U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:14 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
There is no doubt that the old we will hire you and take care of you when you retire (like cradle to grave) thinking/system is no longer a working/reality model.
You have no doubt huh?

Quote:
I would hope that the generation behind us (say those under 50) realize the above cradle to grave model is dead and they decide to take their own fate in their hands and not let life lead them.
Are you going to keep hoping?

Quote:
That said, let us not be heartless. As the wealthiest nation in the world we must step forward and aid those that have fallen, or will fall, along the road during this transition.
Ahh good for you. You came back to the underlying issue on your own.

In the absence of the SSI program we ave now...
we would need to create something that accomplishes 99% of what it does.
And pay for that too. Somehow.

The rest is like rearranging the deckchairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 07:13 PM

14,220 posts, read 44,878,144 times
I'm not retirement age yet but I post up here because I think mid-50's is not at all too early to start thinking about it.

Seems to me that I have had some opportunites that younger people are not getting right now, and may not be able to get for some time in the future - mostly connected with the rising economy from about 82 till 2006 anyway.

Having bought the house 20 years ago, and through dumb luck it has appreciated at the very lest 3X in 20 years, that is to say it's worth 3X what I paid for it, has been a real advantage. My payments on what's left of the mortgage would not rent a cheap flop-house apartment anymore.

Something else I have done over the years is buy good "stuff" that lasts. A chest full of Craftsman and Snap-On tools, many of them bought 30 or more years ago, is one gift to myself that keeps on giving. Even just deciding to add some insulation to the attic of the house 18+ years ago is another thing I have done that pays me a dividend every year and should to the end of my days. I have more guns than anyone "needs" and since I don't sell they are just a form of wealth accumulation - but they are all as good as the day I bought them, I don't need to re-buy them at today's higher prices.

Even choosing old, cheap, fully depreciated but very servicable cars like the old VW has served me like an investment, although, a younger guy could do this as well as I did, given some study.

So in this sense as a "Junior Senior" I think I am in better shape financially than most younger people.

Consideing what's coming up, particularly in terms of SS - seems to me the math of who is what age is going to dominate the situation. We have too many people drawing SS and too few paying in. Either people have to take less, or the ones still working have to pay more, or some other source of money has to be tapped - I don't have any good ideas on that last option. A bad idea would be to just print money and "inflate away" this debt - cure worse than the illness IMHO.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:17 PM

29,772 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Perhaps he needs to look at the dropout rate now and the unskilled numbers looking for no skills required jobs now. Al it takes is one trip to a fast food place to see that mnay can't even make change.
Yup and double yup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or