U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 04:38 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,942,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
You sound fine to me. My wife and I also get weary of dealing with the world, the people, the economy. We are not retired yet but getting close. My advice. Too many people are trying to fix the worlds problems and some family members problems. You've given advice and help. Let them go. If they keep messing up, its their problem, not yours. Maybe try spending time with children. They usually aren't completely messed up yet. You might have a positive influence on them. Plus, younger adults/parents are often times "too busy" , to talk to them, listen, read to them.

Some withdraw to their homes or the golf course but this wouldn't work with me. You might try it.
You sound kind of dismissive. How many years have you spent being a caregiver? If any. Heck - we are lucky that our parents have money. But I can still recall my husband bringing home all of his Dad's clothes from his SNF that were covered with sh** and hosing them down in the backyard when his Dad was going through radiation therapy. We don't know if we're talking about a second cousin twice removed here - or someone a little closer to the OP (which I think is likely). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 02:02 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,638,589 times
What -- us tired? Elderly say they're less exhausted than teens - latimes.com

Old 11-26-2013, 03:04 PM

4,487 posts, read 4,748,002 times
If I were retired, I wouldn't be tired either

Old 11-29-2013, 03:01 PM

14,416 posts, read 7,934,902 times
I had a friend over for Thanksgiving that is 66 and a life long smoker. We tried to take the dogs for a walk after dinner but she could barely make it and we had to stop several times. I met an older couple in their 70's on a skiing trip waiting for their skies at the baggage claim area. I want to be like them and not my friend. You are too young to be feeling this way. Do you have health issues? Are you just going through a depression? Do you exercise and eat right? I find that active people are the happiest. Do you have a pet? If not I have this Yorkie. No just kidding, he's part of our family now. What gives you the greatest joy? Focus more on that and less on being negative.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I had a friend over for Thanksgiving that is 66 and a life long smoker. We tried to take the dogs for a walk after dinner but she could barely make it and we had to stop several times. I met an older couple in their 70's on a skiing trip waiting for their skies at the baggage claim area. I want to be like them and not my friend. You are too young to be feeling this way. Do you have health issues? Are you just going through a depression? Do you exercise and eat right? I find that active people are the happiest. Do you have a pet? If not I have this Yorkie. No just kidding, he's part of our family now. What gives you the greatest joy? Focus more on that and less on being negative.
Heheh...this made me chuckle. I just had my greatest joys over for the entire dayŚmy grandtwins, 9 month old little fireballs. They just left. My body is aching head to foot. Active doesn't begin to describe my times with them. What does that say, that I'm not that fit?

Old 11-29-2013, 03:41 PM

8,767 posts, read 10,854,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am not the kind of person who walks away from responsibility. I just could not live with myself and would be even more miserable.
........etc.
Just an observation about life and this thread.

I'll bet the attitude expressed above is not new ... and neither is the sense of being overwhelmed and worn-out (and a little 'miserable') as a consequence of always taking-on more responsibility than you can reasonably handle!

Old 11-30-2013, 10:05 AM

14,416 posts, read 7,934,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Heheh...this made me chuckle. I just had my greatest joys over for the entire dayŚmy grandtwins, 9 month old little fireballs. They just left. My body is aching head to foot. Active doesn't begin to describe my times with them. What does that say, that I'm not that fit?
Kids are so much fun!! I have these three high octane crazy girls that spend the night or the weekend every other month. We go ice skating, roller skating, sledding, horse back riding and run around like crazy. I love the energy and they help keep my mind young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement