U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:29 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times

Advertisements

Well speaking of other people, my 86 year old neighbor does not have a computer, cell phone or an ATM card. So there are some folks out there who live without them.

I found it kind of funny though when she asked to see my Kindle. She now wants one and will ask her kids for one for Christmas if I promise to show her how to use it. So she will have a toe in the electronic age very soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 05:56 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,671,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My bad. I can see where it was misleading. In 1975 I was a mere youngster of 29. I've aged a bit since then.
well, I still think you are amazing!

Old 10-03-2011, 06:43 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
well, I still think you are amazing!
Well thank you!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 PM

526 posts, read 742,022 times
my 90 y/o mother does not even have a microwave...how long have those been around? My father died before he could talk her into one (she was the boss).

Old 10-03-2011, 09:36 PM

688 posts, read 1,060,214 times
My mother, who is 87, stubbornly refuses to learn to use a computer. No computer, no email, no cell phone. She agreed to an answering machine about 5 yrs ago

Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
my 90 y/o mother does not even have a microwave...how long have those been around? My father died before he could talk her into one (she was the boss).
My parents died 20 and 22 years ago. To the end, no computer and they still had rotary dial phones in the home (anyone remember those?) They were probably the last people to actually have a color TV as well and decidedly no microwave. Cell phones weren't out yet but if they had been, my parents wouldn't have owned one. Dinosaurs! I find it rather endearing.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:59 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,613,751 times
Sure I remember rotary phones well. I also remember at my granparent's house when they had one that had 2 pieces. One that you talked into and the other that you held to your ear. lol funny thing was those grandparents bought a TV way before my own parents did. Those grands also had an electric refrigerator while my Dad's parents still had ice delivered. I remember the ice man well. He always chipped of a large chunk for me to suck on in the summer.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:56 AM

491 posts, read 598,444 times
My Mom died 5 years ago at the age of 85. She had cell phone, ATM, and a computer. Matter of fact she replaced a couple of cards on her desk top computer with my brother coaching her on the phone. She embraced the new technology.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
My Mom died 5 years ago at the age of 85. She had cell phone, ATM, and a computer. Matter of fact she replaced a couple of cards on her desk top computer with my brother coaching her on the phone. She embraced the new technology.
Now that was one dialed-in lady. Good for her. I know that even at my tender age I've stopped even trying to keep up with technology. What we have now works and that's enough to last me a (short) lifetime.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 AM

7,340 posts, read 16,650,851 times
One thing for sure, we aren't "high tech" compared to some.

My wife's mom, at 88, would use the computers in her Senior Apt Complex's Club House to send us e-mails and play pinochole. A new program was installed on those computers and a computer instructor was hired by management to teach the new program. Mom told us on the phone "he goes so fast that I just can't keep up with him.......does he know just how old some of us are?" When she lived with us, my wife was showing her how to use Excel for spreedsheets for her Senior group and I set up her e-mail. We moved out of the state and she was on her own then. She never had a cell phone and had a block on long-distance phone calls and no cable tv.

My wife's sister, 66, does use her old laptop for e-mail, but that's it. Now that she is on Facebook, she will sometimes comment to us on her page. She has very limited computer skills and that's fine with her.

My half brother, 67, doesn't like computers at all. When he worked, he would have his secretary do all the computer work for him. He told me "computers are a complete waste of time to me!" But, then again, he is an "outside, get my hands dirty, mechanic type". His wife uses their laptop, but just for e-mail.

In all my years of using a computer, I have noticed people who will spend out a nice thousand dollars or more for a computer set-up (computer/printer/fax/scanner) and only use it for e-mail. That's a waste of money to me, but it IS their money!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or