U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 04:27 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,005,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Realtor.com is not particularly accurate when it comes to places in various states of foreclosure. Robyn
I agree but what is good about realtor.com is that you can see the name of the real estable business/agent that has the listing - then you can do a search for that company and get access to realtors that sell in the area as well as current listings for that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 06:11 AM

28,651 posts, read 62,590,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
...but what is good about realtor.com is that you can see the name of the
real estate business/agent that has the listing -
meh.
The listing agent has been shown on EVERY Truia and RedFin listing I've ever seen.
www.trulia.com

Quote:
...then you can do a search for that company
and get access to realtors that sell in the area as well as current listings for that area.
As for scrounging up some other agent to then get in the middle of a transaction...
or even just to go look the place over? That's rather absurd.
Call the listing agents office and make the arrangement to get in.

However, if you're in need of a "buyers agent" to do this basic research for you...
or to open doors for you or to do the other things that these people do... that's fine.
There is a role for them. But finding one is not hard.

They'll be crawling out of the woodwork at the first whiff of a qualified buyer in the neighborhood.

hth

Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 AM

28,318 posts, read 40,053,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
meh.
The listing agent has been shown on EVERY Truia and RedFin listing I've ever seen.
www.trulia.com
I can't find a way to tell that site to search for only single story homes. I tried "ranch" and "single story" in the keyword search and got no results. I don't really want to waste my time trolling though a thousand listings trying to figure out which ones are SS.

Do you know how to do that?

I appreciate any help.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,005,607 times
Quote:
meh.
www.trulia.com

As for scrounging up some other agent to then get in the middle of a transaction...
or even just to go look the place over? That's rather absurd.
Call the listing agents office and make the arrangement to get in.

However, if you're in need of a "buyers agent" to do this basic research for you...
or to open doors for you or to do the other things that these people do... that's fine.
There is a role for them. But finding one is not hard.

They'll be crawling out of the woodwork at the first whiff of a qualified buyer in the neighborhood.

hth

You completely misunderstood my post. I'm simply pointing out that if you want to find local real estate agents (to the area you want to zero in on)with current listings (unlike many on realtor.com), you can still look at realtor.com to find companies and the names of agents for those companies and go directly to their sites. I've done this many times and it works.
I'm not talking about any particular listing, getting in the middle of a transaction or whatever in the world you were talking about.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:55 AM

28,651 posts, read 62,590,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I can't find a way to tell that site to search for only single story homes.
It doesn't drill down below "single family" as a class (vs townhouse, etc).
Under "Property Type" be sure you're selecting the SFH option.

The pictures that come up from that are rather clear...
and the text portion of the listing will certainly describe the type.

Quote:
....trying to figure out which ones are SS.
Under the "Listing Type" select only the foreclosure option;
then under the "Foreclosure Type" select only the "notice of default" option.

fwiw... if your focus is on shorts you should really find a buyers agent who specializes in them.

hth

Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 AM

28,318 posts, read 40,053,571 times
Quote:
It doesn't drill down below "single family" as a class (vs townhouse, etc).
Under "Property Type" be sure you're selecting the SFH option.

The pictures that come up from that are rather clear...
and the text portion of the listing will certainly describe the type.

Under the "Listing Type" select only the foreclosure option;
then under the "Foreclosure Type" select only the "notice of default" option.

fwiw... if your focus is on shorts you should really find a buyers agent who specializes in them.

hth
It's not, I was just curious about the site you mentioned. I took a look and couldn't figure out how to eliminate multiple story homes. We are definitely not buying anything except a ranch in retirement.

Thanks for the info. That site in now bookmarked in Retirement/real estate web site.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:45 AM

14,628 posts, read 18,011,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
My trees aren't a few trees in the lawn, they are woods. There's no lawn, there's no maintenance of the trees - let 'em grow and when they fall, hack 'em up for firewood. Already had one do that and the person we hired to hack it up took the logs as his payment. It was a win-win situation. Our house is literally in the woods in TN. There's some cleared areas but for most of 3000 acres around us, there's woods and more woods.
We don't have a lawn with trees. What you're looking at is uplands adjacent to a tidal marsh with native vegetation. We maintain it to look like a park. But - if we didn't - it would be an overgrown mess in a couple of years (like it was when we bought it). FWIW - here's a real estate listing (with pictures) of one of the few lots left for sale in our community:

231 Deer Colony Ln Ponte Vedra Beach FL - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #556496 - Realtor.com®

Like our lot before we built - it has a ton of native vegetation (although the vegetation is somewhat different than ours because the nature of the land is different than ours).

Note that our HOA rules (and local laws) require the preservation of large existing trees if possible when building - and our HOA rules also require appropriate maintenance. For example - when all our red bay trees were wiped out (An Undefended Buffet: The Unnecessary Extinction of the Redbay, a Defining Southern Tree, by Susan Cerulean : Articles : Terrain.org) - homeowners were required to get rid of them. It's not only a matter of aesthetics - dead vegetation is very dangerous during our dry fire season. Also - we like to thin out our tree canopies so our trees don't come down in storms (our water table gets very high after heavy rains - and it doesn't take much wind to bring down a large tree with a dense canopy). Robyn

Old 10-28-2011, 01:09 PM

8,795 posts, read 10,918,857 times
About 10 years ago, we switched from a single-family home to condos (upscale, 1850-2200sf range)-- We are now working on our third condo and have no interest in moving back to a single house (maintenance, upkeep, loss of freedom to travel on a moment's notice, ammenities (eg; waterfront, pools, excercise/media areas, etc.).

When we first moved to a condo, I was afraid that it would seem confining, noisey and lacking in privacy (like living in an apartment), but, we found it to be completely the opposite! (Part of the trick is staying away from condos with short-term rentals). While HOA fees often seem high to some, one needs to weigh them against similar costs in a home (insurance, water, cable, pool, landscaping, total maintenance, trash service, major upkeep items ... eg; Roof, HVAC, Painting, etc).

We've also found the 'marketability' of condos to be more convenient ('lookers' are not simply 'tire-kicking' neighborhoods, etc; with multiple condos for sale in the same complex/building, traffic is multiplied; 'curb appeal' and outside maintenance is always good; 'good locations and views' remain 'good locations and views' - without the downside of neighbors (or foreclosures) who do not maintain their property or park junkers in the yard; etc.) -- The same cannot be said for all condos, but, we've stuck with upscale properties that offer what we want.

Ironically, we moved from a house to get away from the maintenance, upkeep, etc., .... yet, I've been on (and been President) of multiple HOA boards. (I've found the 'trick' there to be: 'stay out of people's private business and don't become a 'resident manager' whom everyone calls with problems). For those who want to get on with the business of living in their homes ... without the hassle and unexpected expenses of taking care of them, condos work nicely.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,995,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
(Part of the trick is staying away from condos with short-term rentals).
What's the best way to do that? Do you need to stick to places with HOA agreements that expressly forbid short rentals?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 PM

30,777 posts, read 49,642,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Recently a friend asked me to drive thru an area where there have been a lot of foreclosures. He said there were some great deals to be had. While driving around I said take a close look at the neighborhood. It is fast becoming shabby. Common areas needed work. Some empty houses. Some houses need power washing. I asked if there was an HOA, he said yes. I replied they must be hurting with the forclosures not paying HOA dues/

He did more checking and the HOA is in serious financial trouble and probably going to have to assess all. He backed away.

Be careful with foreclosures. HOA or not, the neighborhood might go shabby fast if there are many foreclosures.
Gotta stay away from HOAs completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or