U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 02:05 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,624,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Google is your friend... There's tons of info. I studied it for my masters program last yr. Marketing and employment relationship studies will help you.

One thing for sure that is quite different. They (in general) DO NOT want to talk about work in a casual conversation, as old generations were free to do. They often compartmentalize their activities and recreation is high on the list. I made the mistake of asking a Gen Y HR person a 'work-related' question at a company picnic. THAT is a CARDINAL SIN.

I have 2 kids in that gen, and they have a very different work / career ethic... probably appropriate for the current times. "In the gate, 8 for 8" was the old school attitude that most closely matched, BUT is not the same. Gen Y has seen the fickle attitude of employers and they are coping by NOT expecting or desiring career employment.

There appears to be an 'entitlement' attitude, but I'm told I am wrong in thinking so

I encourage you to study, listen and have a 'meeting-of-the-minds', but you will need to do it on their terms (not during a soccer match or their 'other' personal time...) It is also tough to 'meet the minds' via txt... but that is how you have to communicate with them (if you expect a response).
http://www.learningtolearn.sa.edu.au/colleagues/files/links/understandinggeny.pdf (broken link)
What Gen Y Really Wants - TIME
Managing Gen Y in Today
Seriously? I'm a Gen Y'er and I go to college with a bunch of other Gen Y'ers and we talk about education and career all the time. Not sure why you got the idea that it's a cardinal sin amongst all Gen Y'ers from one incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 02:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Seriously? I'm a Gen Y'er and I go to college with a bunch of other Gen Y'ers and we talk about education and career all the time. Not sure why you got the idea that it's a cardinal sin amongst all Gen Y'ers from one incident.
Sorry, I should be more clear... NOT ONE instance (just in general, AND as always YMMV), My kids have warned me to never ask them or their friends of work related issues or career decisions. We have MANY social events with many different Gen Y's, work / career / strategy is lacking as content. Tho I would never claim to be 'all-knowing'.

I also just spent 4 yrs back in college myself, so got a pretty 'full-dose' of Gen Y and others... (amazing how college (and all EDU) has changed in USA, glad I worked and educated many yrs overseas and can't wait to get on the road (air&sea) again. While I had many international school kids in grad program, it was seriously USA edu based... i.e. very traditional and VERY lacking in comprehensive coverage of worldwide social / economic impact. So sad. In-grown tenured profs and EDU administrators are doing a serious disservice to the USA. IMHO...

Old 10-16-2011, 03:07 PM

519 posts, read 702,284 times
I think what is interesting about this age group is their ability to stay in flux-like mercury they are fluid which makes them adaptable to change. I notice that the way they do research, read and interpret is so different from the way we over 50s learned to do these things. This generation is very smart but they don't have a need to learn anything deeply because they have so much information available to them. Instead they can be expert at learning how to attain and use information. Who is to say this is better or worse? We learned based on the tools we had as they research with their tools.

EXCEPT it seems to me (working with mid to high school age girls) that there is a gap in "real life" skills; typically they are used to directions being available and don't always seem to be able to reason their way to conclusions. It could also be that parenting has changed to the point that kids don't have the same need to begin to figure things out for themselves until they are thrust from the loving embrace of their colleges.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:01 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
Yesterday I realized that maybe I'm stuck in a different generation--usually I feel so amazingly young and kinda plugged in.

But not yesterday...I just wrote and published an e-novel and some published friends were telling me that I HAD to tweet on Twitter to market the book and also have a Facebook page for the book and also start a blog and the new media list went on and on...RSS feeds and such.

My head was spinning. Yes, I'm on Facebook with a personal page and on Linked In..but a tweet has not crossed my mind ever.

Guess what? My resistance level shot way up...I don't want to tweet on Twitter...I just don't...now I'm pretty much internet addicted and I've been on a 'puter since the early days of the MAC SE--but texting and tweeting are not on my radar screen. Nor do I want them to be.

Am I being a stubborn old fart? My book's appeal is to an audience of 35 to elder readers, mostly women, I would think. Must I tweet???

(and for all you Baby Boomers out there who are champion texters and tweeters, don't chastise me, I'm not lumping you in with me, okay?)

Old 10-16-2011, 04:15 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,377,799 times
Default OMG... did not read any insult or any intention to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Yay, let's generalize about a whole generation of people and then use those generalizations to hate on them! So much fun!
My two children are from this gen y... intelligent.. OMG imagine with the internet at your finger tips to be able to find anything and everything in any language ... WOW... I have been a computer GEEK since the first Texas Instrument computer... Dos and commands ran things... SOO much harder to run then...

what curmung meant is every generation has its rebellion... yes we all, as teenagers thought our parents were SOOO stupid and ridiculous... All parents become a bit smarter as the teenagers grow up...

You should have seen the things I wore, I protested about and worries I put my mother through at times. Notice more young men are growing their hair real long?? (by the way great memories of long hair )

Circle of life... gotta love it...

Old 10-16-2011, 04:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,377,799 times
Default Well I don't tweet either... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yesterday I realized that maybe I'm stuck in a different generation--usually I feel so amazingly young and kinda plugged in.

But not yesterday...I just wrote and published an e-novel and some published friends were telling me that I HAD to tweet on Twitter to market the book and also have a Facebook page for the book and also start a blog and the new media list went on and on...RSS feeds and such.

My head was spinning. Yes, I'm on Facebook with a personal page and on Linked In..but a tweet has not crossed my mind ever.

Guess what? My resistance level shot way up...I don't want to tweet on Twitter...I just don't...now I'm pretty much internet addicted and I've been on a 'puter since the early days of the MAC SE--but texting and tweeting are not on my radar screen. Nor do I want them to be.

Am I being a stubborn old fart? My book's appeal is to an audience of 35 to elder readers, mostly women, I would think. Must I tweet???

(and for all you Baby Boomers out there who are champion texters and tweeters, don't chastise me, I'm not lumping you in with me, okay?)
Since this is for business purposes, can't you get a niece, nephew or an assistant set these up for you? Sure you would have to get online and post/ write once in a while but just like my facebook... it takes me 15 to 20 mins. and I'm done. I sometimes spend time in CD and sometimes just do not have the time.

Good luck but get assistance to set them up.. can't be too bad but just like I wrote before... don't tweet... didn't say I wouldn't... just need to find a reason why... LOL

Old 10-16-2011, 04:34 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
I guess I'm not yet convinced of the validity of tweeting for my purposes...trying to keep my mind open to options, but I honestly don't know anyone who might want to follow my tweets..I'm just a quiet-writerly type (except on C-D) who can't imagine having anything valid to communicate on Twitter. I mean, what would I say...my book sold another copy today? Who would care??

Old 10-16-2011, 04:49 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile I have 2 children and 10 nieces/nephews in this age group

...plus another 10 extended family all born between 1983 and 1990.

To me, they're a great group actually. I love my kids and their cousins. They're all different but do care about this world and what they are inheriting.

Out of the 12, 7 have already graduated from college and 5 are still in college. One is in her first year of law school. All are very committed to their lines of work.

Two of the 12 are married - only one has a child so far. Most of others are not in relationships - not serious anyway. Two of them already own businesses - one has 15 employees now.

FB and e-mail makes it easy for me to keep in touch with them. Several have friended me. My kids are great about introducing me to the latest technology - my daughter got me a Kindle for Christmas last year; one other year, she got me (and her dad) IPod's. We had so much fun downloading all the music. (I think she was jealous of all the good songs back in the day!)

I feel they have a lot to teach me and I enjoy this group very much actually.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:55 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Cool comments, and interesting. Not fair to group one generation as one big moving mass of sameness. I've always hated being lumped into the very broad "Baby Boomer" niche as though we're all the same. Always thought we should be divided into "inhaled" and "didn't inhale."

Viet Nam sure shaped my history, I'm guessing it was 9/11 for Gen Y?? I worried about nuclear Fallout and the Cold War...they're facing climate change and a big recession and college debt? Again, only guessing...
My daughter was born in 1984. She was a senior in high school when 9/11 happened. Yes, it shaped her. She now lives in NYC a few blocks from Ground Zero.

Recently, we were together and talking about the future - she basically said - I live for today, I enjoy today and I don't worry about tomorrow. When I tried to talk to her more about it, she said - Remember 9/11?

As she matures, this may change but this was from a girl who used to plan her life back in the day.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:25 PM

895 posts, read 1,330,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They grew up with technology available 24/7. It's a big part of their lives.
Things like cell phones, laptops, mobile connectivity at your fingertips have always been there for them. To them, being connected via the internet is what hanging around with your friends are to us older folks. Online is their social avenue.

Not that it's bad; it's just different than how we grew up.
I'm hoping the picture I'll attach will come up - it has kept me laughing for nearly 30 years - a classic generation Y kid on the phone at birth. Honestly, this is this child's picture from the newborn nursery - i have no idea who stuck the phone in his hand but he put it right to his ear. None of my other kids had "accessories" planted on them in the nursery.

Having taken a class in grad school that dealt with generational differences in the work place, I think they classified GEN Y as the group that appeared post 1980, making 2 of my kids gen xers and two gen y'rs. If i were to generalize, i can see differences from my xers and my yers - xer's are supposed to find the baby boomers extremely annoying while y'ers are much more attached to the baby boomer generation/and tend to be more dependent on them. who knows - i love these studies that study generations and lump a few million into one pot.

However, as silly as it sounds, understanding different generations and their idiosyncracies has merit - we tend to get stuck in a mode of operation and often a fresh perspective reminds us that we don't have it all figured out. Rigidity causes a lot of issues in the work place (and yes, of course this class was a human resource class LOL - we really did more than just study generational differences but that was our final project) -

so, if the picture does come through, here's to my little gen y'er who still today is texting/talking on his ipod/iphone/ blackberry whatever while pulling up emails and filling his gas tank waiting for a pizza to be delivered and who calls his mother only when he has free drive time and can talk on his handless connection (yes Matt, I know that is the only time you call )
Attached Thumbnails
What About These Gen Y Kids?-matt-baby-pic-phone-newborn-2011  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement