Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Interesting thought. I'm going in November and again in late January and will pay particular attention to see if this is a problem.
That is an excellent plan. Several of our acquaintances who live in Ocean City (Ocean Pines MD) year round have begun to join us in Costa Rica for snow birding.

MD/DE weather in winter can be a pain (literally) during the cold season. We've found it best to get a break during the worst of it (late Jan-Feb) and our joints seem to agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 01:37 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
That is an excellent plan. Several of our acquaintances who live in Ocean City (Ocean Pines MD) year round have begun to join us in Costa Rica for snow birding.

MD/DE weather in winter can be a pain (literally) during the cold season. We've found it best to get a break during the worst of it (late Jan-Feb) and our joints seem to agree.
I see you live in MD. Hi neighbor! I'm in northern VA. How different do you think the winter cold is from what we experience in Nova?

Old 10-06-2011, 02:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Interesting thought. I'm going in November and again in late January and will pay particular attention to see if this is a problem.
Cold, moisture and wind are the three evils and when combined they can hurt. My Accupuncturist has me well trained. I can even notice the difference now at the North Carolina Beaches. Will be in Aruba in late November so that will be my last warm beach experience until sometime in the Spring. At least when you will be there in the Winter you won't be in the warm and will be dressed warmly. It is the late beach days in the Fall and early Days in the Spring that I feel it most.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:41 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
I have a friend who retired to Dewey beach about 4 years ago and just loves it.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:08 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,693 times
Quote:
I see you live in MD. Hi neighbor! I'm in northern VA. How different do you think the winter cold is from what we experience in Nova?
Not really all that much, neighbor. We're in Sykesville, about 45 minutes north of DC proper. A close friend lives in Fairfax and we usually whine about the weather in similar tones.

I don't think you get much difference with that minor geographic differential. The Shore though, is a different climate. We've been to OC/Rehoboth in the winter and its not somewhere I'd want to be. Costa Rica is way more pleasant for the dog days of winter.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:04 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Not really all that much, neighbor. We're in Sykesville, about 45 minutes north of DC proper. A close friend lives in Fairfax and we usually whine about the weather in similar tones.

I don't think you get much difference with that minor geographic differential. The Shore though, is a different climate. We've been to OC/Rehoboth in the winter and its not somewhere I'd want to be. Costa Rica is way more pleasant for the dog days of winter.
Yeah you really need a good pain management program and be able to minimize joint exposure. You need to own a good air tight place and a fire place helps. You can minimize the impact with heating pads and a good treatment program etc. When the weather is cool and not hot you might need to wear long pants when you wouldn't elsewhere etc etc. Also perhaps in colder weather less consecutive days and shorter days on the beach.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:51 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
We're seriously considering retirement at one of the beach communities in Delaware. Has anyone here looked into this, and what are the pros and cons?
As a visitor to the area for the last few years, I can tell you a big con is traffic in the Rehobeth area on Coastal Highway especially in the summer. It's worse in Rehobeth than Ocean City, MD but that's bad, too. Too much foot and bike traffic, too, for me. And, the speed limit changes make me nuts. One minute the speed limit is 35 and the next minute it's 55. The cops are waiting for you. Lewes is a little better but that's where the tornado hit during Irene. I'm guessing you've thoroughly thought out what it's like to live in a tourist town.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm guessing you've thoroughly thought out what it's like to live in a tourist town.
Yes, we lived for 20 years in a beach town in California (a little bit more than just a tourist town, but had the same traffic issues in the summer) and my husband grew up in a small beach town on Long Island that had the issue of the town being lively in the summer and dead in the winter. We'd love to go back to either of those areas but can't afford them. Delaware is pretty much the only stretch of beach property that we can reasonably afford, but isn't quite as prone to hurricanes as some of the coastal areas south of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement