Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:03 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Like many, I'm tired of seeing these "Best Places to Retire" annual lists written up by leading mainstream money magazines, with recommendations that seem pretty far-fetched to me.

I also see a lot of assumptions about places that may not be true across the board--such as California and New England are unaffordable. As some point out, in specific places some things are pricey and other things are not, balancing out the question of "affordability."

Many things are more objective, such as quality of medical facilities, things to do for seniors, kinds of housing available.

The one thing that is definitely subjective is "affordability." What is easily affordable for one may not be easily, or at all, affordable for another.

IMO, the best recommendations are from those on the ground, those actually living in or at least knowing a place very well firsthand.

If we were to stick to 5 simple questions, based on your living there (current or recently) how would you rate your recommendation for where to grow old? (Please don't list where not to.)

1. Niceness of the area, aesthetically
2. Driveability (traffic factor, distance factor)
3. Ease in access to basics: supermarket, library, P.O., stores, entertainment
4. Quality of medical facilities and senior living options
5. Affordable (all things considered, all kinds of taxes) for retirees of modest income, say $50K or under/year

Looking forward to responses.
WALKABILITY= you may not always be able to drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Excellent point, Boompa. It's nice to know that we live in a neighborhood in which neighbors help neighbors and that includes transportation. But unfortunately, that's no longer the norm.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:38 PM

941 posts, read 1,803,767 times
Default to Curmudgeon

I guess taxes are a variable depending on how close to a large city you are.
We have 4 acres, a 1700 s.f. home and only pay $700 annually.. (VERY good schools).. 17 miles from Roanoke city, and our home isn't out in the sticks but near a main highway.. maybe I just got lucky...
I'm glad you had the chance to spend some time here. So, you get it, about the beauty. It enriches one's life and ones soul. Thank for your input.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
I guess taxes are a variable depending on how close to a large city you are.
We have 4 acres, a 1700 s.f. home and only pay $700 annually.. (VERY good schools).. 17 miles from Roanoke city, and our home isn't out in the sticks but near a main highway.. maybe I just got lucky...
I'm glad you had the chance to spend some time here. So, you get it, about the beauty. It enriches one's life and ones soul. Thank for your input.
Guess I was too close to D.C. But it is beautiful.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Hi,
I too am a New England girl.. really, if you look at the beauty in New England, and then wrap it up and bring it into the countryside of Virginia..
and then compare the two here's what you get: genuinely friendly people in VA..less stress, even MORE beautiful scenery for longer stretches, faaaar less sprawl, more cows & horses (if you like to see that along the way to the mall), alive & well arts, theater, and all of those things you love to do with the added benefit of safety, but mostly it those low, low taxes.. yes, excellent hospitals, and less snowstorms.. Spring arrives two weeks earlier..but summer is about the same as CT, or MA.. Its just so pretty!
OK, so tell us where in Virginia! Would that be Salem? (where I visited on my find-a-place-in-the-south tour)

Where did you move to VA from? Do you find the place welcoming to outsiders?

Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Dang, I was trying to keep it to 5.

OK--walkability. Add that in.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
Should we add pleasant climate to the list?
I didn't want to add pleasant climate, because that is so subjective...different for everyone, and the survey could get really complicated really fast. Some want hot dry, some want cool humid, some don't mind rain, some do, some hate cold and snow, others don't mind...I was trying to choose the most objective 5 criteria, and folks can sort out climate for themselves.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
OK, so tell us where in Virginia! Would that be Salem? (where I visited on my find-a-place-in-the-south tour)

Where did you move to VA from? Do you find the place welcoming to outsiders?
I certainly did! Good ol' southern hospitality and wonderful neighbors, both times.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:32 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,100 times
Omaha, Nebraska

Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
Omaha, Nebraska
You live in Gaithersburg, Maryland now and you prefer Omaha? I am not trying to be critical, just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement