U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 01:45 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
.... I just happened to see that Hawaii got a lot of snow. Don't know if they have ever gotten snow, or at least that much of it.

I will be visiting Hawaii again this February. The temps in Hilo will be pleasant with maybe a light jacket in the evening but shorts during the days. I will be able to see snow on the mountains and up towards the observatories day temps may be zero or less.

This is one reason I wonder about anyone who wants to retire and live in the mountains. Summers can be beautiful but at higher elevations winter is all but a year around event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 02:31 PM

10,457 posts, read 5,917,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't think about it really from that perspective, but it's true.

With that said, if you're a retiree living in NY or some other northern state and are moving somewhere "halfway down" like TN or NC for the better winter, I don't think it's worth it. These states still get cold, the leaves still fall, the ground still looks dead, and the weather still sucks during the traditional winter months.

No, we don't have the consistent snowpack like more northern states, and it's not that uncommon to have a January day in the 50s or even low 60s to get outside or open the windows, but the majority of the time it's still not fun to be outside. Spring honestly isn't much different here than it was in Indiana.

If someones want to escape winter, they need to go to Florida or something or else they'll regret it.
Not necessarily. Sure it gets cold in TN but not NY cold and of course the winter is much much shorter down there.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:03 PM

781 posts, read 892,352 times
Quote:
No intention of trying to make this political. I just happened to see that Hawaii got a lot of snow. Don't know if they have ever gotten snow, or at least that much of it.

With that, can any of us trust the "ideal" weather we are moving to will remain ideal forever?
I came to Peru 13 years ago and have no regrets. Near perfect climate/low cost city living/great food/nice people/No Politics/No rain/no storms/no natural disasters/we do have the possibility of Earthquakes but live in a building that is anti-seismic construction. No need for cars/insurance/first world medical,dental at low cost. No risk of lawsuits etc etc etc. With that said climate change may force me to invest in an umbrella in the future.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:49 PM
JRR

3,676 posts, read 2,222,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I agree. I grew up in the snowy and icy North and I can't deal with it now. Four to five months of grim, gray skies, dirty snow piles, slushy roads and black ice are just depressing. The beauty of the first snowfalls cannot be denied but it just drags on.

In more moderate climates, we have pansies and some winter flowering bushes. The skies are often bright blue and sunny. January and February can be raw with some snow or ice but there can also be days in the 60s. By March the first bulbs and redbud trees are blooming so you feel Spring has arrived. When we would visit up North, it was still cold, damp and dreary. Flowers couldn't safely be planted until Memorial Day.

Although it is still winter here, there is a huge difference in driving conditions which I appreciate. Until someone has lived in both circumstances, it is perhaps hard to judge.
Amen to that. I spent part of my childhood in a small town near Utica NY. I can remember walking to school in the winter, all bundled up, head bent down trudging into the driving snow. It was only six or eight blocks, but those memories are still with me. And the piles of dirty snow when we would go shopping in Utica. And the plows coming by and pushing more snow into the driveway that I had just helped my father shovel out. Summer was beautiful but sometimes it seemed if you took a long nap you might miss it. I have a nephew who lives in Syracuse and when he told me last year what his property taxes are it took my breath away. Wild horses couldn't drag me back there for retirement. I think that Tennessee will suit me just fine.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:16 PM

13,313 posts, read 25,542,533 times
Quote:
No intention of trying to make this political. I just happened to see that Hawaii got a lot of snow. Don't know if they have ever gotten snow, or at least that much of it.

With that, can any of us trust the "ideal" weather we are moving to will remain ideal forever?

The snow in Hawaii is only an issue if you live on the top of Mauna Kea or some other place over 9,000 feet. It's not uncommon up on the volcanic peaks.

That said,every time I've been in some tropical paradise where everyone else is thrilled (including Hawaii) I thought it was too hot and humid.
Nothing wrong with cold weather and snow if you don't have to schlep to work in it. Speaking of which, it's time for me to go off for another night of employment. Been listening to a song "One More Night Until the Morning."

Old 12-06-2016, 08:54 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Nothing wrong with cold weather and snow if you don't have to schlep to work in it.

Unless you need to clean your own driveway.
Unless you have outdoor hobbies like mine..3d archery, fishing, hiking.
Unless you like to garden.
Unless you don't mind being shut up in the house for prolonged periods.
Unless you are getting old and worry about falling on the ice.
Unless you have classes, museum trips, presentations, club meetings and other activities that you need to travel to.
Unless you want to walk and do yard work for exercise.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:40 PM

7,232 posts, read 4,119,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There has historically been a 6.5% tax in dividend and investment income above a certain amount, called the Hall Tax. There is no tax on earned income, but the sales tax is over 9%. The income tax is not going to be as big of a factor for most seniors as it is for working people. For me, it's been the equivalent of paying my utilities. Nice, but by no means a deal breaker.

I live near Virginia and do most of my shopping in Virginia for their 4.5% sales tax. Combined with our low property taxes and negligible government fees, I probably live in one of the most tax friendly areas Of the country. With that said, incomes are low and Tennesseeans are, as a whole, poor with a lot of social ills.

Tennessee has a lot of value but also many problems that people in rich states and major metros are unfamiliar with. It is worth a look for retirees but by no means a slam dunk.

The Hall tax will not affect most people. Certainly not those with minimal income.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:46 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,033,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The Hall tax will not affect most people. Certainly not those with minimal income.
AND the Hall tax is currently being phased out!!! IT will be completely gone is, what, 5 years?

Old 12-07-2016, 01:13 AM

13,313 posts, read 25,542,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Unless you need to clean your own driveway.
Unless you have outdoor hobbies like mine..3d archery, fishing, hiking.
Unless you like to garden.
Unless you don't mind being shut up in the house for prolonged periods.
Unless you are getting old and worry about falling on the ice.
Unless you have classes, museum trips, presentations, club meetings and other activities that you need to travel to.
Unless you want to walk and do yard work for exercise.
Well, let's see. No gardening. I don't mind staying in the house with my dogs and books and views and wood stove. My major volunteer activity and outdoor interest (horseback riding) is largely a summer thing. I do hope to return to cross-country skiing.

I hear the snow where I'm going is very dry and powdery and often melts quite quickly in the high altitude sun. So I won't go out during the snowing but it shouldn't present a problem for weeks the way it does in New England.

To each his own, eh? I cannot take the sticky grey of the New England summer any more.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:41 AM

5,939 posts, read 5,293,703 times
[quote=alikelysuspect;46380867

I know some folks that think that Hilton Head is the center of retirement universe, because they golf. Other than golfing, they do little else. We don't golf, so if one doesn't, it's probably not the best place to be.[/QUOTE]

Or you can start to golf. The youngest looking, acting, feeling people I know are golfers. Walk 18 a day and you will feel like a new person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or