Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 01:41 PM

23,060 posts, read 28,770,326 times

Advertisements

In my 73 years I've never been cut into and I'll do anything to avoid it. Yes, Medicare doesn't pay for stem cell treatments, but if you hunt around, it can be done rather cheaply and professionally. I have no tolerance for pain and when I hear of others in my senior community having had a knee/hip replacement and what they've gone thru, No way, no way. Sheesh, I couldn't even deal with the pain of a Baker's Cyst, and I was investigating Dignitas in Switzerland, the most liberal suicide clinic in the world. So how would I react to the accompanying pain of a knee replacement?

I'm going to have a stem cell treatment on my knee next week. My 83YO neighbor had it done 3 years ago and she's had no problems since. I'll be having it done in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 02:40 PM

22,807 posts, read 18,101,386 times
IME with a THR, the worst pain occurred before surgery, not after! By the time I was preparing for surgery I'd been limping around in pain for years. Once that damaged joint was gone the pain stopped. I barely recall much if any discomfort from the incision/staples. It just healed up with no fuss. Probably the worst part about post op recovery was giving myself anticoagulant injections for a week. Due to the type of implantation the surgeon and I chose I was totally non-weightbearing for 6 weeks. It was hard to stay compliant precisely because I didn't hurt.

THRs and TKRs are very different and so is recovery. The hip is a very tough and solid joint. Not so the knee. I've known a number of people who've had TKRs. Recovery takes longer and the essential PT was painful. Takes discipline. I would have few qualms about another THR but surgery on knees is another matter. My knees aren't great now, but I am nowhere near ready to consider that.

Up to you to make this decision OP. The usual caveats apply. All anyone can really do here is relate their personal experience. No two bodies will react to the same procedure in quite the same way.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-09-2024 at 02:51 PM..

Old 02-09-2024, 04:07 PM

10,979 posts, read 9,609,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In my 73 years I've never been cut into and I'll do anything to avoid it. Yes, Medicare doesn't pay for stem cell treatments, but if you hunt around, it can be done rather cheaply and professionally. I have no tolerance for pain and when I hear of others in my senior community having had a knee/hip replacement and what they've gone thru, No way, no way. Sheesh, I couldn't even deal with the pain of a Baker's Cyst, and I was investigating Dignitas in Switzerland, the most liberal suicide clinic in the world. So how would I react to the accompanying pain of a knee replacement?

I'm going to have a stem cell treatment on my knee next week. My 83YO neighbor had it done 3 years ago and she's had no problems since. I'll be having it done in Mexico.
My neighbors have both been having stem cell treatments (at great expense) on their knees for 5 years. The result .... no improvement. No worse, but no better. Some studies suggest it's helpful, but it's not a sure thing and it costs thousands out of pocket. Caveat emptor.

Meanwhile ...other neighbors have had their knees replaced (as has my SIL on both knees) they are out there enjoying life and getting on with it after their physical therapy and some strength training. Don't get me wrong, PT is painful, but the end result is worth it. I don't know what to say regarding your extreme fear of pain, but it seems like you would only need surgery or stem cell treatment if you were already experiencing pain, so I fail to understand why temporary post-surgical pain is so much scarier.

Last edited by TheShadow; 02-09-2024 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-10-2024, 05:50 AM

23,060 posts, read 28,770,326 times
The Great Unknown is my greatest fear, the recovery process. I've been on Youtube video's regarding Knee Replacements and the responses are all over the board, no different with the seniors in my 55+ community that have had it done. My brother has had 2 knee replacements over the last 4 years and in 2 weeks he was back working as a mechanic at his Auto mechanic shop.

I certainly wasn't going to gamble upwards of $10k for a stem cell treatment as it's experimental, but for under $2k it's worth the risk. Whether or not it makes a difference, Mexico advertises they use more baby cells than in the U.S.

Another neighbor had stem cell done on his right hip, as opposed to replacement, and it was a success. But when he had it done on his left hip, it was a failure.

I'm looking at this from a rational standpoint. If these stem cell clinics are unsuccessful, then why are so many still in business? 3 stem cell clinics alone in Phoenix, one here in Tucson.

And why the quicker recovery from some, rather than others? Could it be the surgeon? Or was it just a matter of some people recover faster than others?

If this turns out to be a failure, then I'll have to face the music. Beethoven? Wagner?

Old 02-10-2024, 08:12 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,863,983 times
When a knee or hip is shot, a replacement is the only option. Perhaps there is some benefit to stem cell therapy but I doubt it is a long term fix. I had a total knee replacement 2 years ago and yeah the first month of rehab is not easy but I'm very happy with the results.

Old 02-10-2024, 09:08 AM

7,264 posts, read 3,485,885 times
One issue with a knee replacement is timing. It is a mechanical device, of course, and it will wear out. Studies indicate they last about 15 to 20 years or so.

To replace the replacement (remove the artificial knee and install a new one), the surgery is more complex and I've been told takes about 4x the time in the operating room.

I have a friend who had his knee done at age 55; his recovery was fast, but he knows he'll need to undergo a replacement of the replacement when he's roughly 75.

Old 02-10-2024, 09:12 AM

1,418 posts, read 738,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
One issue with a knee replacement is timing. It is a mechanical device, of course, and it will wear out. Studies indicate they last about 15 to 20 years or so.

To replace the replacement (remove the artificial knee and install a new one), the surgery is more complex and I've been told takes about 4x the time in the operating room.

I have a friend who had his knee done at age 55; his recovery was fast, but he knows he'll need to undergo a replacement of the replacement when he's roughly 75.
The newer ones can last over 30 years.

Old 02-10-2024, 09:17 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,863,983 times
Quote:

I got the extended warranty policy which is good for a million steps.

Old 02-10-2024, 09:19 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,609,868 times
Quote:

That's why some ortho docs recommend waiting for those who want replacement immediately when they are fairly young and newly diagnosed. They know it will wear out prior to this person's life expectancy and want them to wait until it's really bad before they replace it so hopefully it's a one and done and not have to be re-replaced in 15-20 years. The following article gives some insight into the failure rates over time for replacements.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018071914272
Good data on joint replacement are hard to find
It's difficult to predict how long a joint replacement will last for several reasons. One is that it can take a decade or more to collect data on past operations to predict the success of future operations. Another challenge is that in recent years, there's been a tendency to operate on younger people, including baby boomers who are more active in their 50s and 60s and may expect more of their new joints than prior generations. Age is of particular importance, because a person with a life expectancy of 15 years has a much better chance of avoiding a future operation than a person with a life expectancy of 30 years. In addition, younger patients tend to be more active and put more stress on their new joint. For these reasons, some surgeons advise younger patients to put off surgery as long as possible, even if that means suffering with pain, stiffness, and reduced mobility. ...

Old 02-10-2024, 09:40 AM

22,226 posts, read 47,150,952 times
There are many knee problems that can only be resolved with surgery.

We have no idea what your particular knee issue is. Maybe the stem cells will help, more likely you are throwing away your money. And getting the surgery when you are older is more difficult, as is rehab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement