U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 07:31 AM

4,281 posts, read 10,748,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I read today that LV has the highest rate of foreclosures in the country--so it's fortunately for you a buyer's market at this time.
Recently a friend asked me to drive thru an area where there have been a lot of foreclosures. He said there were some great deals to be had. While driving around I said take a close look at the neighborhood. It is fast becoming shabby. Common areas needed work. Some empty houses. Some houses need power washing. I asked if there was an HOA, he said yes. I replied they must be hurting with the forclosures not paying HOA dues/

He did more checking and the HOA is in serious financial trouble and probably going to have to assess all. He backed away.

Be careful with foreclosures. HOA or not, the neighborhood might go shabby fast if there are many foreclosures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 12:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Recently a friend asked me to drive thru an area where there have been a lot of foreclosures. He said there were some great deals to be had. While driving around I said take a close look at the neighborhood. It is fast becoming shabby. Common areas needed work. Some empty houses. Some houses need power washing. I asked if there was an HOA, he said yes. I replied they must be hurting with the forclosures not paying HOA dues/

He did more checking and the HOA is in serious financial trouble and probably going to have to assess all. He backed away.

Be careful with foreclosures. HOA or not, the neighborhood might go shabby fast if there are many foreclosures.
A single foreclosure in an upscalish neighborhood is the best bet. A whole area of foreclosures not so good, for reasons you point out. Is Vegas full of such neighborhoods, or are there isolated foreclosures to be found?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:34 PM

28,270 posts, read 39,934,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Pretty much where I find myself wanting to be. I've spent my life maintaining, working, fixing, etc. Enough already, I want to relax and travel, not work on a house and yard. The place we looked at in Las Vegas even had a wood working shop so I wouldn't have to set one up myself. Perfect.
Quote:
I read today that LV has the highest rate of foreclosures in the country--so it's fortunately for you a buyer's market at this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post

Quote:
A single foreclosure in an upscalish neighborhood is the best bet. A whole area of foreclosures not so good, for reasons you point out. Is Vegas full of such neighborhoods, or are there isolated foreclosures to be found?
The community where we are looking has no foreclosures to my knowledge, and I've researched on realtor.com quite a bit. Housing prices are a bit steeper than outside the community, but then the amenities there are amazing, and the HOA fees are very reasonable. A CDer that lives there gave us a Grand Tour the last time we were in LV and we did like what we saw.

Other options at this time include northern FL around Ferandina Beach, and the St. Augustine area. Mrs. Tek found a community near Naples, FL, but I think it would too hot and humid, even for us. Knoxville TN, and the surrounding environs. Summerville area outside Charleston, SC. And, of course Henderson NV. We researched a number of other places, but found reasons to not pursue them. Usually cost of living, weather, availability of a good airport, etc. For us nearness to family has zero bearing on the decision.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:22 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,947,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Put in two raised beds for veggies two years ago and puttin' in a third in the spring. Ya just can't beat home-grown!

Add the yard tractor and all's right with the world.
I do herbs - not veggies - and like the super big plastic pots that look like whiskey barrels (tried real whiskey barrels my first year and the termites had 3 meals a day for a year). Robyn

Old 10-27-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A friend of mine always went on and on about old charming houses and bought an 1890s Victorian-type 2-family, modest. Needed all cosmetics. But 'whoops' the electrical system was knob-and-tube (or whatever you call it) and the water pipe was exposed to freezing and and and. "Well maintained" ought to include systems, as unsexy as they are (don't we all prefer cosmetics?)?
Love the house in the previous pic!
You're right - it''s knob and tube. And it is ancient. FWIW - I've known people who've "updated" their houses before selling by putting in things like granite kitchen counters - while leaving the old knob and tube wiring and ancient plumbing in place. You couldn't get me to take "This Old House" as a gift.

Even systems in relatively newer houses can have problems - because they weren't built to accommodate all the electric gizmos we have today (whether you're talking about a room A/C unit or a laser printer). Even the newest houses aren't immune from these problems - since many builders during the boom were putting up houses as fast as they could and as cheap as they could. Robyn

Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
The community where we are looking has no foreclosures to my knowledge, and I've researched on realtor.com quite a bit. Housing prices are a bit steeper than outside the community, but then the amenities there are amazing, and the HOA fees are very reasonable. A CDer that lives there gave us a Grand Tour the last time we were in LV and we did like what we saw.

Other options at this time include northern FL around Ferandina Beach, and the St. Augustine area. Mrs. Tek found a community near Naples, FL, but I think it would too hot and humid, even for us. Knoxville TN, and the surrounding environs. Summerville area outside Charleston, SC. And, of course Henderson NV. We researched a number of other places, but found reasons to not pursue them. Usually cost of living, weather, availability of a good airport, etc. For us nearness to family has zero bearing on the decision.
Realtor.com is not particularly accurate when it comes to places in various states of foreclosure. If you're dealing with a condo association or HOA - best way to search is first look for liens by the association (in the public records) - and - if you find them - then search the public records for any documents relating to foreclosure. It is also possible to identify possible foreclosures by looking at the property in person (in general - troubled properties are less well maintained than other properties in a community).

We live south of Fernandina Beach and north of St. Augustine. And it is pretty hot and humid here in the summer (May through September). Although not quite as bad as Naples - because we get ocean breezes off the Atlantic - Naples doesn't get ocean breezes from the Gulf. Still - I wouldn't be telling you the truth if I said that afternoons in July and August are swell here. Note that Fernandina Beach and St. Augustine have a fair number of snowbird types. And that the St. Augustine Beaches (as well as some other beach areas here) are kind of a zoo in the summer. Robyn

Old 10-27-2011, 04:23 PM

28,270 posts, read 39,934,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Realtor.com is not particularly accurate when it comes to places in various states of foreclosure. If you're dealing with a condo association or HOA - best way to search is first look for liens by the association (in the public records) - and - if you find them - then search the public records for any documents relating to foreclosure. It is also possible to identify possible foreclosures by looking at the property in person (in general - troubled properties are less well maintained than other properties in a community).

We live south of Fernandina Beach and north of St. Augustine. And it is pretty hot and humid here in the summer (May through September). Although not quite as bad as Naples - because we get ocean breezes off the Atlantic - Naples doesn't get ocean breezes from the Gulf. Still - I wouldn't be telling you the truth if I said that afternoons in July and August are swell here. Note that Fernandina Beach and St. Augustine have a fair number of snowbird types. And that the St. Augustine Beaches (as well as some other beach areas here) are kind of a zoo in the summer. Robyn
I've been in Jacksonville twice in summer. Once in July and once in August. I got the biggest kick out of everyone complaining about how hot and humid it was when it was hotter and more humid at home in ...... Iowa.

I've been seeing a lot of foreclosures and short sales listed on realtor.com. Once we get to an area we'll be using a realtor so we'll know what's what.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I've been in Jacksonville twice in summer. Once in July and once in August. I got the biggest kick out of everyone complaining about how hot and humid it was when it was hotter and more humid at home in ...... Iowa.

I've been seeing a lot of foreclosures and short sales listed on realtor.com. Once we get to an area we'll be using a realtor so we'll know what's what.

Thanks for the info.
Iowa - . For some reason - one year my husband said he wanted to go to the Iowa State Fair. I'm not sure why - since he hates going on rides that make you dizzy - and is not a fan of fried Twinkies (although I like both of those things). But when I looked at the average weather during the fair - I said "good grief" - it's cooler and less humid in Florida! Anyway - if you can take Iowa in the summer - you'll do ok here anywhere on the east coast of Florida - and you'll enjoy our winters.

FWIW - short sales here are a total PITA. In many cases - it's hard to figure out who owns the mortgage - the entity that can give you the dispensation for the short sale. Foreclosures only a slightly smaller PITA. We are a judicial foreclosure state - and there are so many screwed up foreclosures it isn't funny.

A real estate agent can show you around - but I recommend a lawyer too if you get serious. The lawyer can cost you nothing or next to nothing. We are a title insurance state - and both realtors and lawyers (or just plain people) can be title agents and get the commission from the title insurance. In many cases - a lawyer who is a title agent will work for the commission only. OTOH - you have to keep in mind that if any professional you're using is the title agent - he or she is working for the title insurance company (it's a conflict of interest that any good professional will ask you to waive in writing). So - especially with things like foreclosures - you'll have to read the fine print in the title policy you're presented with to make sure there are no disagreeable clauses. Also - you have to keep in mind that all real estate brokers are the agents of sellers here - unless stated otherwise. They do not represent you. Robyn

Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,510,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I do herbs - not veggies - and like the super big plastic pots that look like whiskey barrels (tried real whiskey barrels my first year and the termites had 3 meals a day for a year). Robyn
We also do fresh herbs but they are in ceramic pots decorating ther front deck and handy to snip and take into the kitchen. It's half the fun of cooking!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:16 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,948,102 times
My trees aren't a few trees in the lawn, they are woods. There's no lawn, there's no maintenance of the trees - let 'em grow and when they fall, hack 'em up for firewood. Already had one do that and the person we hired to hack it up took the logs as his payment. It was a win-win situation. Our house is literally in the woods in TN. There's some cleared areas but for most of 3000 acres around us, there's woods and more woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or