U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 AM

147 posts, read 206,344 times

Advertisements

On this board most of us know someone who has hearing impairment that came with age. It is a problem with no cure. Hearing aides are expensive and don't solve the problem well. So what amazes me is what I have to do, and so often, to help avoid hearing loss from high volume sound in public events.
I went to see a show at Radio City Music hall. I didn't know enough to bring my ear plugs, so sat through the show with one finger covering one ear. When I go to my exercise classes my instructor blasts the music for the whole group of students. I wear ear plugs. When I go to the movies, I wear ear plugs.
It is as if the already failing hearing of the general population is being catered to. The younger generation with their ear buds must be suffering earlier hearing loss than we ever did.
Other than protecting my hearing I doubt there is anything that can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 02:20 PM

2,742 posts, read 726,749 times
I agree, Janeace! I am somehow able to tolerate the volume at the gym, although ear plugs are available. But even at outdoor concerts, I've had to wear ear plugs! And most restaurants are agony.

What was really scary was this summer at an outdoor concert. There's a smartphone app that measures the decibel levels---the meter went as high as it could---said it was like a jack hammer and could result in hearing loss.

Strange how this doesn't seem to bother most people.....

Old 10-06-2011, 03:12 PM

147 posts, read 206,344 times
It will bother them a few decades from now when hearing loss ensues. A person goes to the gym to improve their body's ability to function...and the noise hurts one of their most precious senses. Rather ironic.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:22 PM

6,973 posts, read 12,494,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
It will bother them a few decades from now when hearing loss ensues. A person goes to the gym to improve their body's ability to function...and the noise hurts one of their most precious senses. Rather ironic.

I agree. Most of them will be deaf by age 50 if not sooner. When I go to the gym the ridiculous high volume music puts a damper on the workouts. It is not only ridiculously loud but obnoxious annoying music. That is if one could call it music. I often wish the audio system would blow all its speakers and just shut up. Between the music and the cleaning person vacuming the gyms floors I'm surprised I'm not deaf. I don't know why the gyms play it. Most of the members are young and have ear buds and IPODS. So they are not even listening to it.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:16 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times
Quote:
It will bother them a few decades from now when hearing loss ensues.
Quote:
Most of them will be deaf by age 50 if not sooner.
Quote:
It is not only ridiculously loud but obnoxious annoying music. That is if one could call it music.
This thread makes me grin - it sounds like my parents in the late 60's early 70's.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:49 PM

9,686 posts, read 15,874,542 times
What? Speak up, I cant hear you? what? What?

^^^^
Is NOT the way to handle hearing loss.I do CS and phone sales, seems I spend half my time screaming for the benefit of the hearing impaired public. Look if you know you have a hearing loss, realize its YOUR problem, don't make it everyone else's. I have the greatest of sympathy for those with disabilities (I'm also disabled), but a person has to realize when its their problem, not everyone else's.

Also, beiong hard-of-hearing is NOT an excuse to be flat out rude to others. My job is all via telephone. Ok, why does a person call on the phone if they know they have a hearing loss, then keep screaming "speak up!' Get a phone amplifier, or get someone to place the call for them, don't just hound the poor phone operator. I've learned many are playing a game, and I don't play along anymore. If they say they can't hear 3x, I say sorry, but since you've clearly stated on a recorded line you can't hear me, I cannot legally process your order. Please call back for a better connection, thank you for calling piece of crap" hey, it works, and saves my voice!

Old 10-07-2011, 06:29 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,743,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What? Speak up, I cant hear you? what? What?

^^^^
Is NOT the way to handle hearing loss.I do CS and phone sales, seems I spend half my time screaming for the benefit of the hearing impaired public. Look if you know you have a hearing loss, realize its YOUR problem, don't make it everyone else's. I have the greatest of sympathy for those with disabilities (I'm also disabled), but a person has to realize when its their problem, not everyone else's.

Also, beiong hard-of-hearing is NOT an excuse to be flat out rude to others. My job is all via telephone. Ok, why does a person call on the phone if they know they have a hearing loss, then keep screaming "speak up!' Get a phone amplifier, or get someone to place the call for them, don't just hound the poor phone operator. I've learned many are playing a game, and I don't play along anymore. If they say they can't hear 3x, I say sorry, but since you've clearly stated on a recorded line you can't hear me, I cannot legally process your order. Please call back for a better connection, thank you for calling piece of crap" hey, it works, and saves my voice!

Is your disability lack of sensitivity to others disabilites? If not, then add lack of sensitivity.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 PM

9,686 posts, read 15,874,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Is your disability lack of sensitivity to others disabilites? If not, then add lack of sensitivity.

How am I being insensitive? I can only do so much, with my phone job, I can't be expected to scream myself hoarse repeating myself all night with a customer. Perhaps the hard-of-hearing should learn to be "sensitive" to others they deal with, a little common courtesy would go a long way, try saying "please" speak a little louder, I'm hard of hearing" instead of snapping my head of "speak up, I can't hear you"

Like I said, the solution to a hearing problem isn't to go around snarling at everyone you can't hear.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:03 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,344,497 times
When I was a teenager my Dad warned me I was going to go blind one day.

It's coming true. My eyesight isn't what it was and I have to keep reading glasses in every room in my house and in the car.

On the other hand, my hearing is fine.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,552,001 times
I have a few good set of gun mufflers and noise mufflers. I have them fixed up with extra foam and they work great. I started using them in the college dorms to avoid killing the immature students and their "look at me" loud music with speakers blaring out the windows; or maybe I did kick a few in the groin--but I could not hear them scream.

I wear them when the idiot next door uses his leaf blower with his obsessive compulsions to blow everything away.

I wear them to avoid fighting the moron dog owners, and there there are many, with their loud barking and howling from their pets.

I wear them just to have peace and quiet from lawnmowers and snow blowers.

I wear them to dismiss and ignore those "who want to be noticed" with "foreplay" on their motorcycles engines before they even leave, and the noise they make with "afterplay" when they return home.

I never was into that rock noise they call music, which equate loud with quality.

I do not go to stupid movies or other venues which are loud. It would be nice if sound from the movies is sent through individual headsets so those who want it loud can have their fix and it can be set for the individual. You bring your own headset and plug in and set the volume and sound controls at your seat--just like on an airplane. A big advantage you would not have to hear the slob, near you, who is pushing popcorn loudly down his fat face, faster than he can chew. Better yet, I stay home and I do not waste my money on mindless "star" adulation.

A pleasure for me is to sit quietly in my easy chair and read a good book, with no music, no TV and wearing my thick noise mufflers. The whole world disappears and fades to silence and I
Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-08-2011 at 01:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement