Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2016, 09:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To me, December through February (and March depending on location) sucks most anywhere in the country aside from coastal CA, Florida, south Texas, and along the Gulf Coast.

It's supposed to be 32/17 here Friday. In Chicago, it's 26/10. We will get back in the 50s for a bit next week, but it's cloudy, overcast, and wet (which we need due to the droughts).

Honestly it's not much different here than Michigan in the winter aside from the snow totals - too cold to do much outside, and damp/worn out dead ground.
I live in central NY. We are having similar temperatures as you are. Cold and damp, occasional sunshine but still cold. Even some snow this morning.

I know I have a bit of an obsession about this. But I keep thinking ... I have a nice apartment where I can regulate the heat (or cool), sleep in a comfy bed, wear good clothes, eat good food, make a cup of coffee or tea anytime I feel like it, have indoor plumbing. Etc.

But there are many people who are living in far worse conditions, the homeless people in our country, some who have homes but live with terrible conditions.

And then there are the war-torn people. Living in fear, no homes, no creature comforts, no food, no water, etc., etc. Bomb going off every minute, people killed, wounded, children suffering.

So I guess I'm off topic. I apologize. But it's hard for me to complain about any circumstances I am living with when I think of these other people.

Again, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place. I have been feeling very strongly about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 10:40 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
^^^^
Don't know if you're off topic. I think it's always easy to get lost in trying to find a "perfect life" and losing the gratitude for what we do have. A good reminder.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:26 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I live in central NY. We are having similar temperatures as you are. Cold and damp, occasional sunshine but still cold. Even some snow this morning.

I know I have a bit of an obsession about this. But I keep thinking ... I have a nice apartment where I can regulate the heat (or cool), sleep in a comfy bed, wear good clothes, eat good food, make a cup of coffee or tea anytime I feel like it, have indoor plumbing. Etc.

But there are many people who are living in far worse conditions, the homeless people in our country, some who have homes but live with terrible conditions.

And then there are the war-torn people. Living in fear, no homes, no creature comforts, no food, no water, etc., etc. Bomb going off every minute, people killed, wounded, children suffering.

So I guess I'm off topic. I apologize. But it's hard for me to complain about any circumstances I am living with when I think of these other people.

Again, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place. I have been feeling very strongly about this.
I don't think about it really from that perspective, but it's true.

With that said, if you're a retiree living in NY or some other northern state and are moving somewhere "halfway down" like TN or NC for the better winter, I don't think it's worth it. These states still get cold, the leaves still fall, the ground still looks dead, and the weather still sucks during the traditional winter months.

No, we don't have the consistent snowpack like more northern states, and it's not that uncommon to have a January day in the 50s or even low 60s to get outside or open the windows, but the majority of the time it's still not fun to be outside. Spring honestly isn't much different here than it was in Indiana.

If someones want to escape winter, they need to go to Florida or something or else they'll regret it.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:08 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Aw, but there are those of us who have to find that out for themselves. I plan on checking out Arkansas & Tennessee this spring. I'll have to make the decision of moving all by myself, just as you did.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:11 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
I don't think about it really from that perspective, but it's true.

With that said, if you're a retiree living in NY or some other northern state and are moving somewhere "halfway down" like TN or NC for the better winter, I don't think it's worth it. These states still get cold, the leaves still fall, the ground still looks dead, and the weather still sucks during the traditional winter months.

No, we don't have the consistent snowpack like more northern states, and it's not that uncommon to have a January day in the 50s or even low 60s to get outside or open the windows, but the majority of the time it's still not fun to be outside. Spring honestly isn't much different here than it was in Indiana.

If someones want to escape winter, they need to go to Florida or something or else they'll regret it.

But Tennessee doesn't have an income tax.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:30 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
But Tennessee doesn't have an income tax.
There has historically been a 6.5% tax in dividend and investment income above a certain amount, called the Hall Tax. There is no tax on earned income, but the sales tax is over 9%. The income tax is not going to be as big of a factor for most seniors as it is for working people. For me, it's been the equivalent of paying my utilities. Nice, but by no means a deal breaker.

I live near Virginia and do most of my shopping in Virginia for their 4.5% sales tax. Combined with our low property taxes and negligible government fees, I probably live in one of the most tax friendly areas Of the country. With that said, incomes are low and Tennesseeans are, as a whole, poor with a lot of social ills.

Tennessee has a lot of value but also many problems that people in rich states and major metros are unfamiliar with. It is worth a look for retirees but by no means a slam dunk.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:48 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
---
Maybe, but the snow does not pile up by the yard. The temps don't drop well below zero. The bitter winter weather does not last month after month after month after month after month after month. People don't need to dress in snow pants and parkas and heavy mittens just to dig their cars out to go the store for milk. It is even worse for older people who need to worry about slipping on ice and breaking bones. Then there is the winter long bronchitis due to cold weather and dry inside air. Should I also mention the depression that occurs in March when the dark and cold is still oppressive and there are still a couple more months until decent weather? Should I mention the heating bills? The wear and tear on vehicles?

I still remember being young and stupid and almost dying within sight of my house because I was not wearing decent clothing and the Chicago temps were an actual minus 26 with a nasty wind. At those temps you can literally die within minutes if you are not dressed for the cold.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:16 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,670,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Maybe, but the snow does not pile up by the yard. The temps don't drop well below zero. The bitter winter weather does not last month after month after month after month after month after month. People don't need to dress in snow pants and parkas and heavy mittens just to dig their cars out to go the store for milk. It is even worse for older people who need to worry about slipping on ice and breaking bones. Then there is the winter long bronchitis due to cold weather and dry inside air. Should I also mention the depression that occurs in March when the dark and cold is still oppressive and there are still a couple more months until decent weather? Should I mention the heating bills? The wear and tear on vehicles?

I still remember being young and stupid and almost dying within sight of my house because I was not wearing decent clothing and the Chicago temps were an actual minus 26 with a nasty wind. At those temps you can literally die within minutes if you are not dressed for the cold.
I agree. I grew up in the snowy and icy North and I can't deal with it now. Four to five months of grim, gray skies, dirty snow piles, slushy roads and black ice are just depressing. The beauty of the first snowfalls cannot be denied but it just drags on.

In more moderate climates, we have pansies and some winter flowering bushes. The skies are often bright blue and sunny. January and February can be raw with some snow or ice but there can also be days in the 60s. By March the first bulbs and redbud trees are blooming so you feel Spring has arrived. When we would visit up North, it was still cold, damp and dreary. Flowers couldn't safely be planted until Memorial Day.

Although it is still winter here, there is a huge difference in driving conditions which I appreciate. Until someone has lived in both circumstances, it is perhaps hard to judge.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:58 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
With yesterday and today's blizzard, I'm pretty sure this will be my last winter here. I was planning on going through this last winter to make sure.

Yup, I'm going south before next winter.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:24 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
No intention of trying to make this political. I just happened to see that Hawaii got a lot of snow. Don't know if they have ever gotten snow, or at least that much of it.

With that, can any of us trust the "ideal" weather we are moving to will remain ideal forever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement