U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-29-2011, 12:33 PM
 
5,031 posts, read 7,943,847 times
Reputation: 2305

Advertisements

Use Sperling's ... Best Places To Live ... You can look up any single town, city, or podunk in the US on its own or in comparison with another. It will give you all sorts of information, COL, weather, crime, health, housing and property tax $$, ethnicities, and so much more. I look at it all the time during my search for a new home.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: erred punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2011, 03:09 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,018 posts, read 8,246,761 times
Reputation: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Use Sperling's ... Best Places To Live ... You can look up any single town, city, or podunk in the US on its own or in comparison with another. It will give you all sorts of information, COL, weather, crime, health, housing and property tax $$, ethnicities, and so much more. I look at it all the time during my search for a new home.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed.
Thats all available right here on City-Data ! use your fingers.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 04:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2011, 09:56 AM
 
5,031 posts, read 7,943,847 times
Reputation: 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Thats all available right here on City-Data ! use your fingers.
Are you a bit grumpy / bossy with your directive toward me? I've checked out C-D many times and find it great as well although Sperling's is a bit faster to peruse. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think one can compare two cities at the same time. Have you looked at Sperling's? Perhaps you'd like it too as both give excellent information. Have a delightful day.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 10-30-2011 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2011, 11:05 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,018 posts, read 8,246,761 times
Reputation: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Are you a bit grumpy / bossy with your directive toward me? I've checked out C-D many times and find it great as well although Sperling's is a bit faster to peruse. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think one can compare two cities at the same time. Have you looked at Sperling's? Perhaps you'd like it too as both give excellent information. Have a delightful day.
OK , Yes I am guilty.... my thoughts at the time were not intended to you, but to so many who come on city-data Forum looking for answers that can be found on this site. I made my choice of a retirement city based on Cita-data, that was 4 years ago. I already was going to the UP , it was just what city. Starting out, I had no idea that Marquette had changed so much in 30 years when we came up here to camp.
I will check out the site you refer too, sorry no neg. intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 PM
 
19,350 posts, read 22,373,657 times
Reputation: 26788
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
OK , Yes I am guilty.... my thoughts at the time were not intended to you, but to so many who come on city-data Forum looking for answers that can be found on this site. I made my choice of a retirement city based on Cita-data, that was 4 years ago. I already was going to the UP , it was just what city. Starting out, I had no idea that Marquette had changed so much in 30 years when we came up here to camp.
I will check out the site you refer too, sorry no neg. intended.
Excellent post. There are a lot on CD that would never say this. And a lot that would. Nice to see which camp you pitched your tent in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2011, 05:00 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,018 posts, read 8,246,761 times
Reputation: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Excellent post. There are a lot on CD that would never say this. And a lot that would. Nice to see which camp you pitched your tent in...
Of coarse I settled on Marquette. Glad I did for many reasons including health care. We have about 80m people in the County. largest in Mi. I built my retirement home myself, finally done ! My profile has pics of my modern minimalist abode, along with Facebook album. Quite different for this area. We have a 50 mile view from our mt. top, of Lake Superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 PM
 
5,031 posts, read 7,943,847 times
Reputation: 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
OK , Yes I am guilty.... my thoughts at the time were not intended to you, but to so many who come on city-data Forum looking for answers that can be found on this site. I made my choice of a retirement city based on Cita-data, that was 4 years ago. I already was going to the UP , it was just what city. Starting out, I had no idea that Marquette had changed so much in 30 years when we came up here to camp.
I will check out the site you refer too, sorry no neg. intended.
You're very nice and I understand what you're saying. I was just giving my idea for the posters in where one can find a lot of information, but you're right. City-Data deserves credit too. I read both of them constantly.

You did a wonderful job on your home and the view is breath-taking. You have a lucky wife to have such a talented builder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,018 posts, read 8,246,761 times
Reputation: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
You're very nice and I understand what you're saying. I was just giving my idea for the posters in where one can find a lot of information, but you're right. City-Data deserves credit too. I read both of them constantly.

You did a wonderful job on your home and the view is breath-taking. You have a lucky wife to have such a talented builder.
Thanks for all the kind words,however all is not as it may seem. Yes I worked nearly 4 years on the home and the building site. I liked the site work the most, and, if I had hired out all that I would have way more into this place than I already do, which is way more than the norm around here...I hired subs for the actual construction,many week-ends,and evenings working alongside pros., but , we got it done.
There were many trying times, lack of funding ( no loans for no body these days), so I built with cash. Yes its paid for, but have lots of issues with easements,title work, and have been waiting for 6 months to sort out all the paper problems, just to get a mortgage, as I used most all of my savings to build. All this can be very trying on personal relationships, that now is a big problem....so, its not over yet,most likely never will be. I know I am not a lone these days, but at lest I have a wonderful home and view. I do not want to go through this again ( third home build), I doubt my sanity could take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington - Wine Country
19 posts, read 13,186 times
Reputation: 36
Thumbs up Nice House Dastar

Hi Dastar - I am sorry for all the troubles you have had/are having but it sure is a cool house - I looked at all your pictures and I love the fall colors you get in all those trees and the big rocks are also very aesthetic (sp), your view is breathtaking.

Are your winters extreme there? Is it excessible year round? I didn't see any other homes up there, is it isolated? I'm assuming you are in Michigan?

Anyway, nice house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2011, 11:20 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,018 posts, read 8,246,761 times
Reputation: 2229
Thanks for the kind words. Yes I do have 4 neighbors at the bottom of the mountain which starts my driveway.( about 1200 ft.)( we live on a private road which we all share in snow removal contractor service) I have made a new driveway ,took me 2 years and lots of sand and rocks.It is assessable year-round. A very tight warm home built with state of the art materials and loads of insulation. We are only 4 miles from city center and about 5 miles from Marquette General Hospital.I plow down the driveway myself.as needed with my tractor which I keep in the heated under house garage area.Last winter it was so mild that I only plowed twice. WE are only 3 crow miles down range from lake Superior, so it effects our weather. Winters are dry cold,seldom below 20 f and summers in the 70s no AC needed, so far. This an all electric home with 400 amp underground service at very cheep rates. from our view we do not see any neighbors, only lights at night from a few businesses near the lake.Yes the view is unbelievable ! We can on a clear day see Picture Rocks National lake shore as well as some little villages among the trees. Telescope views are magnificent. Total view is about 50 miles. I think it would be OK to say I have the best view in Marquette, and, maybe the UP , if you consider the panoramic high up type views..... I hate to think about it, but the day could come when I may have to sell it, for personal reasons. Time will tell soon. I had planed to make this my last home build, to live out most of my days here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top