U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 AM

37,139 posts, read 45,675,592 times

Advertisements

I thought they wanted to be near the coast? How about Hilton Head, SC. There is a Sun City there.
Otherwise, I'd suggest the Blue Ridge Mountains, or Asheville, NC

Last edited by gentlearts; 10-04-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 AM

Location: San Diego and Virginia Lakes (eastern Sierras 10,000 ft.)
1 posts, read 797 times
I'd keep any choices within an easy day's drive. I have a lot of experience doing this from our winter place in San Diego to our summer place north of Mammoth Ca. (high altitude for the cool). When we started out after retirement the 8-10 hour drive was easy and exhilarating as we left crowded so. ca for the remote reaches of the eastern sierra. Today that drive is getting to be a chore (especially when heading back south and having to pass through So. Ca at the END of the drive) and we often break the trip up with an overnight along the way.

[font=Verdana]Anyway, if I lived in Arizona I'd look at Flagstaff. At 8,000 ft elevation it is pretty and cool and an easy drive from your primary home.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,307,058 times
Don't go anywhere with black flies. Only the locals can tolerate them. you remember the photos of little kids with nasty looking flies all over them in National Geographic? That's what happens to people in Maine, UP Mi., western PA, lower Manitoba and Ontario and Upstate NY, etc. They have these hideous black flies biting all the time and no one sees a problem. Watch, someone will post: "whaddaya mean black flies."

Old 11-30-2011, 11:48 PM

39,553 posts, read 47,780,182 times
How about Mayberry or Mt Pilot. Andy and Opie seem to have excellent weather and fishing there all the time.

Otherwise I'd suggest, as others have, Colorado.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 AM

5,825 posts, read 13,324,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Don't go anywhere with black flies. Only the locals can tolerate them. you remember the photos of little kids with nasty looking flies all over them in National Geographic? That's what happens to people in Maine, UP Mi., western PA, lower Manitoba and Ontario and Upstate NY, etc. They have these hideous black flies biting all the time and no one sees a problem. Watch, someone will post: "whaddaya mean black flies."
There is a small window of time when there are black flies in upstate NY/VT, which we deal with using insect repellent. It is about two weeks here. You forgot to mention the green head flies and no-see-ums at the Jersey shore; another place to avoid.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,307,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
There is a small window of time when there are black flies in upstate NY/VT, which we deal with using insect repellent. It is about two weeks here. You forgot to mention the green head flies and no-see-ums at the Jersey shore; another place to avoid.

Really any biting flies are intolerable, IMO. I'm glad youhave a short peak season for these pests. But my experience is that every northeastern woodland/water area has these things at some level all summer long. People from out west don't know about these flies. They don't have them in Arizona. they have other nasty pests but all are easily avoidable unlike the flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement