U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 10:42 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,481,537 times

Advertisements

I cannot think of many worse ways to live or vacation than by being trapped on a cruise ship or freighter.

Even one week or a few days is way too long to be trapped on a ship.

And getting off at ports does not change that opinion or millieu.

Being trapped on a ship would be pretty horrid for a great many people.

I'm always shocked when the Bethesda male poster waxes with enthusiasm about his frequent trans-atlantic ship excursions rather than flying across the ocean to Europe and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 02:59 AM

13,365 posts, read 25,660,172 times
And that's what makes the world go 'round...
I got seasick on the Boston Common Swan Boats. If anyone is familiar with them, you know that I wouldn't exactly enjoy a cruise.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:02 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,000,148 times
Our favorite type of vacation is being free to roam the countryside in search of little historic towns, hidden treasures and exploring the culture and history of older towns and cities, flying/driving, taking the train as we go and being totally free to decide what we want to do each day. The hunt - the fun of discovering new places, being absorbed in the grandeur of nature and meeting people along the way - that is what inspires us to travel and to do so on our own terms.

When considering destinations, a cruise has never entered our minds. It all seems so artificial and limiting, but then, I know we are not in the majority with this philosophy - and that thought actually makes us happy.

Last edited by Cattknap; 12-26-2011 at 06:11 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 07:45 AM

28,316 posts, read 40,033,938 times
We enjoy cruising. It's not something I could do for an extended period of time, but the opportunity to relax and have absolutely nothing that you need to do is a great feeling.

We've been on two, both to the Caribbean, and have thoroughly enjoyed both the cruise ship aspect as well as seeing numerous places in a short period of time.

It's certainly not for everyone.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:32 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,808,386 times
Default Ocean-going ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
I cannot think of many worse ways to live or vacation than by being trapped on a cruise ship or freighter.
I'm always shocked when the Bethesda male poster waxes with enthusiasm about his frequent trans-atlantic ship excursions rather than flying across the ocean to Europe and back.
While we all like different things, I find you use of the word "trapped" rather bizarre in this context. Why would you feel trapped on board a ship, provided you were not kidnapped and forced aboard against your will? There is plenty of room to move around - no sense of claustrophobia. In what way would it be "horrid"?

Back in the 1960's when the price differential between flying and sailing to Europe was not that great, I crossed the Atlantic four times (two round trips) by ship. Each crossing took six or seven days and it was absolutely fascinating and most enjoyable - great food, activities to participate in, interesting people, and the experience itself of being on the ocean on a large ship. I am very glad I had those opportunities and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Of course it goes without saying that if you are in a hurry you will choose flying, but I don't think that is what your post is about. Please explain yourself, as I am curious. You have used a bunch of negative adjectives to describe ocean travel, but you didn't explain what it is about ocean travel that makes you feel that way.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:31 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,586,540 times
Quote:

Ranks right up there with your love of Las Vegas, huh?

I've crossed the Pacific four times by ship, compliments of Uncle Sam, and they were on steamships, not troop carriers. Went to mainland China in the late 40s and returned a year and a half later rather hurredly due to the communist takeover. A ship was sent to evacuate us civilians. Then crossed again in the mid-50s to Japan, returning in the late 50s. Don't recall the China voyages but remember the Japanese passages quite fondly. Had a ball. Each voyage, counting ports-of-call such as Hawaii and Midway Island, took about two weeks.

Have salt water boated and sailed all my life until now so the really large passenger ships/floating hotels hold no charm for me nor any interest. However, we would love to go island hopping off Maine and in the Greek Isles one of these days, finances permitting. My wife, who took one cruise in the Bahamas some 30 years ago, concurs.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:19 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,596,924 times
Quote:

I doubt if you have ever been on a freighter if you associate it with cruise ship. Freighter is as different from cruise ship as backpacking is different from full package tour.

Unlike cruise ships, freighters do not offer entertainment, gift shops, restaurants, buffets, midnight snacks, help desk, or room service. Anything and everything one expects from a cruise ship cannot be found on a freighter. In fact, anything and everything one expects from a cheap Best Western cannot be found on a freighter either. Not a thing. Passengers on a freighter are not there to be taken care of or catered to, on or off the ship. There is nothing artificial about freighter, unless you think living side by side with a crew of working men in grease-stained overalls, steel-enforced work boots, heavy ropes, and hazmat masks is artificial.

Freighters do not dock at the same ports as cruise ships, so there are no tour guides, no duty-free shops, no gift shops, no peddlers, no vendors, and half of the time, not even taxi cabs.

Getting off at ports from a freighter is not the same as getting off at ports from a cruise ship. Cargo ships do not share ports with cruise ships, thus every single port we came to was in an industrial area, there was no one to welcome the ship but burly stevedores and solemn harbor police, most of them do not speak a word of English.

Believe me, there is no such thing as "same opinion or milieu" when you are at port from a freighter. Not when you have to deal with custom on your own, and each port has a different set of rules from the last. Not when you have to find your own transportation or walk to town. Not when "town" is not set up with tourists in mind. Not when "town" is not even on most maps. Not when there is an absence of currency exchange desk and Internet cafes.

Want to explore? You are on your own. Want to find a place of interest? You are on your own. Too much of exploring and now you are lost? You are on your own. Tourist information? Sorry, there is none.

In fact, we did not meet one tourist in any of the ports we came to in the entire voyage.

Freighter voyage is for people who wish to experience true life at sea and who are prepared to be thrown into a middle of one foreign place after another without anyone there to hold their hands. Artificial? Hardly.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-26-2011 at 12:55 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 12:25 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,481,537 times
No one is going to be taking a trip on a freighter. It's nice that you are so interested in it though.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:00 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,596,924 times
Quote:
No one is going to be taking a trip on a freighter. It's nice that you are so interested in it though.
"Freighter" was in your comment, together with cruise ship. That's the reason for my reply, and I spoke from my own experience.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:02 PM

4,496 posts, read 4,770,603 times
Quote:

I can't imagine it at all. I have a friend who sail over from Spain and jus the thought made me sick. UGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or