U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:58 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,881,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Some things likely won't.
Everything changes. We will all die. Nothing remains the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 01:06 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,547,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Everything changes. We will all die. Nothing remains the same.
How cheerful!

Old 10-12-2011, 01:49 PM

4,650 posts, read 6,498,868 times
Default Tired

Quote:
I don't know how much of this is "normal," or how much it is just specific to my life.

I am in my early sixties . . .have raised kids and have been "taking care" of a few people in my family for years (by "taking care" - managing in numerous different ways . . .)

I just retired last year . . .

I am exhausted but here's the part I am wondering about . . . I have the following "symptoms"

* Aversion to hearing the phone ring - have been programmed to expect "bad news"
* Extremely low tolerance for other people's problems - just sick of the ones in the family who can't seem to get it together for one reason or another (there are a few of them)
* Pessimistic due to the above and am trying to shake it . . .

Everyone has problems in life, but as you get older, it just seems like there is not as much energy or optimism to deal with them - I know this is not true for everyone - there are those that remain optimistic, those who don't concern themselves with others, etc.

I am just wondering if other people feel as worn out as I feel and if so, what you make of it, or what you intend to do about it - and if not, what you attribute it to (specifically) . . .

Here is my cure for being tired of dealing with other people issues (Adults).. Drive by a cemetery and look at the headstones. I don't mean it as a negative but as a positive. We all have a limited time on earth and when we go it's not like anyone is willing to join us so they will take care of whatever problems they may have and life will go on.

It sounds like your at the stage in life when you should be considering you..Enjoy you..Sit back and have a drink (anything will do) and then make a commitment to do you.. Another good remedy is find pick a friend who you can trust to keep their mouth shut. Take a trip where no one knows you and just go wild.. A very statement is 'These people will never see me again"..Have a good time..

Old 10-12-2011, 04:06 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,969,752 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone - I am still going to have to be involved in some caregiving/managing - I am the only one who can do it . . .I think I just got depleted - I related to someone saying they wish they could sleep for a week - I even had the bizarre thought that I could understand why Michael Jackson was so desperate for sleep (don't worry - I don't take drugs and don't plan on starting, but I do understand the desire for peace and escape) . . .

I am just having a difficult time at the moment - "this too shall pass," as they say . . .
FWIW - having read your messages here - you sound situationally depressed to me (I am not a professional shrink - just an amateur - but that is how it sounds to me).

What is the caregiving/managing you do - and why are you the only one who can do it? Perhaps the latter is 100% true (and/or perhaps there are questions of drawing lines that might come into play). Like Paul Harvey - I would like to hear the "rest of the story" (if you'd care to share it - don't want to be intrusive if you'd rather not) before I say anything specific. Robyn

Old 10-12-2011, 04:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,020,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
FWIW - having read your messages here - you sound situationally depressed to me (I am not a professional shrink - just an amateur - but that is how it sounds to me).

What is the caregiving/managing you do - and why are you the only one who can do it? Perhaps the latter is 100% true (and/or perhaps there are questions of drawing lines that might come into play). Like Paul Harvey - I would like to hear the "rest of the story" (if you'd care to share it - don't want to be intrusive if you'd rather not) before I say anything specific. Robyn
She doesn't want to be diagnosed, she wants to hear from others experiencing the same (see OP #1).

Old 10-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
How cheerful!
It's just reality. I don't view it as negative.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Here is my cure for being tired of dealing with other people issues (Adults).. Drive by a cemetery and look at the headstones. I don't mean it as a negative but as a positive. We all have a limited time on earth and when we go it's not like anyone is willing to join us so they will take care of whatever problems they may have and life will go on.

It sounds like your at the stage in life when you should be considering you..Enjoy you..Sit back and have a drink (anything will do) and then make a commitment to do you.. Another good remedy is find pick a friend who you can trust to keep their mouth shut. Take a trip where no one knows you and just go wild.. A very statement is 'These people will never see me again"..Have a good time..

This is great advice! Thank you!

Old 10-12-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

I'm a philosophical type of person, so my answer will reflect that . . . I believe everyone has their "crosses to bear" or things they endure that make life less than rosy and pristine 24/7. I have a lot to be grateful for - I live in a beautiful environment, I am relatively healthy, I have all of the basics . . .

And I also have a lot of responsibilities that I have chosen to take on (or that I have accepted) . . . I think it is normal to get burnt out when you are a "giver" amongst a sea of "takers" - If anyone gave me the nurturing I gave others, there would be no need for this thread, but life is not "fair" and people don't do what I would like them to do . . .

So I am basically doing the best I can, like everyone else . . . I don't think the details are that important . . . I am just mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted. Hopefully I'll snap out of it!

Old 10-12-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
She doesn't want to be diagnosed, she wants to hear from others experiencing the same (see OP #1).
You're right, I don't want to be diagnosed but to tell you the truth, I am so tired I don't even remember what I wrote in the OP (and too tired to even look).

Old 10-12-2011, 05:16 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,760,570 times
Candidly my dear, you need professional help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement