U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 AM

12,671 posts, read 21,050,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I left there five years ago, I was paying $2,500 a month rent.
I could afford it but I would be scraping by instead of prospering, I bank that rent here
$2,500 in SF for what kind of apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,814,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Yes, why not. Enough drivers over 100 now. If you are healthy then you can drive. If not then I can always hire a driver to drive me around.
Good for you, you plan to be healthy beyond 100

Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
Quote:
Yes, why not. Enough drivers over 100 now. If you are healthy then you can drive. If not then I can always hire a driver to drive me around.
I do hire a driver to drive me around--it is called Public Transit. There are many bus routes and stations, many within walking distance of your home.

Also, here is the Denver area we have many Call n' Ride areas where the small bus will pickup/return at your home.

In addition, we have disability para-transit, which here is called Access-a-Ride which also pickup/return passengers at their home and services the whole service region over multiple counties. It also provides reduced cab fare, for immediate service, and free bus/train service to the disabled. Age can also be considered a disability because of age related disabilities.

All transit vehicles have wheelchair lifts and bicycle racks for those of you who like to bike when you are a 100 yrs. old.

You better have extra insurance if you are going to drive at an advanced age because that little mistakes in aged related judgement and attention is going to take all your money. Also, that insurance is going to cost you much more because of the increased risk.

Ah, if you are so wealthy then it is no problem, you will have your own chauffeured limousine. Good for You!

Livecontent

Old 10-07-2011, 12:22 PM

14,220 posts, read 44,878,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If you lived in the Bay area without a car, using public transportation, you could afford to live there, easily saving the difference of $3K per year.
Well, maybe, if you inherited a house, or bought one in the 1960s. Or if you want to live in a cardboard box.

Visiting the area awhile back, I picked up one of those little give-away real estate magazines. The prices for amazingly small condos even was not just stratospherically high, they were well into low earth orbit.

Seriously, if you are already there, and have been there long enough that Prop 13 has suppressed your property tax, it makes no sense to leave, none at all - but as an economic place to retire, not so much.

If you are fairly hardy, it is a place where you can ride a motorcycle year-round and not own a car, or hardly use a car, though. But I doubt I have spent enough on gasoline in a lifetime of driving to pay for the cheapest shack in this general area.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Good for you, you plan to be healthy beyond 100
Well, everyone wants to be healthy. I will do what I can to stay healthy.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:50 PM

I can hire a driver to drive me around in MY Lambo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I do hire a driver to drive me around--it is called Public Transit. There are many bus routes and stations, many within walking distance of your home.

Also, here is the Denver area we have many Call n' Ride areas where the small bus will pickup/return at your home.

In addition, we have disability para-transit, which here is called Access-a-Ride which also pickup/return passengers at their home and services the whole service region over multiple counties. It also provides reduced cab fare, for immediate service, and free bus/train service to the disabled. Age can also be considered a disability because of age related disabilities.

All transit vehicles have wheelchair lifts and bicycle racks for those of you who like to bike when you are a 100 yrs. old.

You better have extra insurance if you are going to drive at an advanced age because that little mistakes in aged related judgement and attention is going to take all your money. Also, that insurance is going to cost you much more because of the increased risk.

Ah, if you are so wealthy then it is no problem, you will have your own chauffeured limousine. Good for You!

Livecontent

Old 10-08-2011, 10:03 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,814,828 times
Quote:
Well, everyone wants to be healthy. I will do what I can to stay healthy.
But to plan on it, ignoring the probability that you may not be?

Old 10-08-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
But to plan on it, ignoring the probability that you may not be?
Good point. I can always hire a driver to drive me around though.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Can we get back on topic, please....see the OP, post #1.
Thanks.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 PM

28,232 posts, read 39,872,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Can we get back on topic, please....see the OP, post #1.
Thanks.
Beat me to it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or