U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:40 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,546,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Trying to figure out these Gen Y young people, born between 1980-1995...there's something like 80 million of 'em and all they seem to be doing is texting, tweeting...and taking pictures with their Smart Phones...or getting more tattoos.

Who are these "kids"--I'm wanting to understand. What makes them tick??
Do you talk to people?

I recently used my smart phone to take videos of land I am looking at buying and sent them to friends and family.

I (Despite 8 years in the Marine Corps) have no tattoos.

And I assure you, I do many other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 05:06 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,624,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
Tattoos from the Gen Y'ers? I thought most of them were Gen X'ers.
That's my thinking too.

Quote:
Trying to figure out these Gen Y young people, born between 1980-1995...there's something like 80 million of 'em and all they seem to be doing is texting, tweeting...and taking pictures with their Smart Phones...or getting more tattoos.
Honestly the only Gen Y'ers I can think of that have tattoos are my sister and my girlfriend. Even accounting for people who might have one that I don't know about, that's a small percentage of people. Hardly indicative of Generation Y, let alone something that we ought to "seek to understand". Lol.

BTW Asian Rice, I'm kind of curious how old you thought I was before.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:30 AM

973 posts, read 1,489,093 times
This is a hard thread to answer, but many did a great job as they are very diverse. My children are the early ones, and are all productive members of society and NOT attached to any form of electronic devices mainly because I had no computer at home and they only had video games due to their grandparents buying them the consol. And even with that, time on it was limited, for I could see it would be something that would consume my boys if I let them.

And tying to the above, I really think that how this Y Gen acts is largely dependent upon how they were brought up like in any generation. YES they rebelled and tats, hairstyles, piercings were all ways in the guise of fashion like all generations. They are also not ones to take at face value what is told them, but to question which often leads to total disrespect to those in charge. Many do not know how to act in public as manners thrown out the window as they were never taught at home; and many feel "entitled" to get a grade, but not earn it. But besides this, they are less of "joiners" esp. the boys as they became more insular and unmotived due to the video games and computers. And this I can verify as I have taught this generation and the one before and now the one after. I know this is all a generalization, but this is my observation as I have dealt with thousands of them and have seen the overall changes.

But what I do want to point out again, that since I have taught this generation, I really think that like those born on the cusp of this next one are different from those born earlier, just like those born in the first years of the baby-boom compared to the end. The later ones are way more attached to technology in the way they communicate. These are the ones who prefer to text than talk; cannot leave home without their phones; rely too much on social networking and really are not living "in the moment" of their lives. They are also not "remembering" as they think "'I'll just Goggle it" and they don't realize that as humans we need to know certain things to function w/o technology."

But am I worried about them? Yes and no. Yes, for I am afraid that they are losing compassion and socialbity due to only communicating via technology, and yes in regards to them being able to "make their marks" in this country due to the econony, but NO as many are smart and do have drive and ambition... look at all the millenium millionaires there have been and MOST ALL are of this Generation.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:24 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
Fascinating--especially the point about the Millenium millionaires...there are opportunities through the mastery of the technology that many Gen Y's cut their teeth on...

As a boomer, one thing that blows my mind is the amount of college loan debts some Gen Y's and Gen X's are saddled with...it's hard to grasp starting out with that debt load. My total college loans were $3000 and it took me five years to pay off @ something like 2% interest...I cannot imagine $50,000 or more of debt...must be very discouraging...

Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 AM

2,902 posts, read 4,580,264 times
I'm the parent of a late-Gen X and a Gen Y. We live about 20 miles outside the "big city", and I find it interesting how my sons (and many, many of their friends) have no interest in living in the 'burbs. To them, the 'burbs are boring. Living the urban life, sans car, is much more to their liking.

My mother can't understand how they can live without a car...but then she lives in the 'burbs where one is necessary. My kids walk, ride bikes, or take public transportation...no big deal. If they need a car, they can tap into one of the "car share" businesses that are popping up in big cities.

They're not afraid of urban life. They want me to move into the "big city" (I'll probably stay put here in the 'burbs), but I thoroughly enjoy visiting with them...discovering new restaurants, enjoying the architecture, and taking advantage of all the culture a big city has to offer.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:40 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,586,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
it's hard to grasp starting out with that debt load. My total college loans were $3000 and it took me five years to pay off @ something like 2% interest...I cannot imagine $50,000 or more of debt...must be very discouraging...
It's 425K of education-related loans (not subsidized by the government) for my daughter, payable in 25 years at $3700/month.

From my personal knowledge of many of them, Gen Y-ers are productive members of society, erudite, well mannered, culturally and environmentally responsive. Most went to well-respected schools and hold great careers while being buried in higher debts than all other generations combined.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 10-17-2011 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
Most went to well-respected schools and hold great careers while being buried in higher debts than all other generations combined.
And the other downside of the "real world" today is that they don't enjoy the corporate loyalty to employees that many of us did and relied upon for long-term careers and stability.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And the other downside of the "real world" today is that they don't enjoy the corporate loyalty to employees that many of us did and relied upon for long-term careers and stability.
I'm not well versed in economy or politic or many social issues, so this is perhaps a dumb question, as well as an off topic one:

Is our bad economy the reason most professions ceased to be long-term careers and instead became a falling heap of at-will employment?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
They are also not ones to take at face value what is told them, but to question which often leads to total disrespect to those in charge.

My children were raised and taught never taking anything at face value, but think for themselves and question everything that could or should be changed for the better. They were taught that the ones in charge are not necessarily right and their own contributions to the betterment of the universe (or at least a small corner of it) are very important.

"Leads to total disrespect to those in charge?" Perhaps that's just presentation or difference in personal perception.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
It's 425K of education-related loans (not subsidized by the government) for my daughter, payable in 25 years at $3700/month.

From my personal knowledge of many of them, Gen Y-ers are productive members of society, erudite, well mannered, culturally and environmentally responsive. Most went to well-respected schools and hold great careers while being buried in higher debts than all other generations combined.
Oh my gosh, I do hope your daughter has a very well-paying job...that's mind-boggling to me, but then my first job out of college paid $600/month...now the circle has come full turn and I earn about the same as a writer (just kidding, but not by much). I send you and your daughter my best wishes for good fortune and full and happy lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement