U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 03:38 PM

12,252 posts, read 17,093,938 times

Advertisements

A list came out yesterday that shows the perspective of what the current college freshman class sees. For example:

They have never "rolled up" a car window!

They have never seen Johnny Carson on TV.

Here's the full list (but, please...put on your reading glasses first!)

Beloit College Mindset List - Education - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 06:34 PM

13,473 posts, read 16,325,477 times
In my former job, I had a series of college and high schools students intern in my organization. I used to have my managers take a look at the updated version of the listing (it is updated annually) for the kids coming in that summer. I used to adjust it for 18 year olds and 21 year olds, so it would be relevant to the kids coming in that summer.

I would discuss this listing during our weekly management staff meeting, and make sure the managers understood the experience level of the folks coming in, to keep things more realistic. I also would meet with the interns, and work with them to be more aware of the experience level of their short term coworkers, because many had only dealt with peers.

These were always interesting discussions, and sometimes pretty entertaining too.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,731,495 times
They are young so we can't expect them to know about things that happened in our generation. They will learn more as time goes on.

I guess those of us near retirement age are now a part of history. How strange is that?

Last edited by Waterlily; 03-14-2008 at 07:03 PM..

Old 08-23-2007, 06:46 AM

153 posts, read 835,766 times
When I first entered the workforce in the mid-60's, there were many things that I had not experienced in life either. However, I did not expect my employer or co-workers to work around me. It was my responsibility to fit into the work-a-day world and adjust accordingly.

I realize that attitudes have changed over the years; however, many employers today are afraid of the incoming younger workers and feel they must baby-sit them; adjust the work environment/benefits, etc. so that the new generation will want to work at their company.

IMHO, I think there is too much baby-sitting and all it achieves is to teach the younger generation that the world revolves around them.

Our company is so paranoid about hiring and keeping new grads, that our recruiters are instructed to "talk the talk, and walk the walk" of a 20+ yr old. That to me is beyond ludicrous.

We have many core employees who have left the company because they are fed up with the double standards. Newbies are given extra paid time off (even before they are eligible); and yet the rest of the staff is called on the carpet if they ask for personal time off.....go figure!

There was a world before any of us were born. When I was growing up I questioned my elders about what life was life for them growing up. I was curious and realized there was a world before me. Many of the younger set today act as though the world was not created until their birth...and anything that occured prior to them arriving is not worth mentioning.

And if they believe that history is unimportant...then throw away the history books, cancel all history classes and let's pretend there never was a "before". This is too scary for me!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:57 PM

10,009 posts, read 9,862,665 times
We in the military cater to the "Nexter Generation" - aka Generation "Y" (after X). I'm tired of it and look forward to leaving it for good in about 1 1/2 yrs. I'll leave them to themselves.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 17,947,197 times
My friend's 18 year olds were stumped by a rotary dial telephone. They needed instruction.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 AM

3,852 posts, read 6,124,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My friend's 18 year olds were stumped by a rotary dial telephone. They needed instruction.
Where has the corner pay phones gone. If you don't own a cell phone your out of luck.lol I guess it is time to throw out my spare old 13 inch black and white television. Can you imagine trying to give a black and white TV with rabbit ears to a 18 yoa today. That sounds like a good idea. Sorry kids.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:48 AM

2,377 posts, read 3,502,413 times
My grandson was perplexed by a hand held can opener... ( he was 16 at the time)!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:35 PM

43,195 posts, read 47,082,143 times
I noted that the fast food places had buttons for every item. I asked the owner one day why;he said becasue they will always under charge rather than learn or look at prices and you lose. He also said most can't make change.What is important changes with every generation.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:11 PM
GLS

1,990 posts, read 3,495,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslady View Post

And if they believe that history is unimportant...then throw away the history books, cancel all history classes and let's pretend there never was a "before". This is too scary for me!
The truly scary aspect is that many educators in today's school systems are actively trying to rewrite the history books to edit and delete factual events that they oppose philosophically. I believe presenting false "revistionist" history to our youth is more destructive than throwing the history books away entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement