U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2011, 06:01 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,814,715 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Western New York(WNY) near Buffalo. I have always thought I would live my life south of Buffalo, in WNY. The land and the small towns in WNY are beautiful. Housing and land is cheap because it is not attracting new people. If you can take the harsh winters with much moisture, you will enjoy a wonderful blend of seasons with many natural lakes.

Southern Tier West Business

I feel the same way about many areas around the Great Lakes. If it was not for my severe health problems that are made worse by wet and cold weather, I would think to go back.

Livecontent
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 PM

12,393 posts, read 8,638,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
No one has put in a vote for eastern Wisconsin along the shore of Lake Michigan, but the cost of living north of Port Washington is pretty affordable. Taxes tend to be on the high side, but housing is not terribly expensive, good health care, very safe, nice people once you get to know them, and plenty of recreation. However, like New England, the winters can be kinda tough. Summer close to the lake isn't hot in summer however. Lake Michigan keeps the temps low. Lots of people don't even have air conditoning.
Where is eastern Wisconsin??

Just how bad are the winters? What's good there for retirees?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 PM

19,237 posts, read 16,600,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Where is eastern Wisconsin??
Slightly to starboard of western Wisconsin!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 10-20-2011 at 07:17 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Slightly to starboard of westerm Wisconsin!
Thanks, captain!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:42 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,030,761 times
Quote:
Where are you in Texas? Nothing to recommend it?
central ... If you care about weather, it's great from some of October to some of April.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 PM

19,532 posts, read 22,750,292 times
Quote:
Oops, sorry...with your references to unbearable heat I thought you live in Texas, land of unbearable heat.

What state are you in that's so hot in the summer?
Iowa. This summer was oppressive. 100+ heat index for over a month. As high as 117.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 PM

5,161 posts, read 2,033,329 times
Newenglandgirl. I was thinking about the area north of Port Washington, Sheboygan and that area, anywhere from 0-15 miles from the lakeshore. IN the summer, a lake breeze kicks up in the afternoon many days and will drop the temps 10-20 degrees depending on how close you are to the lake. The lake is cold, but going down there is very much like being on the ocean. Those lakes are huge and there is no way you can see the other shore. The waves can easily reach 4-8 feet depending on the winds. Ships over 1000' long cruise the Great Lakes.

Winter can have heavy snow and cold temperatures. Its not unusual to hit -20 during the winter, but it typically will only stay a few days before it goes above zero. But winter will last from Thanksgiving to Easter most years. However, Wisconsin is covered with great parks all over the place, lots of golf courses, hunting, fishing(lakes everywhere and almost all have public access), hiking camping. People in Wisconsin pretty much keep going all year long and just dress for the weather but they love their outdoor activities and there is more there to do outdoors and cheaply that anyplace I have ever lived. People are generally pretty nice once you get to know them. Milwaukee has festivals every week in summer, a great zoo, and lots of museums. Professional sports is very accessable, except for the Packers. (There are 78,000 people on the waiting list for tickets. )

Let me know if I can help any more.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
NewEnglandgirl. Yes, I can put in a vote for Texas. Inexpensive to live compared to the rest of the US, generally safe, good roads. Property taxes are high but those over 65 get a big discount. There are lakes, plenty of sports teams. Around Austin and San Antonio, there is more variety in topography. However there are negatives. Summer is HOT! Being from Wisconsin, I've tried to flip my seasons, stay in in summer and recreate outside during the rest of the year. Texas isn't great on natural beauty or great state parks. We are on the Gulf of Mexico, but the beaches and ocean are kind of brown. Good medical care also. So its like most places, a mixes bag. However, I don't miss not shoveling snow, getting stuck in snow, and freezing to death. I could move back north if I had to but my wife would never come with me. Also, allergy problems are common in Texas. This is why we are shoping for a different locale for retirement. My wife has been under treatment the whole 14 years we've been here.
Sounds like a real mixed bag down there in TX. I don't know exactly why,but it is one of the few states I just cannot picture myself in, which is silly to say, as I have never been there. Funny how we all have impressions of places we've never been to. So how does your location rate, in accordance with my OP?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Newenglandgirl. I was thinking about the area north of Port Washington, Sheboygan and that area, anywhere from 0-15 miles from the lakeshore. IN the summer, a lake breeze kicks up in the afternoon many days and will drop the temps 10-20 degrees depending on how close you are to the lake. The lake is cold, but going down there is very much like being on the ocean. Those lakes are huge and there is no way you can see the other shore. The waves can easily reach 4-8 feet depending on the winds. Ships over 1000' long cruise the Great Lakes.

Winter can have heavy snow and cold temperatures. Its not unusual to hit -20 during the winter, but it typically will only stay a few days before it goes above zero. But winter will last from Thanksgiving to Easter most years. However, Wisconsin is covered with great parks all over the place, lots of golf courses, hunting, fishing(lakes everywhere and almost all have public access), hiking camping. People in Wisconsin pretty much keep going all year long and just dress for the weather but they love their outdoor activities and there is more there to do outdoors and cheaply that anyplace I have ever lived. People are generally pretty nice once you get to know them. Milwaukee has festivals every week in summer, a great zoo, and lots of museums. Professional sports is very accessable, except for the Packers. (There are 78,000 people on the waiting list for tickets. )

Let me know if I can help any more.
Thanks for your recommendations! but I am not personally needing help in a move. I really love where I am, but would move out of New England under a certain set of circumstances (who knows though, as boomers are certainly on the move and surprise even ourselves at times).

I posed my question in my Original Post (#1 on this thread) on behalf of all retirees looking for a new place, and in response to those often ridiculous surveys by Money and Kiplingers and Forbes that make laughable suggestions in regard to "affordable" and "livable." I've never seen a list yet that would remotely pertain to me. I thought we could do our own survey here on CD, with 5 simple criteria I set up in my OP. But as some gangster said in some movie, "It's complicated."

Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,814,715 times
Quote:
NewEnglandgirl. Yes, I can put in a vote for Texas. Inexpensive to live compared to the rest of the US, generally safe, good roads. Property taxes are high but those over 65 get a big discount. There are lakes, plenty of sports teams. Around Austin and San Antonio, there is more variety in topography. However there are negatives. Summer is HOT! Being from Wisconsin, I've tried to flip my seasons, stay in in summer and recreate outside during the rest of the year. Texas isn't great on natural beauty or great state parks. We are on the Gulf of Mexico, but the beaches and ocean are kind of brown. Good medical care also. So its like most places, a mixes bag. However, I don't miss not shoveling snow, getting stuck in snow, and freezing to death. I could move back north if I had to but my wife would never come with me. Also, allergy problems are common in Texas. This is why we are shoping for a different locale for retirement. My wife has been under treatment the whole 14 years we've been here.
I like Texas. I was in the Army in Texas, at San Angelo, GoodFellow AFB and Fort Hood at Kileen. I went to work in Texas after college and lived near Ft. Worth. Then I moved to Colorado, about 33 yrs. ago.

I would put in a vote for San Angelo in West Texas. Nice warmer climate. Smaller city that attracts many retirees. Big enough for good healthcare but not too big. Water bodies around the city as well as a river running through it. I thought it was very pleasant place to be, over 40 yrs ago but it appears that it has got even better place to live.

http://www.sanangelotexas.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement