Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:20 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachko View Post
They're all a bunch of crooks. They lobby the US govt to protect their profits at the expense of peoples health.
The absolute truth!

Decency and humanity is being sacrificed at the altar of profits and greed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Corporate greed knows no bounds......All American Big Bussiness and politicians care about is the all mighty dollar......

Old 10-09-2011, 05:38 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Corporate greed knows no bounds......All American Big Bussiness and politicians care about is the all mighty dollar......
Big business should be, politicians should have other items on their agenda also. Politicians do have to worry about big business as somebody needs to pay the bills. Whether folks think they are paying their fair share is debatable but they are paying the lions share between the affluent and business

Old 10-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Big business should be, politicians should have other items on their agenda also. Politicians do have to worry about big business as somebody needs to pay the bills. Whether folks think they are paying their fair share is debatable but they are paying the lions share between the affluent and business
Corporate America use to care about thier employees too. 30 years ago most Corporations bad a defined pension retirement system in place for thier employees. Now if they offer anything at all it is a 401k plan that the worker puts money in. Meanwhile the CEO's have million dollar severance packages on top of million dollar salaries.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
We got a letter from Walgreens telling us we would no longer be able to use our Blue Cross/Anthem insurance for prescriptions as of January 1....no problem, there are 2 other pharmacies that are just as close that will honor our insurance....mostly we get things through the mail now anyway.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Corporate America use to care about thier employees too. 30 years ago most Corporations bad a defined pension retirement system in place for thier employees. Now if they offer anything at all it is a 401k plan that the worker puts money in. Meanwhile the CEO's have million dollar severance packages on top of million dollar salaries.
Shareholders are the ones who ought and can have a say in Executive compensation. They are the owners of the corporation and the CEO is and should be working on their behalf and seeking to maximize profits. The issue is when Executive compensation comes at the expense of shareholder dividends. I wonder how many investors in here are willing to compromise their portfolio returns to make non shareholders/investors happy? I wonder how many retirees are more worried about whether the companies they invest in are providing pensions or increasing the value of their holdings? Pensions can play a very important role in corporate fringe benefits for employees but it isn't the reason the company exists.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The absolute truth!

Decency and humanity is being sacrificed at the altar of profits and greed!
Occupy the Pharmaceutical Companies!

Old 10-16-2011, 11:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Occupy the Pharmaceutical Companies!
Yeah, that! Now our meds are being taken off automatic refill. I'm sure it's because they hope us old retirees will forget to order refills and save them some money.

Glad I'm not that dotty yet! I wanna stick it to 'em every chance I get.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
If you really believe the pharm companies are making financial killings, then become a stockholder and participate in the returns. I did that years ago with an oil well partnership investment. Every time gas prices increased, I paid more at the pump but did better on my investment. Overall it turned out to be a poor investment but it was satisfying to retrieve some of my gas expenses.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If you really believe the pharm companies are making financial killings, then become a stockholder and participate in the returns. I did that years ago with an oil well partnership investment. Every time gas prices increased, I paid more at the pump but did better on my investment. Overall it turned out to be a poor investment but it was satisfying to retrieve some of my gas expenses.
Easier way to do it is to invest in an energy mutual fund and make a lot more than your energy cost increase if you invest a lot. Just know when to get in and when to get out which is most important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement