Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 03:09 PM

12,046 posts, read 10,172,542 times

Advertisements

I started taking Vitamin D and a multi-vitamin about a month ago. I can feel a difference. Now if I could just get my young rambunctious dog to sleep through the night - things would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 03:18 PM

4,036 posts, read 2,890,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triani View Post
Good one Bright...

While anti depressants can be life savers in the short run, they are not the long term answer. A person needs to correct the root problem, which (IMO) is nutritional and/or spiritual.
Reading through Se Regrets posts, I was thinking along the lines of Health--diet, minerals, vitamins, and possibly gut issues.
Low Vit D levels will easily cause depression and other physical health issues.
Low or lack of minerals, esp. magnesium will cause allll kinds of problems with physical health and
the mind. Lack of B vitamins, ditto. Use some good(for you) enzymes and probiotics.

Be sure and get outside for a little while everyday. Go for walks if you are able.
Get thee to a church, if you are of that persuasion. If not so much into going to a formal church, then try listening to, or reading Joel Osteen. Although some criticize his style or what they see as weak scriptural teaching, you can't say he isn't inspirational and uplifting. I sometimes need a little dose of Joel :-)

Se regret and/or anyone, why not get working on your physical/spiritual health even(especially) while you are stuck somewhere or in some situation where you're not happy. That'll help make things a little better, and the thinking clearer no matter where you live, or move to.

Just my 2.5 cents.

While much of what you suggest is good for your overall health, I disagree with your assertion that these actions will "fix" depression. Depression and many mental illnesses are just that -- illnesses. Medication for some is the only way to "fix" the chemical imbalance that is the root cause of the illness. I believe that much of the stigma attached to mental illness is caused by people who think that there's a simple way to "get over it".

Old 12-18-2015, 05:32 PM

7,018 posts, read 6,220,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
While much of what you suggest is good for your overall health, I disagree with your assertion that these actions will "fix" depression. Depression and many mental illnesses are just that -- illnesses. Medication for some is the only way to "fix" the chemical imbalance that is the root cause of the illness. I believe that much of the stigma attached to mental illness is caused by people who think that there's a simple way to "get over it".

Thank you for saying that. I don't know when my depression started, it may have been as young as my 20's. I know for sure it was in my 40's, when my brother who was my closest friend, died of heart failure. I was falling asleep all the time, even at work. When my employer asked me to go to the Dr, I finally did. After tests for thyroid problems, which mimic depression, she finally prescribed an antidepressant when I fell asleep at her office.

I was on them for 6 months. Then, 10 years later when I was on wellbutrin to help quit smokin, all of a sudden I felt better. I did not put two and two together until after my back operation was not doing as well as I was told it would. I was staying with my sister then and living on a lake. I would try to figure out ways to drown myself, my sister found out & called my Dr.

Since then I have been on generic wellbutrin and no longer have thoughts of suicide. So, yes, sometimes the only solution is medication. And I also take vitamin d. And a multi, probiotics, b complex, etc.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:42 PM

18,607 posts, read 33,173,132 times
[quote=Triani;42329021]Good one Bright...
While anti depressants can be life savers in the short run, they are not the long term answer. A person needs to correct the root problem, which (IMO) is nutritional and/or spiritual.

Gotta add my two cents that I disagree, both professionally and personally.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,897,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I started taking Vitamin D and a multi-vitamin about a month ago. I can feel a difference. Now if I could just get my young rambunctious dog to sleep through the night - things would be better.
Shot of whiskey under the tongue does wonders.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,897,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triani View Post
Good one Bright...

Reading through Se Regrets posts, I was thinking along the lines of Health--diet, minerals, vitamins, and possibly gut issues.
Low Vit D levels will easily cause depression and other physical health issues.
Low or lack of minerals, esp. magnesium will cause allll kinds of problems with physical health and
the mind. Lack of B vitamins, ditto. Use some good(for you) enzymes and probiotics.

Be sure and get outside for a little while everyday. Go for walks if you are able.
Get thee to a church, if you are of that persuasion. If not so much into going to a formal church, then try listening to, or reading Joel Osteen. Although some criticize his style or what they see as weak scriptural teaching, you can't say he isn't inspirational and uplifting. I sometimes need a little dose of Joel :-)

Se regret and/or anyone, why not get working on your physical/spiritual health even(especially) while you are stuck somewhere or in some situation where you're not happy. That'll help make things a little better, and the thinking clearer no matter where you live, or move to.

Just my 2.5 cents.
There is clinical depression and situational depression. I believe brightdoglover refers to clinical, as that relates to her profession. For this there is no easy answer and often the problem is brought under management but seldom or never cured, according to "the literature."

For some with situational depression, such as that from losses, a move to a new location can be just the thing. Not always, of course, but I'd bet in many cases. It provides a new perspective, a new shot of energy, to approach life in a new way with new activities and friends. The first time I left New England for the Midwest I experienced a huge positive shift in my life, away from my mother who caused a situation I couldn't stand. I wouldn't discount the idea of relocation for this reason.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:57 PM

7,018 posts, read 6,220,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
There is clinical depression and situational depression. I believe brightdoglover refers to clinical, as that relates to her profession. For this there is no easy answer and often the problem is brought under management but seldom or never cured, according to "the literature."

For some with situational depression, such as that from losses, a move to a new location can be just the thing. Not always, of course, but I'd bet in many cases. It provides a new perspective, a new shot of energy, to approach life in a new way with new activities and friends. The first time I left New England for the Midwest I experienced a huge positive shift in my life, away from my mother who caused a situation I couldn't stand. I wouldn't discount the idea of relocation for this reason.
I agree & am Sorry I kept up with the getting off track. Let's get back to the topic please. I am serious about moving & Don't want to spend out of my budget to visit the places I'm interested in. It is really helpful to hear what did and did not work for others. I have already decided to combine my search with visiting, so outside of Cleveland, will also be seeing folks I treasure.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:26 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,306,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I agree & am Sorry I kept up with the getting off track. Let's get back to the topic please. I am serious about moving & Don't want to spend out of my budget to visit the places I'm interested in. It is really helpful to hear what did and did not work for others. I have already decided to combine my search with visiting, so outside of Cleveland, will also be seeing folks I treasure.
Thank you for bringing this thread back on track. How it devolved into a discussion of various remedies I don't know but that has absolutely nothing to do with moving in retirement regrets.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:22 AM

18,607 posts, read 33,173,132 times
My fault. I objected to people using the phrase "happy pills" when depressed in relocation. I cannot seem to pass up the need to educate people about depression. Shall keep a closer eye on it.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:11 AM

12,046 posts, read 10,172,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Shot of whiskey under the tongue does wonders.
For me or the dog? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement