U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 12:54 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,922,685 times

Advertisements

My Mom has a low-pile Berber type, but her walker has left roller marks on it. In her kitchen, we had Pergo (laminate) installed, and she loves it. The medium wood color shows no dirt or marks, which is great because she's not able to clean it frequently. It's easy for her to roll around with her walker, and when she's making a meal, she uses a chair on wheels to roll back and forth so she's not standing on her feet long. It's not as hard and unforgiving as tile, and feels warmer underfoot. We don't have any throw or area rugs because of the possibility of tripping. She's in assisted-living now, and they have the same type of laminate flooring in her room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 06:09 PM

9,678 posts, read 15,855,639 times
A note---vinyl sheeting tears easily, you can't move furniture across it, you have to lift and carry it, very difficult for an older person.

Get carpet, a medium weight carpet and thick pad to cushion falls. Even if it gets dirty and has to be replaced every few years, its worth it for the safety factor.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:06 PM

5,167 posts, read 8,691,075 times
Smile Good advice - thanks!

Boy, I hope I can move ahead on this.

Right now, my FIL and his sister are ecstatic about the thorough cleaning job that was done so I'm really happy about that! Well worth the cost.

The house has not been cleaned like that since April 2009 so you can get some idea of what I'm dealing with.

You've all given some really good suggestions and like I said, I have a very small window of time - so this is the week.

Wish me luck.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,851,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Boy, I hope I can move ahead on this.

Right now, my FIL and his sister are ecstatic about the thorough cleaning job that was done so I'm really happy about that! Well worth the cost.

The house has not been cleaned like that since April 2009 so you can get some idea of what I'm dealing with.

You've all given some really good suggestions and like I said, I have a very small window of time - so this is the week.

Wish me luck.
Move fast and don't let anything stop you. Removing that filthy carpet and flooring alone will improve his health and well-being!

Old 10-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Smile $$

I think, also, as long as I'm paying for it and he is not, that will be easier.

Now, the flooring guys will have to move a TON of stuff (yup, he's a hoarder but not like the show) so that's another issue!!

It will be better for his health. Other than his hip replacements (both), he's pretty good for 89.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:30 AM

28,490 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Now, the flooring guys will have to move a TON of stuff (yup, he's a hoarder but not like the show) so that's another issue!!
have them move it out to the dumpster!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:22 AM

Smile We would never get that lucky!!!

My FIL has every National Geographic since 1951. He's a science nut too so that's fine - but he stacks them up in the living room.

Years ago, we got some of those nice see through containers and loaded those up with them BUT they still had to stay in the living room LOL!!

He just has tons of junk around but I quit thinking about that a while ago.

One time, we took 6 garbarge bags to the curb. The next day, he went out there and brought them back in with all the crap in them.

With his sister here (and he wants her to stay longer), we've got an ace in our pocket b/c if he doesn't do it, she'll threathen to go back up north and he wants her here so he's still in the "pleaser" phase.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 PM

6,123 posts, read 9,076,489 times
Hi Betty; My mom is 101 and lives in a Chicago suburb in a house that has had little updating (her kitchen cabinets were painted yellow and the floor is trashy linoleum.) When I was about 12, she got berber carpet in LR, DR and stairs and it is still good. She does put throw rugs over it in places though. She also saves everything and she has a basement full of stuff which I, being an only child, have to clear out when she passes. Not looking forward to that day... I think berber is the way to go.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 PM

Smile Oh my ....

My husband is an only also - his way of dealing with it is to tell me about it and then my husband's sister (90) calls me.

Today, it was at 6:45 AM wondering when the plumber was coming.

Wow, your mom is 101 in the same home! That's amazing - I hope my FIL can make it until the end in his same home!!

(I grew up in northern suburbs).

Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 PM

121 posts, read 253,641 times
Default New flooring products

I can relate to the difficulties you are dealing with regarding your dad's health. My sisters and I went thru a similiar situation with Dad's house and living conditions. In the course of ripping out the filthy carpet, we discovered a new product on the market that made our floor replacement job a breeze! We're not carpenters so when we discovered a vinyl plank system that looks and feels like wood and can be attached to itself rather then the floor and only needs an exacto knife to cut we were sold. My sisters and I refloored the entire house with this product and we love the finished results! It looks and feels just like wood! It cost us $1.79 a square foot and it was worth every cent! Tile can be cheaper if you forget to include the grout, base and tile cutter rental. If you're young and strong and the floor is level, go with ceramic tile. If the house is old, the floor isn't level and you're not a professional tile setter, go with the vinyl planks that look like wood from the big box store.(H.D.) Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or