U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You sound like us. Mrs. Tek prefers winter to our summers also. Of course she doesn't move snow or mow, so....
Mowing I don't mind. Do it early in the morning and having a lawn tractor helps. But trimming is a whole other story.

Snow is fine. We just hole-up in the house for a week at the maximum and our larder is always well-stocked so there's no really compelling reason for us to have to leave the house. In this area they're very good and efficient at clearing the roads so if we have to go out, even without four-wheel drive, it's not really a problem as long as we drive carefully. Thankfully, others drive carefully as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 AM

28,508 posts, read 62,217,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Mowing I don't mind. Do it early in the morning and having a lawn tractor helps. But trimming is a whole other story.
Here's the secret on trimming:
Expand or create beds around the trees, around the edges and in all the odd spots and corners so you don't have to do anything but run the lawn tractor around in forward. Twice a year with the weed wacker might still be needed but not more.

hth

Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Expand or create beds around the trees, around the edges and in all the odd spots and corners so you don't have to do anything but run the lawn tractor around in forward. Twice a year with the weed wacker might still be needed but not more.

hth
DANG! I'd hoped for no more than once a year!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:26 AM

9,583 posts, read 10,933,686 times
Quote:

hth
Quote:
DANG! I'd hoped for no more than once a year!
My lawn, a rather large one , is composed of bunch grass in one section and sagebrush and prickly pear in another. The slopes have a mixture of grass and sagebrush. When the prickly pear flowers it's the most beautiful thing on earth.

I don't even own a snow shovel. The snow is gone soon enough, usually in a few hours. In the summer the humidity on a hot day is never over 15%.

What's the difference between Wyoming and Heaven?

You have to be dead to go to Heaven.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,914,600 times
Quote:

Snow is fine. We just hole-up in the house for a week at the maximum and our larder is always well-stocked so there's no really compelling reason for us to have to leave the house. In this area they're very good and efficient at clearing the roads so if we have to go out, even without four-wheel drive, it's not really a problem as long as we drive carefully. Thankfully, others drive carefully as well.
Here you will get fined if the sidewalks aren't cleared.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:24 PM

943 posts, read 1,556,772 times
Default I love this guy!

Quote:

hth
THat's brilliant.. duh why didn't MY husband think of that?

Old 10-18-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Here you will get fined if the sidewalks aren't cleared.
Here where we live we don't have sidewalks. Our streets are owned by us and are relatively narrow with a 20 mph speed limit. Very much of a golf cart, minus the golf course, and walking community. Lotsa boats and the lake never freezes over.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM

28,508 posts, read 62,217,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
THat's brilliant... thx
duh why didn't MY husband think of that?
maybe because he knows that weeding and tending the beds can become another job in itself...
well, depending on how particular TOWMBO is.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:09 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,678,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Cannine C> I hear where you're coming from. Next year my wife and I are going to do more checking on the Tulsa OK area. Tax friendly for seniors; its hot and humid in summer but it doesn't last as long as in Texas. Lots of recreational opportunities, golf, plenty of nice lakes, in OK and Arkansas, hunting, fishing. Great scenery, and once you get out of the cities. That area is not heavily populated at all. Same goes for southern MO. Very sparsely populated in much of it. You might like Mountain Home Ark. Affordable housing, hour and 1/2 to Springfield MO for health care. Not a redneck town at all. Lots of retirees from the midwest, and a huge lake. They do get some winter storms there. Might be too cold for someone native to Texas but the winter weather should be similar to what you'd find in western NC.
I know there are a lot of places where it isn't so hot, but I just can't go from one tornado state to another with AR and OK even being worse than Texas. Maybe I will just have to find a small home elsewhere for the summer months and stay in Texas from about October to March and get the heck out from April to September. I just don't know. The more I look, the more discouraged I get.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:15 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,678,430 times
Quote:
You can go out and mow early morning or later evening when it's not so hot. That was my solution this summer when we spent a great portion of it with 100 + heat index.

Do that with the snow and you're just colder...
It's still too hot and uncomfortable. If it isn't too humid in the morning, that's the best time but in the evening, it just doesn't cool off and nearly kills me although I still do it. One day the headline of my local paper will read, "Old Lady Succommed To Relentless Heat While Mowing." I honestly feel like passing out, pounding headache, dizzy, spots before eyes, extremely flushed face, and a rapid pulse. I don't use a riding mower. If that were the case, it would be a cinch, hot or not.

I don't see how one can get colder shoveling snow. If one is "ginning," one is bound to warm up. I was working in the yard last winter when the temperature was in the 30s and I had to shed some clothing before I finished. Now that's my kind of weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or