enjoy living there in the winter months, but do want to get out of the summer heat. There is lots of information on the internet about areas for Snowbirds, but very little for Sunbirds.

We are at the point in our lives where we would consider purchasing a second home (in the US only, please) for the summer months. We have zero restrictions due to family issues.

Our requirements include:

• Reasonable weather - no extremes of cold or humidity.
  • A vibrant, active retirement area. We would seriously consider an upscale 55+ community or possibly a condo.
  • Within 15-30 minutes of a marina for fishing and boating - fresh or saltwater, but good, active fishing (as in actually catching something) and not dangerous water. (we do not want to trailer and launch a boat every time we want to use it.)
  • Moderate cost of homes, real estate taxes and/or income taxes.
  • Very near a decent size city or immediately within a suburban area, as we enjoy restaurants (especially ethnic), happy hours, movies, and I have to find pool halls for husband's addiction to the game.
  • In an area where social events and meeting new people do not revolve around church activities (no insult intended - it's just not a good fit for us).
Where would YOU go with these requirements?
Personally, I have already made my choice to a rural area near Flathead Lake, Montana. However, when I objectively apply your criteria, Portland, Oregon seems to jump out at me.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:18 PM

391 posts, read 664,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Umm -
So you think I actually READ the post? I'm a skiimmer. But come to Sask anyway.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Personally, I have already made my choice to a rural area near Flathead Lake, Montana. However, when I objectively apply your criteria, Portland, Oregon seems to jump out at me.
The MT region nearby along the Clark Fork (Thompson Falls / Plains, MT) has become home to a few of my friends. It is very similar to W - NW Colo (Delta / Craig) an grows lots of fruit for the region and state.

Sandpoint, ID is not too bad either, but traffic is a bear. (long skinny town that is 'constrained' by lake / mtns.)

But actually Portland is pretty premo for summers (free concerts nightly on one of MANY, MANY parks) + roses and the like. and if is gets to hot, I take a 1hr trip to here hug point oregon coast - Google Search (OR coast will 'freeze your kuzoodo' when it is HOT inland)

I am QUITE glad I live on the WA side of the River, as I would never survive as an Oregonian. (there are some significant social dynamics there.... definately no problem to "Keep Portland Weird", as their T-shirt 'boast' )

Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,925,325 times
What about Laguna Woods, CA? SoCal is certainly within driving distance and the weather is perfection. You're in a major metropolitan area with all the amenities. You're a mile from Laguna Beach. It's an over-55 community with a range of housing options at reasonable prices (for SoCal) and tons of activities and clubs.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:33 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,847,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The MT region nearby along the Clark Fork (Thompson Falls / Plains, MT) has become home to a few of my friends. It is very similar to W - NW Colo (Delta / Craig) an grows lots of fruit for the region and state.

Sandpoint, ID is not too bad either, but traffic is a bear. (long skinny town that is 'constrained' by lake / mtns.)

But actually Portland is pretty premo for summers (free concerts nightly on one of MANY, MANY parks) + roses and the like. and if is gets to hot, I take a 1hr trip to here hug point oregon coast - Google Search (OR coast will 'freeze your kuzoodo' when it is HOT inland)

I am QUITE glad I live on the WA side of the River, as I would never survive as an Oregonian. (there are some significant social dynamics there.... definately no problem to "Keep Portland Weird", as their T-shirt 'boast' )
I can almost see your friend's house in Plains from my spot in Montana.
Also, I know how beautiful your area is currently, since I used to live in The Dalles.

PS I have a relative who just moved to Portland who will certainly contribute to the "weird" factor.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:44 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,779,535 times
Sounds like heaven. I think you want to move to heaven in the summer. Unfortunately God is only offering free transportation one way.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:30 AM

462 posts, read 872,675 times
I would check out the Rocky Mountain communities in Colorado. Not too sure about senior communities there but the weather all over the montainous part of this state is very comfortable over the summer. You could also check out the mountainous areas of Northern New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement