U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM
 
943 posts, read 1,555,299 times
Reputation: 967

Advertisements

...getting back to Massachusetts..

No, NewEnglandGirl.. not too interested in a condo at all--> fees! yuk.. Want grandchildren to be able to visit, have BBQ's and gardens.. Privacy a must!

DH & I don't care for the proximity of close neighbors, smelling someone else's moth balls wafting on a breezy day or their cigarette smoke, or listening to their music or (if they are hard of hearing) TV vibrating through a wall no matter how thick they are.

no offense, if you've become accustomed to that then you aren't as affected..
on the other hand...
we have averted from it and still enjoy a "don't fence me in" lifestyle.

but since you were all on the subject of massachusetts for a moment there..
if there are any more positives you can add to the list, please sing that song.
..its sounding sweet.

Thanks everybody!!

CS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
This sounds like Nirvana to me. My husband and I live near Atlanta and we are stuck here for now, but I am constantly researching on line and looking for somewhere to go and spend our retirement. Your criteria is the same as ours. We have thusfar limited ourselves to the east coast, but I think it may be time to start looking toward the midwest.
As an East-coaster, I second the Midwest!
(lived there twice, for 2 yrs and 7 yrs, it's way underrated for retirees)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 AM
 
570 posts, read 1,144,343 times
Reputation: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
This sounds like Nirvana to me. My husband and I live near Atlanta and we are stuck here for now, but I am constantly researching on line and looking for somewhere to go and spend our retirement. Your criteria is the same as ours. We have thusfar limited ourselves to the east coast, but I think it may be time to start looking toward the midwest.
I'm thinking the same thing. I always had the impression of the midwest that it was a land of extremes - extreme heat in the summer and extreme cold in the winter (at least in the NE, you usually only have the cold to worry about!). So, never gave it much more thought. But perhaps I was too hasty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 03:19 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Reputation: 29071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Show me the demographics and the climate of a place, what the tax and guns laws are of that state, and how that state voted in the last couple presidential elections, and I'll know whether I could be happy there.

All things I checked carefully before making our move.

When I moved to Wyoming nine years ago I came home. I'd never lived here before nor even spent that much time here, but when I moved here I came home. I've met people here from California, Georgia, even New York City; they came home too.

If you love freeedom, if you want room to breath, if you're sick of current academic and media mush, maybe you should come home too.
When we moved to the Aux Arcs we too came home. We moved back to America and I'm not leaving unless it's feet first!

Won't let me rep you either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
 
28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
Reputation: 36735
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
As an East-coaster, I second the Midwest!
(lived there twice, for 2 yrs and 7 yrs, it's way underrated for retirees)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
I'm thinking the same thing. I always had the impression of the midwest that it was a land of extremes - extreme heat in the summer and extreme cold in the winter (at least in the NE, you usually only have the cold to worry about!). So, never gave it much more thought. But perhaps I was too hasty!
As a Midwesterner I am getting such a kick out of these posts. I've lived here my entire life and I can't wait to get out of this weather. Everything else is great, but I simply can't take the extreme winters and extreme summers. And the summers are getting worse for sure.

The last 5 or six years we have had some terrible winters. We were within 1/2 inch of the all time snowfall record one year and had extreme cold and wind another. This last summer was obnoxious. We went from non-stop rain (couldn't get any yard work done and trying to plant veggies was a waste of time) to about a month of over 100 (up to 117) heat indexes.

Enough already.

Edit: How's your tolerance for tornadoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
As a Midwesterner I am getting such a kick out of these posts. I've lived here my entire life and I can't wait to get out of this weather. Everything else is great, but I simply can't take the extreme winters and extreme summers. And the summers are getting worse for sure.

The last 5 or six years we have had some terrible winters. We were within 1/2 inch of the all time snowfall record one year and had extreme cold and wind another. This last summer was obnoxious. We went from non-stop rain (couldn't get any yard work done and trying to plant veggies was a waste of time) to about a month of over 100 (up to 117) heat indexes.

Enough already.

Edit: How's your tolerance for tornadoes?
Where are you in the Midwest? I was in St Louis 2 years (yes, hot/humid in summer!), and 7 years in mid-Missouri with no a.c. The summers didn't bother me so much in those years,but I was in my late 30s and so much younger. I hear that the Midwest weather has indeed gotten more extreme. Last few winters in mid-Missouri saw quite a bit of ice, and snowstorms. Doesn't seem to last too many days at a time in that region, but the upper Midwest sure gets it.

The first time in MO, we got a tornado through Wentzville. In the second time (7 yrs), no tornadoes. But seeing the devastation in Joplin was heartbreaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 04:09 PM
 
28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
Reputation: 36735
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Where are you in the Midwest? I was in St Louis 2 years (yes, hot/humid in summer!), and 7 years in mid-Missouri with no a.c. The summers didn't bother me so much in those years,but I was in my late 30s and so much younger. I hear that the Midwest weather has indeed gotten more extreme. Last few winters in mid-Missouri saw quite a bit of ice, and snowstorms. Doesn't seem to last too many days at a time in that region, but the upper Midwest sure gets it.

The first time in MO, we got a tornado through Wentzville. In the second time (7 yrs), no tornadoes. But seeing the devastation in Joplin was heartbreaking.
Central Iowa. On a side note: We traveled to Kansas City every year for quite a few, in May, for my birthday.

Every year there were tornadoes. The last time we went it tore up the local race track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Central Iowa. On a side note: We traveled to Kansas City every year for quite a few, in May, for my birthday.

Every year there were tornadoes. The last time we went it tore up the local race track.
And sent Dorothy to Oz...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Reputation: 29071
And the wicked witch ended up in Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 05:18 PM
 
943 posts, read 1,555,299 times
Reputation: 967
Default while riding on her broomstick

in Washington? OH, YOU MUST BE TALKING ABOUT MY SISTER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top