Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 AM

8,943 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

Ok, since I was unemployed for a few years and having a very difficult time finding another job, I was very happy when I turned 62 a month ago and able to apply/get my Early Retirement/SS. All of my unemployment benefits had run out, so no more money there. So, without any money coming in for me at all, this SS was excellent choice for me. Anyway, due to age, some physical limitations (3 past surgeries) and no college degree and/or certification, I'm still having a hard time even finding a part-time job and wondering if anyone else is in the same situation? I want a "desk job" using a computer, since I can no longer lift/move around heavy things, stand too long. I use to be able to work in a warehouse, stockroom and do some delivery work, but seems like those days are gone now. So, I'm 100% content with getting SS, but would like a little bit more money coming in for wife and I.
It's extremely nice having money coming in without "job stress" going on anymore, but......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Hotel front desk?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,536 times
How about some charter service where you take people out on your boat? I ended up starting my own business but I have a niche in electrical engineering so that made it easier. The "job stress" was a big factor in my decision for sure.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:56 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, since I was unemployed for a few years and having a very difficult time finding another job, I was very happy when I turned 62 a month ago and able to apply/get my Early Retirement/SS. All of my unemployment benefits had run out, so no more money there. So, without any money coming in for me at all, this SS was excellent choice for me. Anyway, due to age, some physical limitations (3 past surgeries) and no college degree and/or certification, I'm still having a hard time even finding a part-time job and wondering if anyone else is in the same situation? I want a "desk job" using a computer, since I can no longer lift/move around heavy things, stand too long. I use to be able to work in a warehouse, stockroom and do some delivery work, but seems like those days are gone now. So, I'm 100% content with getting SS, but would like a little bit more money coming in for wife and I.
It's extremely nice having money coming in without "job stress" going on anymore, but......

I assume you know that if you earn over a certain amount you will lose money from your SS. Also that you are not permanently on reduced SS. Of course if there is no other money then one has no choice.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Would have to be daytime hours only and no weekends.........at my wife's request (or should I say "orders"). AND, I'm not sure I really want to work with/for the public. Dealing with the public isn't the way it was years ago and now that I'm older with (sometimes) much less patience.......well, you know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Hotel front desk?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
My unemployment benefits were reduced to $76 per week, so I had to take my SS out in February. I was 62 last October, and I regret not doing it then, because I would have had more money saved up. I already had one part-time job that I was working from when I had my full time job, and obtained another one. There's no way that I could make $14,160 per year working for $8.50 per hour part-time. I don't get 40 hours per week, and the jobs aren't designed to be lived on.

I don't worry about it at all.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 PM

This would take insurance that there is no way we could afford. Besides that, our boat isn't big enough for that type of thing. I love photography, but I'm sure not THAT good with it to try and sell photos that I've taken and I've seen photos that have sold and mine aren't nearly as good. They are good, but "sellable" good, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
How about some charter service where you take people out on your boat? I ended up starting my own business but I have a niche in electrical engineering so that made it easier. The "job stress" was a big factor in my decision for sure.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
You can make up to $14K before it affects your SS. Do you still have your health benefits from before?. Most employers are very interested in hires who don't need benefits. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM

My wife earns a nice salary, but not as high as she use to. On the other hand, her benefits are fabulous. She gets 4 wks off a year and hasn't even been with this banking company for a year!! Yes, I do know about earning too much which would result in losing my SS for a period of time.
Bringing in a little more would just make it easier for us to do a few more things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I assume you know that if you earn over a certain amount you will lose money from your SS. Also that you are not permanently on reduced SS. Of course if there is no other money then one has no choice.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 PM

I have health benefits from the VA. I didn't want to burden my wife's salary by adding myself onto her medical insurance so I renewed my VA Medical earlier this year. But, in order for an employer to find out that a person doesn't need medical, they have to interview you. An "interview" means a call from an employer of which hasn't happened that much for me. Have got a few calls for jobs, but the jobs were 20 plus miles away and I'm just not going to drive that far anymore for a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You can make up to $14K before it affects your SS. Do you still have your health benefits from before?. Most employers are very interested in hires who don't need benefits. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement