U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 AM

4,281 posts, read 10,735,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Gotta stay away from HOAs completely.
I disagree. I have lived under several HOA's including my present one, and I am very satisfied.

The issues/problems are in one defining their own desires and understanding there will be limits on what they can/cannot do. Those that end up having issues generally did not do their homework/due diligence before buying into an HOA.

Step 1: Read and understand the covenants.
Step 2: Read and understand the HOA Budget.
Step 3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 until you do understand.

When all is said and done, some will not fit into/under an HOA. In this case they should stay away for their sake and the sake of existing HOA members as it would be a marriage made in hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 04:36 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,477,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That's insane!
Yes, and you cannot have more than one shed in your backyard and it must be a pefab, meaning there be no nails used to put it together. Where my mom lived you were not allowed to hang clothes outside or erect fences. You could, however, mark your property with shrubs.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In my state you have to get a permit for additions, outbuildings, electrical, and plumbing. If you add a bathroom you're in for a big tax hike.

Do the tax officials come in to do an interior tour before tax assessment time?? If not, the only other way they could know about any improvements is if you're required to get a permit.
They roam around the neighborhood and see the material that you put out for trash. People often get construction guys to do work for them ONLY if they also cart away all debris.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:42 PM

30,680 posts, read 49,443,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes, and you cannot have more than one shed in your backyard and it must be a pefab, meaning there be no nails used to put it together. Where my mom lived you were not allowed to hang clothes outside or erect fences. You could, however, mark your property with shrubs.
Which are all perfect reasons to avoid HOAs.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julypaddler View Post
We sold our house two months ago and are renting, with every intention of downsizing to a low maintenance house. We've spent the last weeks looking at 55+ communities, new houses, old ranches, etc. trying to make a decision. Yesterday we saw a house that was built in 1880 but seems to have been well maintained and is within walking distance of an amazing downtown area. We see a money pit but a very charming one!...and are thinking it may be a better investment than some of our other choices. Should we stick we our original resolve or go with the charmer?
Thanks! :-)
Think in terms of not being able to personally do the work around the house. If you can afford to have it done, than being close to town, doctors, hospitals, things to do, etc, is better than being out in the sticks.

If you don't have the disposable cash, go for the easy maintenance. A nice looking house gets old pretty fast when all it represents is another endless job.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:09 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,897,864 times
I am with you...went from several acres to a townhome w/no landscaping maintenance-love it... but do miss the wildlife, so much, that frequently appeared...

moved from a 2-story built in 1861-restored and updated, to a 1400 sq ft one-level place-took adjustment, but all is ok now.

I DO miss the privacy! And storage-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Looking for a single story home in an area that takes care of the outside maintenance. I was an avid gardener and yard worker my entire life and, to be honest, I'm sick of it. With my reduced energy levels it takes me forever and since it takes so long to get things done it's a continuous cycle.. Time to have someone else to it for me.

Besides, If someone else is keeping the yard up we can travel whenever we want!!

Old 10-29-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by goldengrain

Quote:

Nope. No HOA. Just a small town in New Jersey.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:27 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,890,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Quote:
Which are all perfect reasons for living with an HOA.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:32 PM

71,526 posts, read 71,712,424 times
after having a neighbor in nyc next door who repaired cars in the alley way between our homes and woke us up every weekend i dont mind the rules in an hoa.
most of the rules we have are for the betterment of everyone. after 5 years in our hoa for the most part the rules are transparent to us and i havent found not 1 limiting anything i wanted to do.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:48 PM

419 posts, read 657,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I am with you...went from several acres to a townhome w/no landscaping maintenance-love it... but do miss the wildlife, so much, that frequently appeared...

moved from a 2-story built in 1861-restored and updated, to a 1400 sq ft one-level place-took adjustment, but all is ok now.

I DO miss the privacy! And storage-
I live in an older (built in 1985) condo community consisting of 43 units. We are tucked back into an area consisting of upscale older homes. These units were built with privacy in mind and 13 acres of common area. Wildlife is abundant in the area which we see on a daily basis. For whatever reason, a doe gave birth just 30 feet from my back patio in the Spring of 2010. Simply amazing! We have spectacular views and are only minutes from the beautiful restored downtown area.

This is not a 55+ community but the residents are older because of the desirability of the single story units. A very peaceful community with common sense CC&R's. A few people have lived here ever since they were built & others are long time residents. These condos very rarely go on the market and when they do, they sell quickly if priced right. It is all about location and quality of life.

Like everything else, it seems we only hear of the horror stories of living in an HOA community. Pre-conceived notions may prevent you from living in a maintenance free serene community. As another poster mentioned, do your homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or