U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2011, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Reputation: 6716

Advertisements

What if the person who wrote the check to you wrote 3 checks on the same day that came to 2X what he/she had in his/her checking account? You can't expect a bank to be clairvoyant. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2011, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
973 posts, read 1,490,197 times
Reputation: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
What if the person who wrote the check to you wrote 3 checks on the same day that came to 2X what he/she had in his/her checking account? You can't expect a bank to be clairvoyant. Robyn
Not sure if you are responding to me, but will answer, ok? The check was from Wells Fargo, the bank itself as a settlement check from their own account. It wasn't a personal check at all. And if they, themselves didn't have the money to cash it, then they are in more trouble than they are letting on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 AM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
Not sure if you are responding to me, but will answer, ok? The check was from Wells Fargo, the bank itself as a settlement check from their own account. It wasn't a personal check at all. And if they, themselves didn't have the money to cash it, then they are in more trouble than they are letting on!
I think is boils down to their having check related services for their checking customers which you no longer are. Consider it this way, you have no assets on deposits with them but in fact you carry debt to them. They have no ability to retrieve any fees or losses related to cashing your check regardless of who wrote it. Even if it was a fraud they are out of luck. The cashier may have had balances on your mortgage and equity available but perhaps not information showing they had written you a valid check. When you had the account with them did they allow you to cash checks from someone larger than the balance in your account? If not this is really consistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
973 posts, read 1,490,197 times
Reputation: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I think is boils down to their having check related services for their checking customers which you no longer are. Consider it this way, you have no assets on deposits with them but in fact you carry debt to them. They have no ability to retrieve any fees or losses related to cashing your check regardless of who wrote it. Even if it was a fraud they are out of luck. The cashier may have had balances on your mortgage and equity available but perhaps not information showing they had written you a valid check. When you had the account with them did they allow you to cash checks from someone larger than the balance in your account? If not this is really consistent.
I don't follow what I bolded. The check had nothing to do WITH my mortgage per se, but it was from a Wells Fargo Bank from a Wells Fargo Account, so how could that be a suspected loss?? And why would they need validation that they had sent me a check? And if they had asked, I had the letter saying it was from them.

But then what you are saying then, is like 2 years ago year when I had too much in escrow and had a check from Wachovia, they shouldn't have cashed it as I didn't have a checking account with them at that time. But ya know what?? They did! I am sorry, but if banks cannot cash one of their own checks, this is total insanity, and we in America are leaving all of our common sense at the door!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 03:53 PM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
I don't follow what I bolded. The check had nothing to do WITH my mortgage per se, but it was from a Wells Fargo Bank from a Wells Fargo Account, so how could that be a suspected loss?? And why would they need validation that they had sent me a check? And if they had asked, I had the letter saying it was from them.

But then what you are saying then, is like 2 years ago year when I had too much in escrow and had a check from Wachovia, they shouldn't have cashed it as I didn't have a checking account with them at that time. But ya know what?? They did! I am sorry, but if banks cannot cash one of their own checks, this is total insanity, and we in America are leaving all of our common sense at the door!!
The old Wachovia was very good and we transplanted and went with them I was very surprised by what they would do. I could cash checks without identification etc etc etc. It was a simpler and probably more honest time than now. It made me think back to years ago when what you suggest was a common occurence. I understand your thinking but I also understand the banks and don't fault them for operating the way they do these days. There is so much fraud and misrepresentation and resentment of big banks that they are probably not as trusting as the once might be. I mean within the year I was still able to cash a check at Wachovia in the drive thru without showing ID or account info or anything. If the cashier knew me that was all that was needed. With the change over who knows. However if I need ID at the drive thru then I shall gladly provide it. I wonder if Wells will be as senior citizen friendly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 02:38 PM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Reputation: 11705
We had our transition this weekend and now making the adjustments will take a month or so to see exactly how long it takes a payment to get to the biller. Is interesting the amount of time they give to different biller's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top