Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times

Advertisements

Years ago my wife asked me to take her to an indoor concert. I don't recall who it was but he's generally pretty mellow. However, I had to walk out after three songs because the volume literally hurt my ears.

Many years around in and around tanks, helicopters, armored personnel carriers and infantry weapons both large ande small had aslready taken their toll and robbed me of almost total high frequency hearing in one ear and significant loss in the other.

I still cannot believe the youth are as careless with their hearing as they are with their ever-present ear buds, rock concerts, raves, ramped up bass and volume in their cars, etc. Just plain dumb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 04:25 PM

150 posts, read 297,836 times
My point exactly! Maybe the young people just don't know the price they will be paying for the excessive volume.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:10 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
^^^ I used to be one of those kids...listening to rock music as far up as the volume would go ....now, I have a difficult time hearing out of one ear...and if there are multiple stimuli, such as a radio and a tv at the same time, I either leave or ask someone to change the situation...not only can I not hear, it increases anxiety for me for some reason.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
If I walk into a restaurant or bar (or any other venue) and it's too loud I turn around and walk out. I have had people in these places ask about being seated and I've responded that I won't be staying because of the noise level. Most of the time I get a stupid stare. Clueless.

With a high-end hearing loss and tinnitus in both ears, I avoid loud like the plague it is.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:50 AM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
^^^ I used to be one of those kids...listening to rock music as far up as the volume would go ....now, I have a difficult time hearing out of one ear...and if there are multiple stimuli, such as a radio and a tv at the same time, I either leave or ask someone to change the situation...not only can I not hear, it increases anxiety for me for some reason.
Oh, I've always had trouble with hearing when there is extra ambient noise, but yes, this world is so freaking loud. I, too, have serious anxiety when things get too loud. I remember watching Top Gun at the movie theater back in the 80's and darn near had a panic attack. Yea, I know, old reference, but it was the beginning of a realization for me that I get really nervous when it gets too loud.

I live in Dallas and I long to move out of the traffic noise, the car noise, the outdoor concerts I pass on the way home...I could go on and on with the noise examples. I'm not as worried about hearing loss (b/c I'm trying to take precautions) but I am worried about passing out from the anxiety of a much too loud society!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I live in Dallas and I long to move out of the traffic noise, the car noise, the outdoor concerts I pass on the way home...I could go on and on with the noise examples. I'm not as worried about hearing loss (b/c I'm trying to take precautions) but I am worried about passing out from the anxiety of a much too loud society!
One of the pleasures of moving from a city to a purely rural area is the peace and quiet. We came to despise the sounds of cars, horns, people yelling and screaming, the homeless yacking and rifling through trash cans at all hours of the night along with the rumbles of their shopping carts filled with cans and bottles bumping along streets and sidewalks, occasional gun shots, fire and police sirens, ghetto birds (police helicopters), loud music blaring, etc. and traded them all for the sounds of nature. Pure bliss!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:47 AM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,231 times
Oh, Curmudgeon, how wonderful. I've heard of people having trouble sleeping when the crickets are chirping at night (how can that be?) but I can hear the highway from my home and from the office for that matter, and again, I long for quiet. The sound of the wind in the trees, the cicadas, whatever it may be...even a child laughing...is so soothing to me.

If only I could find a job out in the country somewhere...can't retire just yet!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile Poor vision - awesome hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
When I was a teenager my Dad warned me I was going to go blind one day.

It's coming true. My eyesight isn't what it was and I have to keep reading glasses in every room in my house and in the car.

On the other hand, my hearing is fine.
They say if you have poor vision, you may have great hearing. I can hear a pin drop!

Anyway, we went to the movies recently and I noticed this. It was an earlier time than usual - usually, we go around 7:30 or so - this was more like 6:15 PM so maybe that had something to do with it.

I've definitely been to my share of rock concerts though (used to love Bruce, Chicago, EW & F etc - just the best).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement