U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 12:55 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,765,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
I think most folks would just dismiss Detroit out of hand.
Yes, I would have dismissed Detroit out of hand, but I'm glad to hear there is a renaissance of sorts going on there, at least for the downtown area. What a dismal and depressing picture Detroit has been up to now - block after block of abandoned and decaying housing, prompting the city to start a program of wholesale bulldozing! I wonder how that's coming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 01:41 PM

14,275 posts, read 44,987,205 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's right on State Street. I was looking at satellite photos and was really impressed with the beautiful old buildings, the parks, the avenues. Reminds me of NYC before the advent of the glass boxes. I could really get into a retro state of mind.

As far as race: I lived for a few years in Haiti, somtimes in places where a white person was about as common as a unicorn. I'm not concerned about black seniors in the building of course but I'm not so stupid to think that the streets won't be a different matter.

Thank you very much for the encouraging words. I think most folks would just dismiss Detroit out of hand.
I hope this works out for you, do give some clear-eyed, reality based consideration to just how harsh the winter there is, compared to whatever southern location you are in now.

Likewise, with clear eyes and no wishful thinking, consider that there will be people there who will want to do you harm simply because you are white. If you maintain good situational awareness, and use some discretion as to where you go and when, you will probably be fine.

I can offer you the old Russian proverb: "There is no bad weather, there is just inadequate clothing"

Detroit is what it is. For someone who wants a cheap place to live, does not need a job, and is OK with a long, harsh winter, it could be a good choice.

Good luck in any case. Maybe you will be as good for Detroit as it is for you. Time will tell.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:31 PM

291 posts, read 410,332 times
Default Fish Out Of Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
... do give some clear-eyed, reality based consideration to just how harsh the winter there is, compared to whatever southern location you are in now.
I was born and grew up in Rochester, NY. Later I lived in Canada for a few years, spending winters in wood-heated log cabins in northern Ontario and Quebec. Those were the happiest days of my life. In fact, one of the nice things about Detroit is that Canada is just across the river.

I live in Florida now and dream of once again seeing snow falling from the sky.

Your other points are well-taken. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
... I would love to see my hometown restored to it's former glory.
I'll do what I can.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Default Programs and Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
... I will check out Section 202 which actually is for elderly housing. Section 811 is for disability housing. I never paid much attention to these sections as they are really addressing monies given to agencies to support these programs but perhaps I need to look further. I have learned that sometimes there are little known rules that can be to my advantage.

I have been to Detroit, many years ago before the bigger current problems of that city--and it was bad enough. I grew up near Buffalo--similar in decay but just a smaller city. I would never, ever, go back. Denver is a much nicer city. I wish you luck.
Yeah, I see you're way ahead of me on the research. It's just that Section 8 has almost become synonymous with subsidized housing and is what you see in all the listings. I hadn't realized that "elderly" is just a subcategory of Section 8 and Section 202 is actually more relevant until I read the explanation at this url:

Boston Rehab Boston, MA 02115 Independent Living

This is decribing a particular facility in Boston but it goes into fine detail about disability-related programs.

Thing is, the big projects are in the Northeast and Midwest - states that have a long history of social welfare. And this is where the vacancies are as the big cities continue to lose population. If I had my 'druthers I'd return to Rochester (my home town) but I'd take Buffalo in a NY minute. In general, it seems the further south and west you go, the fewer opprotunities you find. Accept for this place:

Bannock Arms

This cracks me up. A subsidized high-rise in Boise, Idaho? Well, there are exceptions...

Old 10-14-2011, 03:31 PM

Default Curiosity Killed The Cat, Complacency Killed The Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Low scores can decidedly be the result of life happening to you when you've made other plans. But the reality is, it can also be the end result of bad or inadequate planning in the first place.
Exactly. And without the facts you don't know which it is.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:12 PM

419 posts, read 658,792 times
Default inaccurate statements

It's amazing to me how some people post inaccurate information just to make a statement. I for one, will not post on a thread if I do not have any knowledge of a topic. I wish others would follow suit.

Selfless Gene, no one in Detroit will target you simply because you are "white". This is not the 1960's. Hard working blacks & whites work together to make the City a better place to live. The thugs & criminals who have helped destroy the City do not discriminate. If you are dealing drugs or in the wrong place at the wrong time then you will be vulnerable to crime no matter what your color.

Rents in downtown Detroit are not cheap. The desirable restored neighborhood of Corktown (the oldest neighborhood in Detroit dating back to the early 1800's) has priced many would be residents out. Lafayette Park is also very desirable and not cheap. The highrises also command a higher price tag for rents. Professional singles, professional marrieds with children & empty nesters own the Mies van der Rohe townhouses in Lafayette Park. While the townhouses are reasonable in price, the property taxes and H.O.A. fees are high. Here is an article about those townhouses: Living With Mies - NYTimes.com. Highrises along the Detroit River also are not cheap to rent.

Detroit is on an upswing after decades of "white flight", corrupt politicians, moving the factories out of the city to the suburbs and then the final downfall of the auto industry. In addition, Detroit was always a huge music venue and it didn't help when "Motown" pulled up stakes. By the way, middle class blacks also fled the City in recent years. Uncontrolled crime in neighborhoods in outlying areas from downtown being the biggest reason for the flight.

Detroit got a lift from the 2006 Super Bowl. They have been working hard to diversify their industries. Some high tech is moving in as well as the motion picture industry. Even in this economy, investor money has been available to restore old buildings and make improvements. Only time will tell if they can keep the momentum going.

Yes, Detroit does have cold winters. That is one statement that is correct.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:18 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
Yeah, I see you're way ahead of me on the research. It's just that Section 8 has almost become synonymous with subsidized housing and is what you see in all the listings. I hadn't realized that "elderly" is just a subcategory of Section 8 and Section 202 is actually more relevant until I read the explanation at this url:

Boston Rehab Boston, MA 02115 Independent Living

This is decribing a particular facility in Boston but it goes into fine detail about disability-related programs.

Thing is, the big projects are in the Northeast and Midwest - states that have a long history of social welfare. And this is where the vacancies are as the big cities continue to lose population. If I had my 'druthers I'd return to Rochester (my home town) but I'd take Buffalo in a NY minute. In general, it seems the further south and west you go, the fewer opprotunities you find. Accept for this place:

Bannock Arms

This cracks me up. A subsidized high-rise in Boise, Idaho? Well, there are exceptions...
We have something in common, as we are both from upstate New York! I still would never go back. I cannot take the cold and wet with my health problems. The cities of upstate and western New York have collapsed in decay and neglect. New York is a one city state--New York City, and the powers do not care about the rest of the State.

I think you are very wrong, there are many subsidized housing all over the country. Just check that link on affordable housing that I gave you. Now I cannot speak much for other areas of the country, but I can speak with some authority on the Denver area--and there are many places.

I been here for about 33 yrs. so my experience is with this area. I have found many well run facilities in good neighborhoods. Surprisingly there are some newer facilities. That is because the area is growing and the need to serve the disadvantaged has grown and to do that, counties have to built new complexes because there are no old buildings to be acquired. In addition, there is a big movement to rebuilt and redevelop and developers are required to set aside subsidized housing for the incentives that they receive.

Denver is very fine place with good racial and ethnic harmony, more so than other cities. The city is becoming very attractive, population is growing, and all neighborhoods are being renewed. Denver was never a city of ghettos and decay, there are just some neighborhoods that are old and need rehabilitation.

What amazes me about this area is the amount of parks, open space and trails in and around the City and the suburbs. That is not even counting the expansive forest, parks and open space of the nearby Rockies.

Denver and most suburbs are very well served by public transit so one can find good walkable neighborhoods where a senior could live without a car. Not owning a car is a big savings for those with low income.

Livecontent

Old 10-14-2011, 10:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,004,474 times
^ Another great post from LiveContent.

And ^ from SCBaker, as well.

I would trust their knowledge and experience more than others' uninformed opinions.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:36 AM

Default Ain't No Landed Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
...no one in Detroit will target you simply because you are "white".

Rents in downtown Detroit are not cheap...
On the first point I agree. Criminals are actually more likely to prey on "their own" people since they provide more opprotunities.

Market value rents are of no concern to me since I am focused exclusively on HUD-subsidized income-based projects. My rent would be 30% of my social security income and whatever the apartment is appraised at for purposes of determining the HUD subsidy would probably remain a mystery. The only variable that really concerns me is what, if any, "amenities" (read "utilities") are included in that basic payment. I've seen several that include heat, gas, ac and sometimes even electricity. I would prefer to live in gentrified areas that include mandated low-income housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement