U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:28 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,479,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Tex; Mild suggestion, check out the incidence of non-related, serious complications that folks experience when entering/receiving care in medical facilities. 20 Yrs in Branson makes a valid point backed up by hard data. Google "Incidence of unrelated medical complications", its interesting.
Something else to put on my list of things to not worry about. Early tomorrow morning I go into one of those "dreaded" medical facilities for 4-5 hours of cardiac testing. My guess is that at the end of it, I'll walk out and drive home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,781,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Something else to put on my list of things to not worry about. Early tomorrow morning I go into one of those "dreaded" medical facilities for 4-5 hours of cardiac testing. My guess is that at the end of it, I'll walk out and drive home.
Speaking for myself, I absolutely hope you do. I'd miss you, Amigo. The very best of luck. (I'm a heathen or would add some religious best wishes stuff.)

Old 10-04-2011, 07:36 PM

624 posts, read 1,076,967 times
The best advice I was given was to

#1 stay away from doctors and lawyers
#2 remind myself that I am not that important
#3 never try to get rich at the expense of compromising integrity

Old 10-05-2011, 06:44 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,416,139 times
I have seen many people who look eagerly forward to retirement, to kicking back and changing their lifestyles, to becoming late-life 'party animals', to never having to work again, so THERE!

They usually kick off pretty quickly. By stopping their activity, and thinking that golf and travel are exercise, their bodies, unused to the sedantary change, start shutting down. "Staying active", getting up and going to work every day, daily stresses of life, for everyone from a construction worker to a cubicle-worker, is what keeps most people alive. Once they stop, they usually start to deteriorate, even if they don't realize it right away.

My 81-year-old neighbor still gets up at 5 every morning and goes to work on his son's ranch. He trains and rides horses, repairs fence, and delivers calves. He is still physically and metally challenged and therefore alert and healthy. Many of the older folks around here are like that; they keep moving, keep working, and see 'retirement' as a time to not HAVE to work but to want to.

The whole key to life is to live it; at your highest speed available, doing your best work, getting up at the same time, putting in the same hours, and not allowing your mind or body to goof off and get soft. Age, arthritis, and disease as well as outside forces can stop you temporarily or slow you permanently, but staying alert, active, and involved is the key to not only a longer life, but a more enjoyable one.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:35 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,863,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
When you hear on the news about healthy older folks all of a sudden being diagnosed with Cancer or something and dying before they even reach 70, do you ever wonder if the 'current system' is fitting for 'you'?

My goal is to retire at 50 (at the latest) and i'm saving accordingly.....but i'm considering my 'expiration date' to be at 85...which seems at times to be too optimistic!

i'm 30 now, healthy, never smoked, never drank......but yet, i worry that i may retire at 50, and only have a few years to live before dying.

It almost makes you want to save up and "retire" by 40, so that you have at least a couple of decades of retirement....
in other words, why work hard and save hard until 64, and then die "rich", when you can saved hard until 40 and die without having much. (you won't need the money when you're dead anyway)

anyone ever think that way?
I suspect a lot of folks do. It is all in the life style you seek and how long you seek it for. That is a personal decision for that individual to make and live with. For as many say the real game changer is leaving this world and passing on to the next. For those of you who feel there is no life after enjoy your last thought as that will be all she wrote for you if that is your belief.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 AM

144 posts, read 286,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I have seen many people who look eagerly forward to retirement, to kicking back and changing their lifestyles, to becoming late-life 'party animals', to never having to work again, so THERE!.......

The whole key to life is to live it; at your highest speed available, doing your best work, getting up at the same time, putting in the same hours, and not allowing your mind or body to goof off and get soft. Age, arthritis, and disease as well as outside forces can stop you temporarily or slow you permanently, but staying alert, active, and involved is the key to not only a longer life, but a more enjoyable one.
So Granny:

What are you doing here at the retirement forum?

The way I see it, if you like what you do then keep doing it, if not, then stop when you can afford to. Otherwise, it's too bad.

We are not even a spec in the universe. Billions upon billions of us came and gone before and nothing changes. So enjoy what we can while we can with the little time we have and be prepared to disappear...

Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,232,101 times
Quote:
I have seen many people who look eagerly forward to retirement, to kicking back and changing their lifestyles, to becoming late-life 'party animals', to never having to work again, so THERE!

They usually kick off pretty quickly. By stopping their activity, and thinking that golf and travel are exercise, their bodies, unused to the sedantary change, start shutting down. "Staying active", getting up and going to work every day, daily stresses of life, for everyone from a construction worker to a cubicle-worker, is what keeps most people alive. Once they stop, they usually start to deteriorate, even if they don't realize it right away.

My 81-year-old neighbor still gets up at 5 every morning and goes to work on his son's ranch. He trains and rides horses, repairs fence, and delivers calves. He is still physically and metally challenged and therefore alert and healthy. Many of the older folks around here are like that; they keep moving, keep working, and see 'retirement' as a time to not HAVE to work but to want to.

Best post on the thread! Take Satchel Paige's advice and keep moving.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 AM

3,673 posts, read 4,933,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
We are not even a spec in the universe. Billions upon billions of us came and gone before and nothing changes. So enjoy what we can while we can with the little time we have and be prepared to disappear...
So true.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:04 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,322,535 times
Quote:

Very well said, Granny.

I'm 46 now and while retirement may be down the road (65), The last 20 years of my life just went by at warp speed and it seems like just yesterday I was carefree and in my mid-20s.

I was at one time envisioning and having that common view on retirement such as endless golf, no more boss, no getting up early,no worries, etc. I'm sure after a while that would get old real quick.

I told my wife recently that when the time arises I may never stop working, or technically "retire" from my current job that I have many years vested, collect my pension in and embark on a second career. I have for many years wanted to be a funeral director, so this would be a great time to pursue that dream.

I have a strong feeling if I just suddenly stop going to work one day, I will literally die from boredom, lack of structure and an overall reason to get up in the morning. True..I could wake up each morning, excercise, shower,shave, etc. But what about the remainder of the day? Additionally, I would probably miss the social interaction that working entails and my wife and I would drive each other crazy, lol.

Last edited by Gil3; 10-07-2011 at 12:14 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 03:08 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,906,848 times
I have cleaned up this thread. This is not the correct forum to discuss religion. Stay on topic and please report posts that are off topic or an attempt to hijack a thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or