Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times

Advertisements

And what about Mass. health care ? best in the nation, and everyone is covered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 11:01 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
What about Massachusetts' taxes?

What about Massachusetts' gun laws?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:46 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Healthcare is a major cost for everyone, and especially Seniors. This includes hospital care and good doctors being close by. Everything else has to take a back seat when it comes to wants. and needs....gun laws....give me a break !!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Healthcare is a major cost for everyone, and especially Seniors. This includes hospital care and good doctors being close by. Everything else has to take a back seat when it comes to wants. and needs....gun laws....give me a break !!
I may be old; but I intend to live my life, not endure it.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
And what about Mass. health care ? best in the nation, and everyone is covered?
Not making any claims about "best," but I know where I'd head if I had cancer or other difficult disease. Everyone is covered because it is a state law to be. For those who cannot afford to be, there are some programs.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What about Massachusetts' taxes?

What about Massachusetts' gun laws?
Compared with other Northeast states (NY, NH, CT, and parts of VT), MA taxes are less in general. As I said, they are higher than in other parts of the country, no question. Property taxes are balanced somewhat by no state tax on retirement income--such as pensions or SS, and no sales tax on groceries or clothing.

What's your point with gun laws? If you want to be gun-totin', go West....or Maine. Lot more room to shoot around.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What's your point with gun laws? If you want to be gun-totin', go West....or Maine. Lot more room to shoot around.
Just don't go too far west. Washington, Oregon and California aren't very friendly in that respect. Kinda like most of New England. It's amazing how being on one ocean or another seems to warp the collective minds the same way. Better to stick with Middle America.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:25 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
All I'd have to do if I disliked MA's gun laws is drive 20 miles north and spend time in New Hampshire.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Just don't go too far west. Washington, Oregon and California aren't very friendly in that respect. Kinda like most of New England. It's amazing how being on one ocean or another seems to warp the collective minds the same way. Better to stick with Middle America.
Many many years ago, when I first learned I had move to the Midwest the first time (D-ex's job), I sat down in the middle of my living room and nearly cried. I had never been out of the Northeast. All I could picture was dusty unpaved roads, saloons, and gun-toting outlaws and Wyatt Earp types. I nervously asked friends if I too should acquire a gun. As we traveled across the endless state of Ohio to Missouri I kept wondering why we were still on a paved highway, with regular looking cities and towns, even gas stations. When was I going to hit the Wild West just before Kansas?? Imagine my surprise when I arrived in a progressive place where ATMs and mega markets were open 24/7, where suburbs were sprawling with mcMansions, and new building going at a dizzying pace. Where were the cowboys? lol

Those who want liberal gun laws should live where gun laws are liberal. Those who want low taxes should move where there are low taxes. Those who need to be in a place that have neither, but who want these things, will have to put up and shut up.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:37 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKSeeks View Post
Mexico! Travel the Baja!

I'm like you - I love the ocean. Florida is too humid and so is Texas, California is too expensive - but the Baja - oh my, what a rare find that is. It is skinny enough to enjoy the Pacific Ocean side and the same day the Sea of Cortez side. It is glorious! I am tickled pink we found it.

We too have had many fun years - and many of the things we used to do, I miss, like floating the South Fork of the Snake River in Idaho. But our retirement goal is to slow down a little bit, but also get back into the fun things we love doing.
I like San Felipe, just enough town to make it interesting. You can eat at Langosta Roja
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement