Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times

Advertisements

Some of you know my FIL is 89 now. He lives alone in his own home that he has owned for 30 years. My MIL passed away from Alzheimers 7 years ago. She had been sick for 8 years prior.

In other words, the home has not had a good cleaning for close to 15 years. Some of you can relate. His sister (now 90) has come down again for a month. She is wonderful.

We only have a short window of time b/c he's happy she's here and he'll agree to some things that sometimes he won't otherwise. (I have hired a cleaning crew for today - that is a positive).

He has 30 year old orange heavy shag carpet in the living room and small dining area. The carpet and what is under it smells very bad. He has spilled food/drinks on the carpet over the years and we have gotten nowhere.

Anyway, one of his nicer neighbors went over and told me we should replace the carpet and he may be open to it.

Question: Wood flooring instead of carpet? Industrial type carpet?
Tile? Any other ideas?

What is best for walking as you get older? My home is almost 100% tile and wood flooring so I gave up on the carpet years ago and I love it but that may not work for everyone.

The home is only 1400 SF - the 2 areas I am talking about maybe total 450 SF so we'll put out the money if we have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Given his age, I'd recommend some form of low-nap carpeting. It's easier to walk on, provides better traction, would cushion possible falls, is quieter and warmer under foot. If treated against stains and cleaned approximately every six months it can be kept/made reasonably hygenic.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
...we should replace the carpet and he may be open to it.

Wood flooring instead of carpet? No.
Tile? No

Vinyl sheet? If a lot of the eating is done there... spill clean up.
Industrial (low pile/berber) type carpet? Probably the best option.
hth

Old 10-20-2011, 11:18 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
hth
Several of the new homes in my neighborhood have used vinyl sheeting for the hall, kitchen, great room, dining rooms, etc. I am very impressed by its selections, looks, durability, and softness.

That said, depending on cost I would say vinyl sheeting or low pile/berber commercial grade carpet. You do not want to spend much money as who knows what the next buyer will want.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:26 PM

Smile Great ideas - thanks!!

The berber with thick padding probably is the best way - more of an industrial type carpet.

I'm not familiar with vinyl sheeting. The kitchen has the ugliest floor I've ever seen - also not changed in 30 years!

If/when something happens to him, we're gutting the house. We would maybe get $50K for it in a neighborhood of $120K plus homes. It's not in good condition.

We'll keep it and rent it out. It will be a good rental and we're fine with that.

(We are hoping he'll be around for a while!! He's only 89.)

Good suggestions - thanks to all!! Calling my flooring guy and setting it up.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:42 PM

Smile Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Given his age, I'd recommend some form of low-nap carpeting. It's easier to walk on, provides better traction, would cushion possible falls, is quieter and warmer under foot. If treated against stains and cleaned approximately every six months it can be kept/made reasonably hygenic.
I had to laugh about the 6 months. So funny. We'll be lucky to get it cleaned in the next 5 years!! LOL.

Remember the thread about the clothes. I can relate to that one.

PS - I have been staying out of things myself (I am the only DIL) - my husband is the only child - I don't live like my FIL does - if I can't do something, I get it done by someone - and if my dear MIL were alive, she would be horrified at the condition of the home that she loved so much. (That's where I'm coming from).

PPS - Not a matter of $$$.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
You won't find much carpeting in the living areas of a nursing home and there is a reason for that. Go out to an upscale elder care facility near your home and look around and get some ideas.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:48 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I'm not familiar with vinyl sheeting.
Think linoleum.

You have it in your house now... I'm sure.
Armstrong, Congoleum, etc

If he eats in the room and even if there are incontinence issues...
it makes the clean up into a simple task; not a project.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,422 times
Bette...I think it depends somewhat on your FIL's ability to walk. I just came from my parents' house, where my soon-to-be 89 year old mother had fallen on their ceramic tile floor in early September. No one took her to the doctor for over a week. While I was there, we took her for an MRI and she had broken two vertebra in her lower back. Meanwhile...Dad trips on rugs all over the house, but stubbornly refuses to let anyone remove them. Personally...that's the one thing I would make sure you don't have around your FIL...rugs.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:19 PM

Smile No throw rugs!!

We just have wood floors and tile in our home; our office does have industrial type carpeting though.

I have never had linoleum in my homes - always tile - but it is something to consider for sure.

I think the low grade berber or commercial carpet is going to the one. His sister will be so delighted and I'm just trying to ride this moment of happiness that he is going through right now. He's just been lonely since she left - it's been almost 6 months and that's the longest ever.

Once that window of opportunity shuts, that's it until the next wave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement