U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:14 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,586,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Trying to figure out these Gen Y young people, born between 1980-1995...there's something like 80 million of 'em and all they seem to be doing is texting, tweeting...and taking pictures with their Smart Phones...or getting more tattoos.

Who are these "kids"--I'm wanting to understand. What makes them tick??

Here's a run down of the Gen Y members in my life. Some are blood related to me, some are tied to me by heartstrings, and some are shirttail relations:

Education: Three with PhDs and two with post doc. Most have graduate degrees. Some are still in college. None ended the education after high school.

Profession: One is college professor. One is director of an international academic program for a US university. Three live and work in another country. One is working in a string of unrelated blue-collar jobs. One owns a taco truck. Four are lawyers. Six are computer engineers/code writers/whatever that is in computer world. One is scientist. Two are entrepreneurs. Many are in office jobs.

Finance and assets: Several are comfortable financially. Two are financial independent. Two are living from hand to mouth. Some with student loans 5X their salaries and struggle the same way most people do. Three have more than one house. Several are with houses/condos that are worth less than the mortgages. Some live in apartments. Two in shared rooms. Several live at home with parents.

Marital status: Some are married. Most are in or in-between relationships. Some have never been in a relationship. Most are heterosexual; some are homosexual.

Concerns: All have concerns about their present and future in one aspect or another, some even worry about their parents and siblings. One thinks there's nothing in her life that her parents couldn't make or help to make it happen.

Interest: All except one are international travellers. The one who doesn't care for foreign travel does all his journeys via Greyhound bus. Except one, all are tech savvy or tech geeks. The one who isn't, reads physical books and writes letters on paper and with pens, though he rarely bothers to send them. All play online/electronic games, listen to musicians whose names I've never heard, read books that are not interested me one bit, and discuss theories and events that I'm sure would not affect my life one way or another.

Modes of transportation: One owns a custom-order Corvette. Most drive normal cars. One rides a bicycle. Several rely on public transit.

Personality: Some are selfish jerks. Some are vain. Some are shy. Some are more sensitive to other people's feelings than their own. All are intelligent, but most are not wise in matters of the heart (who among us is?)

So there you are, my own experience with Gen Y, who they are, and what makes them tick. Not much different from members of other generations, I would say.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 10-16-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 06:20 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,859,230 times
What a cool collection of interesting people you know--and how well you've portrayed them! I really enjoyed reading your posting...do you write professionally?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
What a cool collection of interesting people you know--and how well you've portrayed them! I really enjoyed reading your posting...do you write professionally?
Thank you, but I'm not a writer. Well, decades ago, in another life and another language, I was. However, the only thing I write nowadays is during the month of November for Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month) and only because my daughter wants us to do it as a mother/daughter fun activity.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:31 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,075 times
They are also called "Echo Boomers", because they are an echo of the baby boom, i.e., they are the children of boomers.

Mine is 31, and he's sitting beside me learning how to play Angry Birds on my smartphone (he's too poor to own one.)

I am at least as technologically savvy in most areas as he is. His music taste is very eclectic, and very different from mine. He's also very political, as many of us were when we were that age.

But I think generalizations don't really work, as they did not with my generation. Some of us were "hippies" or "flower children", or "freaks", but just as many were tax accountants and real estate agents.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:29 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,723,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I'm sorry I snapped. I apologize. I just get frustrated easily with this topic cause I have seen so many hate threads on CD about how my generation is lazy, self-entitled, obsessed with texting, the "dumbing down of society" (you can find that line in this very thread), etc. I just get tired of hearing the same insulting adjectives in regards to a whole group of people, who have nothing in common but the range of years they happen to have been born in.

That said, let me try to explain better where I'm coming from. There's nothing to "understand". The whole "trying to understand" approach is condescending. Gen Y'ers are just as much individuals as the individuals that make up any other generation. We don't all text and tweet all day long. Getting to know people as individuals, not as a "member of a generation" will work out much better for all.
Whoa, I didn't know you from the Gen Y. x) I guess you are not that much older than me?

I am from the Gen. Y and I still converse with people face to face daily. You'll find a lot of people who hates texting and loves texting. I'm one of those where I'm neutral so it doesn't bother me. There's nothing new about us except that we live in the technology world where it's the "fad" and is growing (I'm mostly referring to those who were born after 1995).

Old 10-16-2011, 08:34 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,626,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sorry, I should be more clear... NOT ONE instance (just in general, AND as always YMMV), My kids have warned me to never ask them or their friends of work related issues or career decisions. We have MANY social events with many different Gen Y's, work / career / strategy is lacking as content. Tho I would never claim to be 'all-knowing'.

I also just spent 4 yrs back in college myself, so got a pretty 'full-dose' of Gen Y and others... (amazing how college (and all EDU) has changed in USA, glad I worked and educated many yrs overseas and can't wait to get on the road (air&sea) again. While I had many international school kids in grad program, it was seriously USA edu based... i.e. very traditional and VERY lacking in comprehensive coverage of worldwide social / economic impact. So sad. In-grown tenured profs and EDU administrators are doing a serious disservice to the USA. IMHO...
Okay, but even going to one college doesn't tell you or me about all Gen Y culture. Each college is different. Cities are different from rural areas, and the North is different from the South, and so on and so forth. There are a million cultural factors that go into which questions are deemed acceptable and which questions are deemed unacceptable.

I don't know what YMMV means.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 10-16-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 08:37 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,626,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
Whoa, I didn't know you from the Gen Y. x) I guess you are not that much older than me?

I am from the Gen. Y and I still converse with people face to face daily. You'll find a lot of people who hates texting and loves texting. I'm one of those where I'm neutral so it doesn't bother me. There's nothing new about us except that we live in the technology world where it's the "fad" and is growing (I'm mostly referring to those who were born after 1995).
I hate texting but I go to a school for the deaf so I pretty much accept it's the way people communicate. Texting really is a great invention for the Deaf community because Deaf people don't have to rely on hearing people to make a phone call anymore--they can just communicate directly. (In fact, hearing students aren't allowed to use the phone on campus and are asked to go in a bathroom stall if they absolutely must pick up a phone call.) But like you, I socialize with people face-to-face every day and am not just obsessed with cyberspace. A lot of Gen Y'ers do many things that weren't listed in the OP's post about what we are allegedly obsessed with and limited to. I don't even know where the tattoo comment came from cause I can only count on one hand the number of people I know with tattoos, and not all of them are Gen Y'ers. Most of them are Gen X'ers.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 10-16-2011 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Just going by my own experience I think they are just fine. At my last job, it was my responsibility to train new employees in my department. They always wound up in this age bracket.

My trainees were quick learners, polite to their old lady trainer, smart and didn't mind my calling them "The Whippersnappers." They liked teaching me the latest technology and found my old 2002 cell phone amusing.

Since my department was definitely considered "entry level" as the gateway to many other departments, my trainees worked really hard to learn all they could with their eye on advancing. Without exception, they always did.

They still email me to get together for lunch. I never especially thought of them as being a reflection of a particular age bracket. I don't think people can or should be generalized. I am not crazy about being lumped into a group called "Baby Boomers." We in this age bracket reflect all different types just like the so-called "Gen-Yrs."

Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I don't even know where the tattoo comment came from cause I can only count on one hand the number of people I know with tattoos, and not all of them are Gen Y'ers. Most of them are Gen X'ers.
None of the Gen Y members in my life has tattoos either, but my husband and I, who are definitely early baby boomers, decided to have ourselves tattooed (only a small one for each of us) after we became empty nesters. In Tahiti, no less. Did we think of the act as a celebration that our parenting was done and we didn't need to be role models to our children anymore? I don't remember what we thought then, just that we didn't regret our decision one bit.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:02 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,723,512 times
Quote:
I hate texting but I go to a school for the deaf so I pretty much accept it's the way people communicate. Texting really is a great invention for the Deaf community because Deaf people don't have to rely on hearing people to make a phone call anymore--they can just communicate directly. (In fact, hearing students aren't allowed to use the phone on campus and are asked to go in a bathroom stall if they absolutely must pick up a phone call.) But like you, I socialize with people face-to-face every day and am not just obsessed with cyberspace. A lot of Gen Y'ers do many things that weren't listed in the OP's post about what we are allegedly obsessed with and limited to. I don't even know where the tattoo comment came from cause I can only count on one hand the number of people I know with tattoos, and not all of them are Gen Y'ers. Most of them are Gen X'ers.
Tattoos from the Gen Y'ers? I thought most of them were Gen X'ers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement