U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 AM

895 posts, read 1,332,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I don't know how versatile you are, or how low your SS check is, but you could find apartments in the $300-$400 range in the small towns of the lower midwest and south. These generally don't require a subsidy of any kind, nor the bureaucracy that goes with it.

Some assume the high rents in the large urban centers on the coasts, are the same nationwide, and that's not the case.

If you were considering the adjustment of moving to a foreign country, the relocation to a small town in the U S should be less of a challenge. At least there's no language barrier.
A problem I found with small towns involved medical insurance in particular. Finding a medicare advantage plan that had a reasonable premium was not doable and the ones that did exist had medical practices that were not taking any new patients. Also, other costs often were high - water/sewer/trash for one; less competition that affected all retail costs; many small towns with affordable costs are also places that are dying which ultimately will further reduce local services/options/costs. Now, I am basing this on anecdotal for the most part so this could have just been my experience in one itsy bitsy teensy weensie town......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
i guess that depdns on where you live;really. Perhpas trhe fastest growing retiremnt areas and eve for mnay rich not retired in Texas are alot of small towns. Especailly one near larger towns. I can remember;for example when : fredericksburg texas was a old small dyig toen as late as 1979 with mostly boarded up windows i town. itschnaged alot since then. Mnay small toens have and i suspect more will follow as more people retire and otehr want a place outside the cities.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 AM

291 posts, read 410,004 times
Default Some Things Just Can't Be Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
1. Gene, you give up too easily. Write a note with your Rochester applications explaining that that's your hometown and you desire to move back for your golden years. You could also mention the reason your credit report is not up to par is because of becoming defunct in your youth oriented field. Add some references from credible people and a copy of the Fl background check in spite of them asking for a NY one.

2. Don't you think it's hysterical we're now considered elderly? My first check comes next February.
1. Who said anything about giving up? I said I just need to work harder.

As for the sob story explanatory letter you're suggesting - I just don't think it would work in my case. As was made clear to me by one of the posters who should know, they want a credit report partly because if they turn you down and you appeal on grounds of descrimination they have objective evidence to support their decision.

As far as the criminal background check, I'd assumed they would do their own nationwide check. After all, since you're coming from another state it stands to reason that you're probably going to have a clean record in Rochester. If you've commited any crimes in the places you've lived for the last sixtytwo years they wouldn't know. I've gotten my report here in Florida from the local cop shop. It confirms that I have no arrest record in this county. (I guess I could be an axe murderer somewhere else.) Again, just one more less-than-brilliant arbitrary requirement.

2. They can call me "senile" if they want - just as long as they give me those subsidized rents. As far as early retirement social security is concerned, I think most people understand by now that this has nothing to do with being too old to work so much as providing financial relief for members of the discarded middle class. I feel sorry for the ones who are too young to be considered "elderly" but will probably never work again in their lifetimes.

I'm counting the days until February 15th of 2012 - think I'll throw an "elderly" party with a live band and plenty of beer.

Last edited by SelflessGene; 10-17-2011 at 09:31 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 AM

Default Infectious Homesickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You are getting me upset and confused because the pictures you have given us about the senior housing in Rochester makes me want to move back to WNY.
Rochester may have lost alot of it's industry and some of it's population but it's not exactly falling to ruin. I went back a few years ago and it actually looks better than when I grew up there. Problem is, it may just be too upscale. Even the subsidized housing is upscale. That's the kind of place it is. In the Sixties, when things were booming, Monroe was one of the richest counties in the state.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
A problem I found with small towns involved medical insurance in particular...
More to the point: How much subsidized housing are you likely to find in a small town? Small cities, sure, but small towns?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
There are two part to section 8 ;one rural and one urban based from what I at read their site. You might be surprised now much section 8 there is in rural areas.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:16 AM

8,618 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
More to the point: How much subsidized housing are you likely to find in a small town? Small cities, sure, but small towns?
I live in a "small town" and this thread got me curious enough to check out subsidized housing in my area. Mostly it seems to be not very much. We DO have plenty of nursing homes and assisted living complexes but not that many plain ol' low income housing for seniors. A couple of apt. complexes. I found out I make too much money to live there though. That was kind of a shock to me and it's only a few hundred dollars a year "too much". We have MORE than our share of 55+ mobile home parks but their lot rents are outrageous. I couldn't afford that on top of a mortgage payment. Guess I'll stay where I'm at for a long while to come.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:32 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,552,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I live in a "small town" and this thread got me curious enough to check out subsidized housing in my area. Mostly it seems to be not very much. We DO have plenty of nursing homes and assisted living complexes but not that many plain ol' low income housing for seniors. A couple of apt. complexes. I found out I make too much money to live there though. That was kind of a shock to me and it's only a few hundred dollars a year "too much". We have MORE than our share of 55+ mobile home parks but their lot rents are outrageous. I couldn't afford that on top of a mortgage payment. Guess I'll stay where I'm at for a long while to come.
Do not make the quick assumption that you do not qualify. These qualifications are based on multiples of the federal poverty levels and there is income that can be excluded to cover certain expenses. In addition the poverty levels are adjusted yearly.

Livecontent

Old 10-17-2011, 11:46 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,552,001 times
One of the big issues I have with many of these subsidized housing rentals, or just many rentals, is that there are no washer/dryers machines or hookups in the individual units. There is only washer/dryers that are for common use.

I have not rented for about 32 yrs. and I like to have my own washer/dryer. I do not have the patience/energy, and I have difficulty walking, to go down the hall and for my laundry. I have only gone to a laundromat rarely when I traveled. I have had enough of laundry rooms in college and the army and as a renter. In addition, I am allergic to cats and cat hair gets stuck in these machines.

I do many other tasks when I do laundry and it is convenient to have it in my home. I know you can buy these mini-washer/dryers and hook them to the sink. They seem just too small for my big laundry. Most subsidized units are small and there not much room, to be moving machines.

I assume that some newer subsidized and other apartments have washer/dryer hookups in the units. That will be the ones that I want. However, I bet the demand would be much greater for the new subsidized units.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 AM

19,848 posts, read 18,874,270 times
There is subsidized housing in small towns too.

When your application gets near the top of the waiting list they do a CORI on you and they check your bank accounts and assets. That's about it. The hardest part is the long wait to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement