U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 07:05 PM

19,917 posts, read 18,928,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
OT: (Sort of). My 80yo aunt lived in subsidized Senior Apts. Her rent was ~$17/month (late 1980- mid 1990's) went up and down a dollar or two a year. The socal worker in her complex called me one day to tell me my aunt could not pay her rent, My aunt said she was out of money. I know she had enought money from her SS check, to pay her rent. Told SW i would look into it. That night went over to her apt. and found out my aunt had run out of checks in her check book. She had cash to pay rent, but that was "her" money. I don't think she ever understood checking acounts was her money also, . Got new book of check out of her closet, and she was then able to pay the rent.
Thank goodness for social workers and good relatives like you!!

I hope you find the perfect spot, and soon, and it's everything you want.

Thank you, Curmudgeon, those are very nice thoughts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:50 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,563,565 times
Many of you middle class and upper class are complaining about being near subsidized housing. Perhaps you are right. Yet, you have many choices to avoid that situation by living in a gated community or an area of exclusive high end estates. Be careful because in some situations, you may have the money but not the breeding or family and will be ostracized.

Some particular type of wealthy housing may even refuse you entry as in the coop housing, common in NYC. There you to apply to a committee to be admitted as a resident and a co-owner in the coop. You may have the money but again lack the provenance of family and breeding. I would not blame a member of such coop, if they would also oppose the residency of the poor breed, the drug addicts, the prostitutes and the undeducated who made their wealth in the circus of the media and sports. However, some of you would accept them as neighbors because you have a fawning adulation of these performers and believing money forgives all sins and covers all defects, which of course it does not; nor does lack of money creates more sins and is result of defects.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-15-2011 at 08:19 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 08:07 PM

Back to the subject:

One of the most important and prevalent locations of Senior housing, subsidized and not, is in the area of major hospitals. Hospitals also have associated medical clinics and practices in the vicinity. Senior need more medical care and easy and quick access is very important.

That is why in looking at subsidized senior housing, I look more closely to the areas near hospitals. Hospitals location, more so in the urban cities, also have good public transit access. If one could also find a good walkable neighborhood with basic groceries and stores--then a senior would have more of an ideal location.

I have found one good location in Denver. It is the old small city of Englewood. It has a major Tier I hospital which is Swedish and many well regarded clinics nearby. It is also near excellent public bus and rail transit. Grocery Stores are nearby and a Walmart.

Englewood is the home of the first Transit Oriented Community (TOD) that was built in Denver along a new rail station on the site of a very the very large mall of the past, Cinderella City. It includes many type of housing, the city center and a library. The City is very dense and small so all is walkable, yet, there is also a free shuttle that runs from the rail station past many senior complexes to the hospital. There is a senior center, right across the street from two large high rise subsidized housing with King Soopers(Krogers) Grocery, across the other side. There are many senior housing, subsidized, lower cost and some high end senior communities.

Englewood is also contiquously connected to the southern neighborhoods of Denver with many parks and excellent well established housing. All of Denver is easily reached from this area with the connecting bus and rail system. For those who find this interesting, it is centered at Hampden and Broadway. It is just an example of a good place for senior to live and have it all. You would not need a car living in this area. This is one of the area that I am focusing on, if I have a need.

This is a link to the Englewood Housing Authority which will give you some picture of their subsidized housing, under their authority
http://englewoodhousing.homestead.com/Index.html

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-15-2011 at 08:37 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 09:15 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,923,408 times
Good thread, very helpful and glad to see you around again Gene.

Nearly every senior in my small upstate NY city live in these new downtown subsidized high rises particularly if they are single. They're restricted to over 62 or disabled and the 30% includes basic utilities. I'm told the waiting list is about a year and nearly all are long time local residents of the area. I have my eye on them if the need arises though I'm not gung ho about the snow. There are many fewer options that would be suitable for anyone in this age group even with a higher income and there are other housing complexes for families with kids.

I'm curious Gene why you're not settled on the Rochester venue since you're familiar with it? Better hospitals there than here where people stay mostly to be near friends and family.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 PM

291 posts, read 410,399 times
Default Long-winded Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
1. Good thread, very helpful and glad to see you around again Gene.

2. I'm curious Gene why you're not settled on the Rochester venue since you're familiar with it? Better hospitals there than here where people stay mostly to be near friends and family.
1. Thank you. People sometimes assume that someone who starts a thread is a poor lost soul that needs to be advised, consoled, chastised, etc. My motivation here was to simply get people to share their knowledge and experiences relating to the place of subsidized housing in the context of retirement. Notice I didn't say "retirement planning" - nobody should plan on being poor in their "old age". I am using the term "retirement" in a rather nontraditional way. I do not believe I am alone in finding myself in a situation I had never anticipated. Since I loved the kind of work I used to do (computer programming), I really didn't think I ever would retire and that I'd be creating software until the day I dropped dead. For geeks like me computing isn't just a job or a career, it's a way of life. The fact that I was paid to do it was was nice because it allowed me to buy the books, hardware and software required to keep my skills current with the state-of-the-art. I did not foresee the implosion of the tech bubble and the massive outsourcing of professional jobs or the medical consequences (and associated expenses) of working in an inherently stressful occupation that only became increasingly stressful as company after company disappeared from under my feet. I also did not anticipate the Great Recession and an environment in which I was, for all practical purposes, unemployable. So the last few years have been a rather desperate holding action until I could start receiving "early retirement" social security (even if that means taking a painful 25% cut in benefits). So I guess that makes me "retired". Since the age at which you can get early retirement social security (62) coincides with the age at which HUD classifies you as "elderly" I have inadvertantly morphed into a "low-income senior" ostensibly qualified for subsidized housing. I only mention these biographical details because I don't believe my situation is unique and may, in fact, apply to a substantial number of people. That is my intended "audiance". That is also why I have minimal patience with posters who want to rant on about politics and policies ad infinitum. This is the Retirement Forum. I'd assumed that anyone reading or posting here would understand that the focus is naturally on low-income senior subsidized housing. In one of the above posts someone equates "senior" with being nursing home material. No! It just means you're at least 62 years old - that's all. Someone else talks about how hard it is to find out which projects are for seniors. I invite them to visit the site I mentioned in the IP:

Affordable Housing | Low Income Housing | PublicHousing.com

For any particular city the facility listings are explicitely designated as "family", "disabled", "elderly" or various combinations of those catgories.

This site lists only "elderly" or "elderly/disabled" facilities":

senior living |assisted living communities|senior homes|home care

So, can we forget about the "subsidized housing means crack-heads in your back yard" crap and stay focused on issues relevant to a Retirement Forum? Please?

2. Yes, Rochester was my first choice. Check out these places:

Charlotte Harbortown Homes

Andrews Terrace

Not exactly what you'd call "poor/old folks homes". They both have available units (as in no waiting list). These were the first ones I jumped on and have received application forms for. But there's a problem. The web sites may mention a credit check as part of the application process but don't go into detail. The application forms go into excruciating detail and, believe you me, your credit history better be squeaky clean if you want to live in places like these. Mine isn't. That's the reason I don't mind sharing these finds. I could never get into these places but maybe there's someone out there that wants to and could.

All morning I've been Googling "no credit check" but I've only confirmed the near hopelessness of my situation. It's going to take a lot of work to make this work.

Last edited by SelflessGene; 10-16-2011 at 01:20 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 01:17 PM

Default IDs And Criminal History Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The issue isn't (likely to be) the ID itself.
The issue is far more likely to be status as a resident of the state...
which is as likely to be helping with the subsidy as the Feds are.
Newenglandgirl is right. I've talked to several places in other states that have said my Florida ID is just fine, coming straight from Florida is just fine too. This place in Detroit is the only one where I've run into an ID problem. They said they have accepted tenants from other states but when I asked them how they handled the Catch-22 state ID requirement they couldn't remember.

Hey, here's a whole new problem: Now that I've got the application forms for the two facilities in Rochester mentioned in my previous post I see that one says when applying from out of state your current local cop shop can do the criminal background check you need to provide but the other one requires that you get one from the Rochester cop shop. This needs to be done in person since you need to prove who you are to the cops before they'll give you your own report. (Well, I can't get into this place anyway.) Just goes to show, though, how applying from out-of-state can get out-of-hand.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:28 PM

28,560 posts, read 62,337,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
The web sites may mention a credit check as part of the application process but don't go into detail.
The application forms go into excruciating detail and, believe you me, your credit history better be squeaky clean if you want to live in places like these. Mine isn't... I could never get into these places but maybe there's someone out there that wants to and could.
Meh.
Shoot for the moon.

Quote:
All morning I've been Googling "no credit check" but I've only confirmed the near hopelessness of my situation.
It's going to take a lot of work to make this work.
Like when you were 18 looking at colleges... these are your "safe schools".
Apply to the others anyway.

Don't assume too much before you've been rejected
and don't volunteer any information which isn't actually on your credit reports.

Do you have a current copy of your actual reports ?
And have you been to the FICO site for your actual score number yet?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:13 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,923,408 times
Gene, you give up too easily. Write a note with your Rochester applications explaining that that's your hometown and you desire to move back for your golden years. You could also mention the reason your credit report is not up to par is because of becoming defunct in your youth oriented field. Add some references from credible people and a copy of the Fl background check in spite of them asking for a NY one. (If you're handsome add a picture)

I certainly agree with you about not planning on being in a position of impending trepedation in old age. I thought I had everything covered ten ways to sunday having built up a small empire from nothing but hard work. Guess the universe thought I needed to retain my edge by being on the edge. Divorce was what got me. I threw him out because money sometimes attracts drugs and women seeking the goose that laid the golden egg (she didn't realize I was the goose). Then the court arguement entailed him having ruined his health from his bad habits and needing all the money, which he got. Too ironic.

Don't you think it's hysterical we're now considered elderly? My first check comes next February.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:30 PM

SelflessGene,

You are getting me upset and confused because the pictures you have given us about the senior housing in Rochester makes me want to move back to WNY. I have been away for so many years--I first left over 40 years ago--you are reminding me of a nice looking area of my youth. Ah, I think I will go back to visit in December--that should cure me of wanting to go back.

There are many senior housing in Denver. So, I can give more pictures of a few in Lakewood Colorado to give readers idea of subsidized senior housing and it is not all old and decayed:

Residences at Creekside (http://www.mwhsolutions.org/creekside.htm - broken link)

Metro West Housing Solutions (http://www.mwhsolutions.org/willowglen.htm - broken link)

Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you have a current copy of your actual reports ?
And have you been to the FICO site for your actual score number yet?
"Yes" on both counts . It's not a pretty sight.

You're right in one sense though. Trying to find out if a particular complex does a credit check on the web is a non-starter. There are places right here in this town with signs out front proclaiming "no credit check - 1st month rent free". Of course these are not income-based projects and charge rents that are out of my range. (Besides I desperately want to get out of this town.) Point is, I'm sure that if they have web sites, this information is not advertised on the site.

So trying to locate places I can actually afford that do not do credit checks is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I'm being too selective.

The type of place I'm looking for is a big project in a big city that has lost alot of population and that, although they do a credit check, are primarily interested in whether you've ever skipped out on a lease or a utility bill and couldn't care less about student loans, credit cards or anything else. They are not as interested in upholding high ethical standards in their tenants as they are in making money. And, of course, in HUD income-based situations they're going to get most of their money from the government, not the tenant. (This is why they somtimes offer interim $0 rent arragements to people who are going to start getting that good old guaranteed social security at some time in the near future. In the meantime they still collect the HUD reimbursement though the tenant is paying nothing.)

This is the case with the facility in Detroit that I was raving about earlier in the thread. Problem is, this is also the place that demands a Michigan photo ID - not as proof of residency but simply because whoever wrote the rules at the management company was asleep at the wheel. If you can rent a place for one week in Michigan and get a state ID you can then apply to the project. But then if you're denied for whatever reason, you're a long way from home.

So now I'm looking for facilities that meet the above criteria but don't include this moronic Catch-22.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement