U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:47 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,562,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have heard really strange things about folks who have become "friends" w/ their kids, for ex, and then are offended what they read. I can't imagine what types of things folks are posting - sounds like private info that shouldn't be broadcast. So I suppose it all comes down to sharing that space on FB w/ folks who you actually enjoy corresponding with - and who you spend time with in "real life."

It's not as though your quality of life will be impacted by not having FB. It is a social marketing tool and can be a lot of fun and a great way to keep in touch - as long as you actually like the folks you are interacting with.
We took our accounts down. TMI! We'd much rather have an occasional telephone conversation than blow-by-blow descriptions of everyone's daily lives, offensive or not. Nor do I think it necessary to put my life out there on front street. I'm a great believer in personal privacy. Besides, I don't trust FB's use of data and info. I find them intrusive. But perhaps that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,286,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We took our accounts down. TMI! We'd much rather have an occasional telephone conversation than blow-by-blow descriptions of everyone's daily lives, offensive or not. Nor do I think it necessary to put my life out there on front street. I'm a great believer in personal privacy. Besides, I don't trust FB's use of data and info. I find them intrusive. But perhaps that's just me.
No, it's not just you at all! I spent a lot of time configuring my FB page so that I was not receiving "daily updates" and so that my personal info was not available to other apps on FB. I don't have myself registered on FB with the same name I use daily. My friends are basically folks who felt the same way - and it took us all a while to figure out how to communicate thru/ FB (we tend to have large group discussions on the topic at hand - many times on health issues and travel).

It is not for everyone and the way FB started out w/ all these updates on minutiae was not for me, either. But with the changes in how info is received and sent - it works as a great tool for my family and friends. In fact, some of my family members have become "real life" friends with folks they "met" on my FB page. It has been quite a delightful experience for all of us.

But again, it is not for everyone. I am a writer and have several websites I maintain for businesses - as well as several wh/ are part of my consulting business. I integrate those websites into my FB page - getting insight, input and suggestions from my friends on FB. They serve as my "advisors." We have a lot of fun and I look forward daily to checking in, sharing what I am working on. In turn, many of my friends are artists and writers, and they share their info, photos of their work, tours around their studios . . . and we also DM each other in the background.

It works for me b/c it allows me to integrate many functions of my daily life and work - and I love getting messages from my sons and my nephews during the day. They will be out and about, snap a photo of something interesting and post it. One son has a degree in photography and the other works in medical imaging and is an amateur photographer - so it really is delightful to have these spontaneous moments shared from their lives.

However, I know more people who dislike FB than enjoy it as they find it all very intrusive.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 AM

7,342 posts, read 16,683,300 times
One thing I've wondered about, since getting a FB page, is why some people will go on daily and make comments about what they are doing......almost up-to-the-minute type comments. I'm not a highly "private" type person, but I sure don't do that. And then I have a couple of friends that will post religious scriptures or other religious type things on quite often. Wife and I are Christians, but don't do that! I could "hide" these people's comments, but I want to read the other comments they make so I can't "hide" them.
The page I have is for both my wife and I, so basically when I make a comment, I will say "we".......including my wife in my comment. I only have two "friends" that are married that do that!
I will say this about Seniors and today's modern technology......some like it-to-love it, while others would wish the old 8-track and Lassie would come back!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:33 AM

3,747 posts, read 4,232,794 times
Quote:
I don't trust FB's use of data, either. I mostly use FB to see photos of family members and to keep in touch with a few select former students and old friends.

However, I'm thinking of taking down my account because FB is tracking my internet use AFTER I have signed off my account. And for me, that's a huge no-no.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:51 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,562,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I don't trust FB's use of data, either. I mostly use FB to see photos of family members and to keep in touch with a few select former students and old friends.

However, I'm thinking of taking down my account because FB is tracking my internet use AFTER I have signed off my account. And for me, that's a huge no-no.
I rest my case!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:57 AM

7,342 posts, read 16,683,300 times
Please remember this........ANY Internet site that you go into can track you/get info about you, not just FB! Some folks don't realize, but I do, that when you go to any kind of public event that has vendor booths and they get you to sign up for something, of when may include your e-mail address, you are 100% vulnerable to the Internet. That is why 90% of the time, I just pass by vendor booths where someone is asking me or my wife to sigh up to win something or whatever. Very seldom do I give in to vendor sign-ups to win something!
I just wish people on this forum and other places would quit "bad mouthing" FB so much. Today a persons personal info can get out into this world in many ways......some of them that are not even realized!

Quote:

Old 10-12-2011, 12:02 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,286,146 times
Quote:

OH, that does seem troubling.

However, if you close out the window and open a new browser, how would they be able to track you? Having websites myself, I know I can track what IP hits my page and what they view . . . but once they leave my page, the only thing I can track is the link they go to - IF they don't close out the page and then reopen in a new window.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:25 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,983,779 times
Quote:
I'm in your boat. Especially when it comes to older people (who tend to be into "organ recitals"). My own visits to the dentist are boring enough - I don't have to hear about other peoples' visits. FWIW - there was a comment way up thread that someone had heard about her brother's hospitalization by email (or maybe FB). Unless she has a very large family - or the hospitalization was a crisis situation (or - in the alternative - no big deal) well I would expect a phone call if that happened.

BTW - I think 99% of what you do on line isn't private (unless you're a real fanatic when it comes to cookies and don't mind repetitive data entries - which is what you wind up doing if you delete all your cookies). So I wouldn't put down FB for that reason alone. Actually - some of the tracking is ok by me. Like when I'm shopping for something like a new appliance online - I'll get pop-up ads for sales on that appliance from many sources on totally unrelated websites ranging from the Drudge Report to the New York Times to the Food Network. So I know those cookies are following me around! Robyn

Old 10-12-2011, 03:43 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,983,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is too bad that your FB experience has been so unrewarding. I have heard a lot of folks (of all ages) say that same thing.

All I know is . . . I shape my FB experience and it is nothing like an impersonal "letter to all." My friends and I have lively discussions, share info on everything from recipes to book recommendations . . . to photos and music and videos (and I don't mean - just the latest "funny" videos - I mean stuff we create ourselves).

I guess it all depends who you give your info to or invite to be part of your friends list. If someone I don't care to have involved in my life sends me an invite, I simply refuse it, lol.

I have heard really strange things about folks who have become "friends" w/ their kids, for ex, and then are offended what they read. I can't imagine what types of things folks are posting - sounds like private info that shouldn't be broadcast. So I suppose it all comes down to sharing that space on FB w/ folks who you actually enjoy corresponding with - and who you spend time with in "real life."

It's not as though your quality of life will be impacted by not having FB. It is a social marketing tool and can be a lot of fun and a great way to keep in touch - as long as you actually like the folks you are interacting with.
I never had a FB page. Just opened a "dummy account" - took a look around - and left.

I'm not even a little bit close with many people. And - when I am - I am more or less open with them depending on degree on closeness. Or lack of closeness. I have the kind of family where there is no such thing as private (X calls Y and Y calls Z - etc.). If I have an operation - grandnephews I've never met will get a phone call about it if I tell my father. Luckily - at age 93 - he tends to forget things now. So if he waits more than 48 hours - he forgets that I've had an operation. Also - I have different things to say to different people - and they have different things to say to me.

To get back to technology - one thing I've been intrigued by is Magic Jack. It always sounded like a lot of BS to me - but I have a second cousin in Israel who uses it to call people in the United States (including me). Seems to work pretty well. Has anyone here ever used it? Robyn

Old 10-12-2011, 07:50 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,265,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

To get back to technology - one thing I've been intrigued by is Magic Jack. It always sounded like a lot of BS to me - but I have a second cousin in Israel who uses it to call people in the United States (including me). Seems to work pretty well. Has anyone here ever used it? Robyn
Magic Jack - yay or nay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or