U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:30 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,548,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What I would like to know is if the requirement is for a driver's license, or for any form of a photo ID. There are many, many seniors who gave up driving and did/do not maintain a driver's license, and many who never drove at all. How could they require only that for an ID? There's got to be some other form they will accept. I have a photo ID for where I teach, and I have one for BJ's (equivalent of Costco) membership. There has to be some way of getting a more official picture ID--anyone know?--for instance, could you get a Costco ID in the state you want to move to, without living there yet? Anything at all besides a driver's license? How about a notarized copy of your passport?
The Motor Vehicle Department in Colorado issues a photo ID, for those who do not drive and those who give up their licenses I would suspect that other States do the same.

I would never take a Costco card for an ID or any other merchant generated card. I even have problems with the State's ability to verify identity with a drivers license. That is one reason we need a National ID program. Please do not give me all that privacy issues nonsense and the ideas of a police state--a good ID is important.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The Motor Vehicle Department in Colorado issues a photo ID, for those who do not drive and those who give up their licenses I would suspect that other States do the same.

I would never take a Costco card for an ID or any other merchant generated card. I even have problems with the State's ability to verify identity with a drivers license. That is one reason we need a National ID program. Please do not give me all that privacy issues nonsense and the ideas of a police state--a good ID is important.

Livecontent
I agree. What about the idea of getting a passport professionally copied and having it notarized and using that in his application? A long shot, but...

Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I agree. What about the idea of getting a passport professionally copied and having it notarized and using that in his application? A long shot, but...
I have seen incompetent and stupid people notarize documents at government organization, I have worked, and it was done without verification of identity. That is another sloppy part of the system that needs to be changed.

How would a notary make a determination of the authenticity of any document, especially a copy of a Passport--they do not have that capacity. A copy would mean nothing even with a notary. All a notary says is that they were present, witnessed and "verified" your identity when you signed a document.

All my financial trading requires a signature guarantee by a bank or trade officer. A notary is considered insufficient mainly because they know many notary authority is given to most anybody; and that a signature guarantee comes with a medallion insurance policy of identity, or any other such guarantor.

Ask want they want and give it-very simply. All these programs want is a copy of something to show that they did apply the regulations to the applicant as most social programs require citizenship or being a legal alien.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-20-2011 at 07:46 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,588,610 times
Quote:
What about the idea of getting a passport professionally copied and having it notarized and using that in his application? A long shot, but...
I don't believe a passport can be notarized. A public notary can only notarize a signature that is signed in front of him/her and the signer must possess a state-issued ID. You can have a certified copy of your passport, however, from Dept of State.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Looking for a decent credit score for people seeking subsidized housing might be looking for a needle in a haystack. I am sure they are only looking for people who can and will pay their portion of the rent obligation.
What I learned from the many tax credit and subsidized housing communities in CA and PNW is that people with low credit score are required to pay larger security deposit (usually double.) That fact was mentioned during the first contact we had with every community.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
Fortunately HUD's definition of "elderly" is 62 and over - the same age at which you can start receiving early social security and thereby demonstate a low fixed income but also one that is guaranteed.
It's actually 55 and older.

"HUD has determined that the dwelling is specifically designed for and occupied by elderly persons under a Federal, State or local government program or
It is occupied solely by persons who are 62 or older or
It houses at least one person who is 55 or older in at least 80 percent of the occupied units, and adheres to a policy that demonstrates intent to house persons who are 55 or older."

Senior Housing - HUD

"This rule implements the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995 (HOPA). HOPA amended the requirements for qualification for the housing for persons who are 55 years of age or older portion of the ‘‘housing for older persons’’ exemption established in the Fair Housing Act. This rule updates HUD’s regulations to reflect the changes made by HOPA. EFFECTIVE DATE: May 3, 1999"

http://hud.gov/offices/fheo/library/hopa_final.pdf

Old 10-20-2011, 09:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

Ask want they want and give it-very simply. All these programs want is a copy of something to show that they did apply the regulations to the applicant as most social programs require citizenship or being a legal alien.

Livecontent
Well certainly, I agree...I was responding to SG's apparent dilemma of wanting to apply for subsidized housing in a state very far away from where he is now, with no apparent way of complying with the requirement to show a Michigan driver's license. My question is, what kind of photo ID could he quickly obtain in place of a driver's license that the housing authority or complex would accept. If they demand a photo ID in the way of a license, and he cannot get there (to Michigan) without first having a residence there, he is out of luck. It would appear that this particular housing complex assumes that all who would be applying for a unit is already a state resident.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Well certainly, I agree...I was responding to SG's apparent dilemma of wanting to apply for subsidized housing in a state very far away from where he is now, with no apparent way of complying with the requirement to show a Michigan driver's license. My question is, what kind of photo ID could he quickly obtain in place of a driver's license that the housing authority or complex would accept. If they demand a photo ID in the way of a license, and he cannot get there (to Michigan) without first having a residence there, he is out of luck. It would appear that this particular housing complex assumes that all who would be applying for a unit is already a state resident.
Well, that is their requirement. If you think about it, there may be good reasoning behind that rule. Many subsidized housing tries to provide for its own local people. It may be legal or not legal, depends on the housing. However, the de facto situation is they can control the applicants to local residents by requiring a local ID, that can be only obtained by being a resident of the area. States and Cities do not look favorable on people moving to their State and then immediately asking for public assistance.

Whatever the issue, the point is the authorities control the situation. Give them what they want or look elsewhere. You cannot fight it because they can come up with many ways to deny you housing, if you make trouble. A low income individual, especially with a bad credit history, is not in a position to argue or demand or complain.

You can also move to an area where you want to be considered for subsidized housing, rent and get your ID. You can even rent and pay full rent at a specific subsidized housing for a time, if there is a place. Behave yourself; established residency and then ask and apply to have your unit converted to subsidized status. It is like working a temp job, trying to get a full time job by proving yourself.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-20-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 10:06 AM

291 posts, read 409,861 times
Default A Belated Clarification

Quote:
What I would like to know is if the requirement is for a driver's license, or for any form of a photo ID.
Any confusion regarding photo IDs is exclusively my fault. I should have cleared this up long ago.

The kind of photo ID the folks in Detroit were demanding is a state-issued photo ID. This is basically a driver's license that doesn't allow you to drive. You get these from the local Motor Vehicle Department and all the procedures are the same as for a driver's license with that one limitation. (I believe this is true of all states.) It is equivalent to a driver's license in the sense that it is the preferred and universally-recognized form of photo ID. It's value lies in that, like an actual driver's license, it is recorded in the state's database and is considered "official". If a cop demands proof of identity (which is legal for them to do), this is what they want to see if you don't have a driver's license. They can "run it" just like a driver's license to see if it's phony or not and whether you're a wanted serial killer, terrorist or dead-beat dad.

Normally it doesn't matter what state it's from. It's only in this silly business in Detroit that they required that it be a Michigan state-issued ID. This is something the management company insists upon and may just be due to lack of imagination on the part of whoever wrote the rules. After all, isn't everybody leaving Michigan? Who would actually want to come to the state?

Once again, sorry for the easily-avoidable confusion, but for a while there I was distracted by less pertinent/productive matters. I'll try harder to stay on top of these things before they snowball.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:18 AM

291 posts, read 409,861 times
Default Non-negotiable Inscrutable Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
SelflessGene, If you are still interested in the housing in Detroit, I would call them back.
We had a number of phone conversations regarding this matter. I talked to a supervisor who went and checked with someone even higher up and they won't budge on this. This appears to be an unusual policy so I'm not going to worry about it too much. Plenty of other places to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement