Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
i am sure ,taking on a room mate would get quite crowded, especially if She was attractive....wife's sometimes reject that arrangement ! If I did do so, out of need and or companionship, I wonder., would your new "friend" need to sign a lease ? ( assuming the wife has already left cause she has had enough, or she is dead.).... You never know, I may be looking sooner than I think !.
I would certainly encourage a legal arrangement that could protect you and yours in the event that it just didn't work out well - something along the lines of a month-to-month agreement rather than a long-term arrangement.

Now throw into the mix a cute redhead and I might reconsider!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:00 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,342 times
Curmudgeon, I wonder if it's a male thing to not want to have housemate(s) in older years....are men more set in their ways perhaps, and women more "communal"? Just wondering....[/quote]

im a 59 single female and i wouldnt be all so keen on having a housemate as i value my privacy also - i had a female housemate years ago and found it annoying - she was forever going into my drawers and borrowing stockings or anything else she needed - i also had a male housemate which did work out for the better since he never borrowed my clothing LOL - all in all i would prefer to live alone -

Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I would certainly encourage a legal arrangement that could protect you and yours in the event that it just didn't work out well - something along the lines of a month-to-month agreement rather than a long-term arrangement.

Now throw into the mix a cute redhead and I might reconsider!
That was my point ! I also would prefer a redhead , somewhat like the one I had back in the 70s lol.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
Curmudgeon, I wonder if it's a male thing to not want to have housemate(s) in older years....are men more set in their ways perhaps, and women more "communal"? Just wondering....
im a 59 single female and i wouldnt be all so keen on having a housemate as i value my privacy also - i had a female housemate years ago and found it annoying - she was forever going into my drawers and borrowing stockings or anything else she needed - i also had a male housemate which did work out for the better since he never borrowed my clothing LOL - all in all i would prefer to live alone -[/quote]

Nah! It's probably that most of us had wives and that cured us of ever wanting a "roommate" again!

See? Even you found another woman in the house annoying.

But seriously, I think being set in our ways may be a factor as well as a certain genetic sense of and desire and tolerance for independence In the olden days, men were the hunters and explorers - both often solo pursuits. A "man and his dog" got along quite well without another in the mix.

Then again, I could be totally wrong.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 AM

We can all dream , now can,t we..... There IS in reality a lot to be said about being set in our ways. Sometimes, just maybe, with lots of luck , a person can come along out of no where, and our wishes can come true ! I guess at 70 , I still am a romantic at heart.,

Old 10-20-2011, 11:18 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Another slant from the "female" perspective

I think women, in general, are more open to housemates.

I also think women, those who have lived in upper class areas or middle upper may find themselves unable to afford or may not want to be alone.

These women are not moving to an apartment complex.

For one I know, she was widowed. After a long hard fought battle, her husband passed away. Her 2 children went to college and had gotten married. She was all alone but didn't want to move. She looked for women in like minded situations and found them! I heard she is doing much better these days (emotionally).

Her home is probably around 4500 SF. She is 56 years old.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
As long as people are having fun we needn't worry. c-d is my favorite general entertainment site on the internet. This is the place where we can discuss everything. This is truly a forum in the best sense of the word.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
i am sure ,taking on a room mate would get quite crowded, especially if She was attractive.....You never know, I may be looking sooner than I think !.
Or your Dear Wife already has scoped out YOUR replacement (as soon as you get that house done...)

RE: not roomates, but...

Men vs, Women... in my research of senior housing co-ops, the guys were initially pretty reluctant, but once settled often commented... "This is the best place for this season, I'm very glad I was coerced (forced) to make the choice, I love it here !."

I'm sure it is an individual thing, and I HIGHLY value silence and time alone.
If I can completely separate areas (guest house / RV / barn apartment) it would be best, I could use some help around the joint (farm). I have also considered roomates in my daylight basement with full living space on each floor. That would be a real stretch for me (radio / tv / 'banging around' noise).

ZONING SFR (Single Family Residential); Ironically, most building departments I have checked will allow ONE family unit (i.e. married / blood) OR 6 unrelated persons living together. Hello communes! Bring out the tie dyed T-shirts and 'flower power' head bands. (I'll provide theVW's )

Old 10-20-2011, 12:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
it means the difference between getting by, or enjoying your golden years. if the housemate is good it can be great. if its a thug or rip off artist, it can be a trip to hell.
the law pertaining to shared housing is different than the law pertaining to rental property. your spare bedroom is not rental property.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
it means the difference between getting by, or enjoying your golden years. if the housemate is good it can be great. if its a thug or rip off artist, it can be a trip to hell.
the law pertaining to shared housing is different than the law pertaining to rental property. your spare bedroom is not rental property.
Be it rental, or roommate, its much harder to get them out then to get them in.I think that would be the scary part, things change and not only for the good.
I had a roommate when I was 29 and single, he was a slob, played crazy music, and would bring home questionable girls late at night. It was a nite mare.
I don't see any difference young or old. I will bet the guy that moved in with me is still a slob, plays crazy music, and who knows what he may drag in late at night, even today. Back then I was Glad I got him out after 6 months, don't remember how I did it actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement