U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:39 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
PatRoy1: we have learned our lesson with automatic bill pay. Now all our bills are paid by going on-line and authorizing them individually.

This is exactly why I cant understand anyone's having automatic bill pay through the bank. What about when the utility companies make a mistake and overcharge you? I've heard of elec companies and water companies accidentally billing hundreds more than they should one month due to computer errors. With auto bill pay those bills are paid before you even see them.
I am talking about auto bill pay exactly what you are talking about. That is what my OP is about and that is what is changing. Now you tell them to make a payment on the 20th of the month and they debit your account on the 20th. With Wells they will debit your account up to five days prior to the 20th. This is the change I am talking about exactly what you do. Which means you will now have to have the money up to five days prior to your bill that YOU told them to pay is paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I pay all my bills online but I DON'T do automatic pays. I like to be 'in control' myself. I have one bill that requires a check to be sent and it does take up to five days so I just make sure I set it up to be paid in plenty of time so it won't be late. The rest are either instant pay or take up to two days. Yes, I'd assume to money is still in your account till it clears but I just deduct it from my checkbook and be done with it.

I love my bill pay and am happy to use it. I've been with Wells Fargo since they were First Interstate here in AZ. and used them in three different states. Never have had a problem with them. I also get my bills through e-mail and never had a problem with that either.
You are use to their system and have adjusted. I was just giving folks a heads up so they didn't get blindsided until they learn how it will work for them. I logged on to online banking and they had major warnings for folks so I shared.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:55 PM

8,140 posts, read 7,645,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You are use to their system and have adjusted. I was just giving folks a heads up so they didn't get blindsided until they learn how it will work for them. I logged on to online banking and they had major warnings for folks so I shared.
You know something like that happened on my BOA account last month, so good going on warning people. It's possible they posted a similar warning and I didn't read it, I'm going to go take a looksie on their site and if need be make an adjustment so they don't blindside me with a fee $32. fee for insufficient funds like they did before, for being $2 short without giving a warning like usual.

Update, well I can forget looking into that for now, the site pretty much isn't functioning. Maybe people are making a run for their money since the recent changes in fees at BOA so online banking at the moment down for now. I just know the website wasn't working this morning and according to news reports it's still not working at this time. Spokes person for the company said it was repaired, but not so according to latest reports and my recent visit to the site.

Last edited by TRosa; 09-30-2011 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: update

Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,687,274 times
Quote:
I am talking about auto bill pay exactly what you are talking about. That is what my OP is about and that is what is changing. Now you tell them to make a payment on the 20th of the month and they debit your account on the 20th. With Wells they will debit your account up to five days prior to the 20th. This is the change I am talking about exactly what you do. Which means you will now have to have the money up to five days prior to your bill that YOU told them to pay is paid.
If I go into my bill pay and set up something to be paid on the 20th it is. They have never taken the money out on, say, the 15th to pay a bill on the 20th, which is what it sounds like you're saying. If I have a bill DUE on the 20th, and I know it's going to take 5 days to transfer to their account, then yeah, I better be sure the money is there on the 15th but I'll also make sure it's paid on the 15th to reach them by the 20th. Generally any bill I arrange to pay on the 20th will be one that's due at the very end of the month. I always pay early...and I've never had WF take money out earlier than what I've requested.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
If I go into my bill pay and set up something to be paid on the 20th it is. They have never taken the money out on, say, the 15th to pay a bill on the 20th, which is what it sounds like you're saying. If I have a bill DUE on the 20th, and I know it's going to take 5 days to transfer to their account, then yeah, I better be sure the money is there on the 15th but I'll also make sure it's paid on the 15th to reach them by the 20th. Generally any bill I arrange to pay on the 20th will be one that's due at the very end of the month. I always pay early...and I've never had WF take money out earlier than what I've requested.
Thats good to know. I was thinking about the OP from the Social Security^(^%%$#@#$$$ thread who was upset and this would could make her situation worse. As we know from this forum there is a wide range of cash flow cushion from the many posters in the forum. When we got our second home we paid two months of mortgage payments right away so we would be one month ahead to avoid any potential issues down the road. We were fortunate to be able to do that but I know not everyone is.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:11 PM

Let me clear something up, the fee that I inccured wasn't due to insufficient funds for a bill pay, but for a floating check, I should have stated that, those were two different issues. I just am still miffed about that charge. What I was just saying if they want to start changing dates around, I don't want to start incuring late fees not knowing when bills are being deducted. I always put the money in the account days prior to when bills are to be paid, and bill are arranged to be paid far in advance of the due date, that isn't even the issue.

In my case what happened last month, I have for years had monies transfered from my checking to another account to another account within the same banking institution every month, but, for some reason, they made that transfer for the, first time, in 10+ years, a few days prior to my arranged date. This could have caused me to inccure additional fees had I not had money in my checking account to cover it. That's why I wanted to go check to read whether or not what the OP mentioned might have some bearing on myself as well, so I know that I might need to adjust my transfer date and any other dates.

I do know that you have to be viligent about making sure to check those billing dates, because credit card companies like to change them up on you once and a while. Years ago I used to pay all my bills prearranged on a specific date and received a rude awakening when at least one company "Sears" moved my billing date a week or so ahead, after having the same date for three years. I've since paid off and don't use credit cards anymore.

Last edited by TRosa; 09-30-2011 at 05:24 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 07:14 PM

13,325 posts, read 25,307,295 times
I use a credit union, but don't use their billpay system. I use MyCheckFree (Login), and have been for years, but not all bills are on them though. I pay my cable/internet/landline bill, gas/electric bill and a department store credit card through them. I pay my cell phone directly on their website, because My Check Free started charging $.50 to process it. I've also heard that Manilla (www.manilla.com) is good, too, but I need to check into it some more.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,741,213 times
When one flirts with fire (like timing deposits, payments, etc.) it is easy to get burned by someone/something in the "system" not doing their job.

Like a sign that says:

"All deposits after 2pm will be credited the next business day".

Does this mean if I make my deposit at 1:59pm on a business day that it will get credited that day?

The real answer is that we here at the bank are all tired, long weekend coming up so we want out of work ASAP, some had to much to drink the night before, we are training a new teller and they are slow, I am PMSing, I have to pee now, several people called in sick, my printer ran out of ink so I cannot print anything until I change the cartridge and align it, my computer crashed, etc.

Add to that that you made a deposit of someones personal check written on a bank we have no record of, located in a country we never even heard of (like Canada....LOL) and you expect that money in your account within a few days...lots of luck on that one.

That 1:59 deposit (that you rushed like hell to make) will not get credited today. Like it or not, real life folks.

PS

I am upset at my own bank (BB&T) for holding some deposits for as long as they do, so I am not justifying how banks operate but I think many are demaning unreasonable/non-financially secure things.

Show up wanting to buy something from me and the only way you will walk away with it now is cash....LOL

Any other payment method will take time thus you will not walk away with it until I am comfortable I will get paid.

No ticky...no shirty.......

Last edited by accufitgolf; 09-30-2011 at 07:56 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 08:14 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,687,274 times
Quote:
Thats good to know. I was thinking about the OP from the Social Security^(^%%$#@#$$$ thread who was upset and this would could make her situation worse. As we know from this forum there is a wide range of cash flow cushion from the many posters in the forum. When we got our second home we paid two months of mortgage payments right away so we would be one month ahead to avoid any potential issues down the road. We were fortunate to be able to do that but I know not everyone is.
Did they actually confirm that you were a "month ahead" in payments? I did that once, with a car payment, but was told that just because I made a double payment it didn't mean I was "ahead" and still needed to make ALL my payments on time. I couldn't miss one, or pay it late, because I was "ahead" on payments.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
When one flirts with fire (like timing deposits, payments, etc.) it is easy to get burned by someone/something in the "system" not doing their job.

Like a sign that says:

"All deposits after 2pm will be credited the next business day".

Does this mean if I make my deposit at 1:59pm on a business day that it will get credited that day?

If I have a reciept stamped 1:59 that the type of deposit adheres to their rules, you betcha they will have to honor it as being in the account on time. But this isn't something I personally would do.

The real answer is that we here at the bank are all tired, long weekend coming up so we want out of work ASAP, some had to much to drink the night before, we are training a new teller and they are slow, I am PMSing, I have to pee now, several people called in sick, my printer ran out of ink so I cannot print anything until I change the cartridge and align it, my computer crashed, etc.

If anyone of the people I know that work in the industry were to be heard making such claims, they'd be shown the door or at the very least be written up. I'm sure it happens, but if a customer at the banking establishment were to complain, at least at places I know of, it wouldn't be tollerated.

Add to that that you made a deposit of someones personal check written on a bank we have no record of, located in a country we never even heard of (like Canada....LOL) and you expect that money in your account within a few days...lots of luck on that one.

Now come on, people are still doing such things? LOL, I know they are, I hear the stories from family and friends that work/ed in banking. And they deserve to go to the back of the line and never be heard from again

That 1:59 deposit (that you rushed like hell to make) will not get credited today. Like it or not, real life folks.

It won't if you didn't get a receipt showing it was deposited before the cut off time and isn't something like a cash deposit. The deposit of course will only be credited if it follows the rules as stated in print and receipt shows time of deposit.

PS

I am upset at my own bank (BB&T) for holding some deposits for as long as they do, so I am not justifying how banks operate but I think many are demaning unreasonable/non-financially secure things.

I have a pretty good grasp on how these institutions work, I do have some minor brain cells still working. Even knowing what I do know, I'm still entitled to get annoyed when they stop giving me special treatment or especially when they move the cheese.

Show up wanting to buy something from me and the only way you will walk away with it now is cash....LOL

Any other payment method will take time thus you will not walk away with it until I am comfortable I will get paid.

No ticky...no shirty.......
I don't blameyu

If you are a business and you advertise, in writing a service and you don't honor that, the consumer has a right to take the business to task and likely win. Except for this last banking fee, I've always gotten my money back in such instances because of a bank err. This time, it was my fault for forgeting about that check, I rarely ever write checks. The darn thing was floating out there and didn't come up till just a couple of days before I could have had it covered or if I'd received my usual email text warning I could have transfered funds into the account from my savings. But the bank changed their rules and sent my text message after they deducted the late fee.
For two $2 over. I had to pay $32. They're response, Well at least we honored the check. Why they honored it, they knew I had an auto-deposit coming. Sheesh. Yes, I do appreciate that, but I still could use that $32 back.

A business offers a service, they can't fulfill their part of the bargain, they have no right to expect to stay in business. Same goes for the banking industry. It is of course our responsibility to comb through the fine print and keep abreast of the changing rules.

PS A family member used to work at BB&T, all I have to say about the bank is Ahhhggggggg.

Last edited by TRosa; 09-30-2011 at 09:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or